Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

dementia engagement services

eblakey
eblakey Member Posts: 1 Member

As a caregiver of a parent with vascular dementia, I'm looking to offer engaging outings for families of people with dementia. This could be morning coffee or lunch with some kind of light physical activity or stimulating interaction. My hope is to provide individuals with dementia a routine that inspires, promotes self-purpose, and leaves them feeling happy. Also, I want to give family caretakers a moment for themselves and their mental health. My time caring for my Mother has opened my eyes to the fact that this is needed by members of our aging community. I've seen the benefits first hand as my Mother was making scheduled outings with a person offering the same kind of engagement. However, something I'm struggling to figure out is what kind of state required qualifications (if any?...) would I need to meet in order to provide such a service AND how would I safeguard myself from possible litigation in the event an unstable person takes a fall on my clock? Any thoughts or personal experiences are greatly appreciated. Thank you and take care, All!

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,071
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

See a good lawyer for the answers you are looking for.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I think this is a great idea. Leeza Gibbons started her own organization for PWDs. Would you be interested in joining with an existing group? Call your local chapter and see if this is offered in your locale or nearby. Speak with a Care Consultant.

Iris

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

We do not have the knowledge you would need for such an endeavor; the suggestion you seek legal advice from an attorney is a good one and will help to keep yous and your client safer. In all probability, you would also need some kind of insurance, a lawyer can advise you.

Some areas already do have such groups; one has to find them. Try contacting the Alzheimer's Assn. office in your area; they may have information. Various support groups also often know of such entities and share information.

Also, if you have not already done so, try using Google to see if any cafe's or coffee shops, etc. may have special days/times for families who have a Loved One with dementia; some areas do.

Best of luck,

J.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CaliforniaGirl-1
    CaliforniaGirl-1 Member Posts: 125
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

The MC unit where my LO is offers outings but they have a pretty high ratio of familiar caregivers to residents on them.

When I take my LO out for a meal or coffee, I always bring another person, preferably one of my adult kids so that my LO is never unattended for a moment and surrounded by people they recognizes and love. And even then there is always the possibility that something will go awry.

I guess what I am saying is taking strangers with dementia out is going to take a lot of thought and planning and is likely to be frightening for them rather than relaxing and stimulating, If you want to provide help to the caregivers going over to the house to do an activity seems more likely to help.

I don't mean to be a downer but given my small and specific experience this doesn't seem realistic without infrastructure, training and more people and a lot of liability insurance.

I can absolutely imagine how helpful it might be to have someone come over and be introduced and do a one on one activity or show them slides of travel or something like that. I bet a lot of people would be grateful for that kind of help and the PWD would enjoy it.

Don't mean to be negative. Sorry

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney