Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

41 with MCI and very conscience of the changes

I have taken a neuropsych test 6 hours and brain mapping. I notice the changes drastically. I'm not the same person that I used to be. I don't like the new me and have a lot of regret for how I've spent my time and how I will spend what is left. I'm scared and severely depressed. I feel invisible to those around me. Mo one seems to think it is a big deal like I do. Then again, it's my life and not theirs.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Mrs Robinson. In addition to your neurocognitive testing, did you have blood tests and an MRI to search for medical causes of memory loss, which are called dementia mimics? Are you on medications which may have memory loss as a side effect, alone or in combination? Have you been on treatment for depression? Are you working now? How are you living day by day?

Iris

• klucey
    klucey Member Posts: 41
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I completely understand what you are going through. I struggle with regrets and have difficulty remembering positive things from my life before. I have financial and people issues that make me worry about how I’ll cope in the future. I also have other serious health issues. A year ago I was doing great. What’s helping; connecting with friends and being around people; therapy; tv, watching tv crosswords and brain games, reading the newspaper, cognitive behavioral therapy, walking, eating food I like, sharing my diagnosis helps normalize it to a degree and helps me not feel like I’m carrying the burden alone. Lately, I notice periods of acceptance : this is simply the way it is and not to beat myself up that I’m not achieving any even small goals. as for what to do in the future be patient. Identify what makes you happy and do that.

your illness,

• klucey
    klucey Member Posts: 41
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I’m also struggling with severe depression //in addition to what I mentioned above it would be wise to see a psychiatric provider who can prescribe medications to reduce depression and anxiety

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more