Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Aricept

My husband has just started Aricept , it is 10 mg. at night.he was recently diagnosed with Parkinsonism/Lewy Body dementia. Have you had good results? Any bad side effects..the neurologist did say it could cause nausea or stomach issues. This is all new ...learning as we go.

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 566
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

My mother could not take it due to violent nausea

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,747
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband with LBW was given 5g once a day for 6 weeks. If tolerated then an additional 5g a day taken in the evening. There was no noticeable benefit after about 6 weeks so it was discontinued.

There were no side effects.

What meds for the Parkinson's are being given?

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 677
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

It's what my DH takes. His neurologist switched him from rivastigmine/Exelon to donepezil/Aricept, which he says is the more preferred one of the three off label meds for Lewy Body. If taken with food, it may help solve the stomach nausea problems. Good luck!

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

My DH has a diagnosis of MCI and has been on aricept for almost 2 years. The only thing we have noticed are muscle cramps. If I make sure he is well hydrated they are not an issue. We are both under 60 and still working so it is harder to monitor his fluids. I keep Gatorade and packets of liquid IV on hand.

• Watson1
    Watson1 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Anniversary

I ve been on aricept for over two weeks now take it at night as recommended some leg cramps but other wise ok

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Paula, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to come for information and advice. My husband took Aricept for 2 or 3 years, starting from the beginning. It was hard to tell if it was helpful or not. It did give him more leg cramps at night. He had the leg cramps prior to the cognitive problems though, from peripheral neuropathy caused by a chemo drug several years prior. He was prescribed Gabapentin for the leg cramps which helped a lot. It also made him sleepy at night. Everyone reacts differently to these drugs. It’s seems like it’s trial and error.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more