Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caregiving & College?

Hi everyone! I’m a new poster but long time lurker. I haven’t seen any threads on this topic so I thought I’d ask. I’ve been caregiving for more than a year for my grandma with dementia (taking shifts almost with another relative). I started caregiving when I was around 18 or 19 and I had to drop out of college, there was other reasons too though. But now I feel like I’ve gotten to a place where I can apply to go back to college. Im wondering if any other caregivers balanced going to school and caregiving? Most of my classes are online so I’ll most likely be doing work while watching her. Thanks, all answers appreciated!

Comments

• Olly_Bake
    Olly_Bake Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    edited September 2023

I did not balance going to college and caregiving. However, I did balance working a full-time customer service job from home along with caregiving to my dad, in my home, before we transitioned him back to his home. It was a challenge. Often my short break was used to get him a quick snack and a bathroom run. Let's just say it didn't always work out. Many days when it was time to get back on the phone, lol, suddenly he was hungry or needed to go to the restroom. I also had to get him ready for the day before my shift started and I had cameras to keep a watchful eye while working.

So if you want to give this a shot, go for it but just know it will be challenging. I hope others will share their thoughts soon.

• BookBuffBex
    BookBuffBex Member Posts: 40
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

It's great that you are ready to tackle college again. I think the answer is in how much hands on care does your Grandma require? Only you know how disruptive your grandma might be to your studying. Does she talk a lot, ask a lot of questions when you are caring for her? Does she need your help to go the bathroom?

I know that when I try to work around my mother, she can't comprehend why I might get frustrated by being interrupted. Her needs are all that matter and they must be met immediately. I would not be able to concentrate while also caregiving, but that is me.

Maybe try one class and see how it goes? Speak with the other family members/caregivers about schedule changes that will work for you. I hope they will encourage you to pursue your education.

Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney