Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Planning a Family Forum

Hi, everyone. I am in charge of planning a support group for resident's families, but I have been working in memory care for only about 5 months now. Yes, I have learned a lot about dementia and Alzheimer's and have a range of topics I would like to talk about at this family forum, but I would love to hear what other caregivers/family members/ those affected by dementia/alz have to say. What are some topics that I should 100% cover at my quarterly support groups?? Thanks!

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,745
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Quarterly support group?

I would gather up info about local resources and please include our message board and current protocol on diagnosis.

I would not include any facility names.

Other than that I would just let the discussion evolve around the groups needs.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

In my opinion quarterly isn't nearly often enough. Most of the dementia caregiver support groups in my area meet monthly. The progression of this disease, especially if other co-morbidities are present, is such that great changes in the PWD's status can sometimes occur in a matter of weeks. For families looking for advice and support three months can feel like an eternity. As for the focus, I agree with jfkoc above. Provide basic information and resources and let the group drive the discussion.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I've been to two different support groups in my area. One was through the local modern maturity center. It was lead by a nurse who had less dementia experience than I did and most of the time was taken by a local AL/MC facility so they could do their sales pitch. Needless to say I didn't return.

The second group was completely different. The facilitator let the members bring up topics and ask questions. The members provided a lot of insight as did the retired social worker who facilitated the meeting. She emails attendees prior to the meeting to see if we have topics we want to bring up and sends followup emails with info about any of the resources we discussed. I leave that meeting feeling heard and truly connected to the other members.

I encourage you to have information about local resources, avoid sales pitches, and, especially at the first meeting, listen to what the members need. Good luck with it. Do well.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,745
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

added; contact your local Alz Azzoc office and get a list of all meetings in the area to distribute

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 173
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I'm reading this as the LO's with AD are in memory care already? Based on my experience with my mom, who had dementia, in assisted living, I would suggest you blend topics about the actual disease itself (I am embarrassed to say how little I knew about my mom's dementia at the time) and topics about how to work with MC staff and the daily life of someone at your facility. Do you have certain activities that are designed (or could be adapted) for the individual and a family member to do together - art? music? special meals or snacks? Communication tips - with LO's and also with staff? Ask your life enrichment staff to talk about how they choose activities? These suggestions could be for a 15 minute presentation at the beginning of the meeting and then turn it over to a facilitator for a discussion of something related, or topics that the group brings up.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more