Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Home Help

Hi, I am a 21yo and I live with my Grandma who is late stage in dementia. I need help finding homes. I am in constant therapy for PTSD from the abuse and need guidance. I feel like either I go into a psych hospital or find her a home. If there's any recs that someone can give me I would be most grateful.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. Do you have the opportunity to move out? At 21 i am very sorry you are in this situation. Your parents and/or aunts or uncles need to take responsibility for your grandmother; this is the time in your life that you should be focusing on yourself and establishing your own life. There is a free hotline that might be able to give you some ideas, ask to speak to a care consultant 1-800-272-3900. I wish you well.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

I’m sorry you have to be here, but glad you found this place. If you’re comfortable saying what state you live in, someone might be able to give you specific facility recommendations.

Who holds the POA for your grandmother? Without proper medical and legal POAs, placing her will not be easy. If no family members have them, then you might need to pursue guardianship to be able to place her. You might also consider reaching out to APS.

Do you have a place to go to or do you live with her?

Like @M1 said, are there any older family members able to step up and help and/or take over? I suspect the answer is “no”, otherwise they would be in the picture already. Please post when you can to vent, ask for advice, etc. This site is a great resource of information and full of people who know exactly what you’re going through.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more