Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Transitioning from Home to a Care Facility

VickiSS
VickiSS Member Posts: 2
First Comment
My mother still lives with her partner and always been adamant that she won't live anywhere else. But due to her partner's health problems and her own cognitive decline, that may not be feasible for much longer. I'm looking for some guidance on how to have a kind but effective conversation about the need for her to have full time care and why she can no longer live alone.

Comments

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions
    edited January 6

Where is she in her cognitive decline? Does she have a diagnosis of dementia?

I ask because at a certain point the time to reason will have been passed. The disease will create an inability to use logic and reasoning. A lot of people with dementia have anosogosia, where they lack the capacity to sense the changes dementia is causing. They will not agree there's an issue. In that case it might be easier to make it about meeting the partner's increasing needs and put a framework of support in place for her cognitive issues without her knowing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more