Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to mothers ALZ

eberesford
eberesford Member Posts: 2
First Comment
edited November 2023 in Caring for a Parent

Hello - I'm Erik and I have been holding so much emotion inside since my mom's formal diagnosis of ALZ. My family lived a very tumultuous life as a child leading to my parents always living a part. My mom went onto 3 ex-husbands in search of love, while raising 3 boys on her own. She found her prince of 20 years who is a blessing in her overall care. I'm incredibly sad as the person, I admired her for her strength and family guidance and has now lost so many of her faculties. I'm crushed. I live on the east coast and they live in California. I never thought this would be my family and I hope to forge many friends through this journey. 😔 I have no friends who would understand and I'm at a loss in how to ask for support. God bless 🙏

Comments

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

God bless you Erik. Losing the parent you knew, no matter if the relationship was close or strained, is such a difficult thing. I am not as far along on the journey as some on this forum, but I have found that the losses and challenges seem to evolve in new ways over time. I get so involved in the practical issues, then something will come up that reminds me of the person my mom was before dementia began stealing her from us, and I find myself grieving. I was long distance too until I had to move her close to me for her safety. It is true that it's rare to find friends who understand, unless they've been through it. Blessings to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more