Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Repetitive Sound

SesinMA
SesinMA Member Posts: 1 Member

My 95-year-old father was diagnosed in 2018 with moderate-sever Alzheimer’s (at that time primarily in the medial/temporal lobes) and lives with my 96-year-old mother in an independent living facility.  He is on Memantin (5mg) an Donepezil (10mg).   Over the last year or my father began to rub his tongue along his cheek and occasionally make a “clicking” sound by sucking or moving his tongue. In recent weeks, he has begun to make that sound almost constantly, driving my mother crazy. She becomes frustrated and tells him to stop, he isn’t aware he is doing which makes her more frustrated, she continues to tell him to stop it, and on and on.  Recently, he is starting to tell her she is getting crabby and grouchy (which she is) but this is a personality change for him – he would never criticize her in any way.  Any thoughts on what might be going on or advice on how to lessen the clicking? Perhaps a medication tweak or addition? Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Comments

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi SesinMA - welcome to 'here', but sorry for the reason.

Sorry, I am not familiar with that particular activity, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to tell his doc. MIL is also on those meds, and over the past year, the memantine was increased just a bit due to agitation issues, which helped a lot.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Repetitive behaviors are common in neurological disorders- think of a child with autism who performs a rocking movement. These may be a way of self-soothing, of reducing anxiety. Yes, meditation can help.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more