Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early onset Alzheimer’s (Stage 7)

Kenny24
Kenny24 Member Posts: 1 Member
We knew dad had been struggling for years with depression and insomnia but nothing prepared us for the effects of early onset Alzheimer’s. My mom has always been a working mom, 60 hours a week, every week without taking any sick days. My dad struggled with holding down jobs and was dealing with mental illness year after year. It wasn’t until he reached the age of 60 the signs of Alzheimer’s really started to make their presence known. Quickly the disease worsened as we went through 5 stages in what seemed a couple of months. Luckily I live near my mom and have been able to take care of my dad whenever he was having bad days. A couple of my sibling since have moved closer to home so we rotate responsibilities. Fast forward my dad is 63 years old and we are on the final stage of Alzheimer’s. Sadly his memory is completely gone along with the ability to eat on his own, go to the bathroom on his own and even stand up straight has all gone away. We have been panicking trying to find housing options but have been rejected to get him set up on Medicare. Memory care facilities are 5k avg and we are at a lost of how to get him into a care facilities. At 27 yr old this is definitely not something I was prepared for but I’ve learned a lot from the experience.

Comments

• Gigi S
    Gigi S Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Hi Kenny, as a 24yo with a mom in early onset, I empathize with your struggles. I have also tried to make a mental note on how I’d like to approach things differently if this were to ever happen to me. There’s so much I wish I couldv’e ‘prepared’ for, but as my mom’s been the first person in my family to have alzheimer’s, it has definitely been a learn as you go experience.

The cost of memory care facilities absolutely baffle me with a disease as prominent as Alzheimer’s. There ought to be more resources, I’ve seen too often people with struggles in getting their loved ones that extra care because of finances - am in a similar boat.

Thinking of you and yours !

This is a great community to be part of, have learned a lot in just a few weeks myself x

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Kenny, don't despair. You need to talk to a certified elder law attorney as soon as possible, he should qualify for Social Security disability if he worked enough to contribute to the system, AND he should be able to qualify for Medicaid: Medicaid, which is a state-specific program, covers long-term care, while Medicare does not (he may qualify for that too, if he qualifies for SSDI). Definitely talk to an attorney, there are more options than you might think. It's worth the expense. Certified elder law attorneys (CELA's) can be found by location at nelf.org. Please don't not do it. Many offer free initial consultations, and some make house calls.

You have come to a very supportive community; read a lot of threads, and you will learn a lot. So sorry you are facing this at such a young age.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more