Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (194)

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Marie, glad the appointments went well and both of them are improving. I know it's been hard for you. Wonder how liquid got behind your mother's eardrum?

Judith, I bet you were almost a walking zombie. I know I would have been. Try the Zen music!

It has been cool windy here today. Took down the flag last night and today the driveway alarm has gone off every few minutes. Thought it was picking up on the flag moving so tried to fix that. Got worse so think it was a couple of the cows in line of the thing. We took a short nap and it's still going off. Maybe the wind will lay soon.

• Lorita

Judith, looks like you're under a severe thunderstorm warning. Be careful. Supposed to.be here around 9-10. might have some hail. I've covered windshields twice but don't think I will this time. Iris, did the Zen music help to relax you so you could sleep?

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I was not zombie like at all.

We had a bit of rain but that is it so far. It has been windy. No alerts.

• jfkoc

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 7

Judith, what were you doing that kept you wide awake for 36 hours?

I ran errands all day, now I'm still awake.

Iris

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning rockers! It hasn't started yet, but suppose to be a rainy week. Lou's sitter has been and still is sick since last Wednesday. I haven't been able to get out of the house, but probably needed the rest anyway.

Hope all is well!

Ron

• Lorita

Morning, all's well here as far as I know. Haven't been out to feed the birds yet but heard GL go through the gate to graze. Watched one morning news show while I had breakfast. Better get out and feed the birds before they come in after me- I hear them now.

Ron, same here. Several days this week of clouds and rain. Afraid the people who drove many miles to see the total eclipse in our State may be disappointed. Can always watch it on tv as I will. Have a good Sunday.

• Lorita
    edited April 7

Judith, where are you this morning. Time to check in.

MInt,are you okay?

Checked on Dsrwin. Says he is up but not at 'em yet. He wants to get outside more today. Believe it or not there is no wind today, so far.

I went out on the porch to feed the birds and must have had my mouth open because I inhaled something. Okay now. I have a loaf of bread in to make and just took pumpkin spice muffins out of the oven. We can sit on the porch and munch on the! this afternoon and watch the ducks on the pond- might be geese.

I'm watching bull riding now, then Denim & Co. Then finally the women's basketball finals Watched a good show last night. I think it Is pretty old but never saw it- Hoosiers. Have you all seen it?

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I hope Judith is just catching up on her sleep!

I'm watching tennis. Miss playing since can't leave LO alone 😪

Lorita, I'll take a pumpkin muffin - yummy!

JeriLynn how's your office coming along? I think you're leaving tomorrow for New York with you granddaughter, have a great time!

Ron, glad to see you posting, hope you have a peaceful day. How's your mouth?

HB, Mint, Iris, Sandy, Joan, Judith and everyone else on porch, enjoy your Sunday xo

• Iris L.

Good morning! I awoke early @7:15 am but I'm still tired, I'm still in bed. Pumpkin spice muffins--yum! I'll have one! Thanks!

Iris

• jfkoc

Checking in late. I stayed in bed and watched my Sunday orning TV plus NOVA. I had no idea why this eclispe is so valuable scientifically.

Well, 36 hours only meant one night with no sleep.

I wil tackle the last Elfa rolling fiole today. My shreader has really had a work out. Last Tax paper arrived yesterday so I will get the info to the accountant tomorrow.

Anyone else watching Netflix? Finished Ripley last night. Loved it.

• Lorita

There's plenty. I always add maybe half a cup of chocolate chips since I love chocolate. Just had one.

Caro, Charles and I used to watch tennis every time we could. Loved to watch Federer play but since he retired sort of lost interest. Always thought I would like to play. One of my nieces, Scarlet, played and loved it.

Just started to say I would give Judith a few more minutes before I called but just saw her post. Glad you're okay and reclaimed some of your lost sleep. I need to shred in the worst way but think I'll try to find a calm day and burn everything in an empty mineral tub. I have tax returns probably 20 years old. Think we need to save them seven years. Never watched Netflix. I have fewer channels now but probably enough. Wish I could single, extra channels.

Iris, e joy a lazy day. I used to watch TV in bed but since the bedroom TV was ruined I haven't replaced it. Maybe that's for the better. Time for basketball.

Enjoy your day. Still Need to hear from Mint.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Well good morning Rockers! I'll take a muffin and a cup of coffee please… we were off to Taco Bet flea market this morning and traded off the two egg eating chickens, got 2 more yellow Buff Orphingtons, 2 something I don't even know and DH bought me 2 white Silkie youngsters to raise.

Then got home to my daughters and their sick dog had died, so we've buried him. He was a Blue Heeler. He probably had cancer. He had perked up this morning, so they felt ok to go with us to the market. I told them he knew and perked up to say goodbye and then waited for them to leave to save them from the hurt of watching. Just breaks my heart for them. But, and I believe this, he went on before the Granddaughter and I left for New York (this Thursday) so she wouldn't have to get that news while being away from home. Animals know. We're taking the girls out for supper to get them out of the house and just love on them. I won't be surprised if there is a new puppy in their future.

It's sunny and warm today with rains starting tonight. DH is working on a 4 wheeler for me since I cannot for the life of me shift the gears in that side-by-side. I'm almost done with my office. A few more pictures to hang. Then store all the Shop documents in the garage when tax season is ended.

The Barn Swallows have returned to inspect their two nests they've built last year - on my front porch columns. They make a mess, but I love to watch when they hatch out their babies. Oh and boy howdy they chase that big hawk! They put up a fuss and defend their nest. Spring is my favorite time of year with new life all around us.

• Lorita

Sorry about the blue heeler.Mother used to have one called Rowdy that would protect her.. Animals are so much smarter than people think so I agree with you.

We used to have a lot of barn swallows who would build nests on our front porch. We enjoyed watching them when the little ones would fledge. There was one over the sunroom door on the porch and one day we came home and a water moccasin (had crawled up the wall to the nest and either got eggs or little birds. None have built complete nests since. There are rows of mud where they woud begin, then stop. One of the globe porch lights is almost covered with mud. I miss watching them but guess they remember the snake and won't build. Nature is really sonething, isn't it?

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

So true about nature. First thing when I get up, and before LO wakes, I take my doggies out back to do their business. I sit and listen to and watch the birds sing their morning songs, Once in a while we have wild parrots around here and I love listening to them cackle and fly from tree to tree. I try to spend as much time as I can tending to my monarch caterpillars; watching them munch on milkweed from 1st instar to 5th; then watching them pupate and finally after a few weeks, watch the beautiful Monarch butterfly emerge! Nature is truly amazing!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Judith that was interesting about the peepers and the Maple syrup. The Amish that we go and buy from are done with their maple syrup I believe and it will be time pretty soon if not already for the peepers. I don’t get to hear any peepers where I live anymore and I miss that. I always so enjoyed hearing the peepers. When we lived in the country when I was a teenager, there was this one road that had no houses on it at that time and was swampy and I would roll down my windows as I drove down the road to listen to the peepers. That’s a good memory.

Marie, thankful for the good news that you got.

Hi JoC

I thought I had posted. I did write but forgot to post ,sorry. Remember, though there is two people that have access to phone numbers that would be aware if something happened and I wasn’t connecting with them but thank you for your concern.
    Usually I’m back on your several times a day, but today has been a busy day for me. Im just now checking in again.

it’s been a beautiful day here, i’m sitting on the closed in porch, eating supper. I weeded a little bit more of my flower bed today. I still got more to do. They’re giving rain most of the week so we’ll see. I do think they said it might be sunny tomorrow morning but I have to make breakfast for my nephew and go check on my mom so we’ll just see if I have any time to do anything. I also had to do some work that took a little bit of time at mom’s house.

i’m sure there’s still one of those lovely muffins left for me on the porch.

yes, nature is something Lorita. This morning when I was outside I heard all kinds of pretty birds. It’s such a beautiful noise.

Hope each one gets a good nights rest

• Lorita

Plenty of.muffins left, MInt. Peepers, maple syrup? How did I miss that? What is a peeper? A frog? We used to hear bull frogs at night or after a rain. Seldom do any more.

Does someone have your number, MInt? Just watched the women's basketball final. South Carolina won. Did you watch it, Shirley? Hope you are doing all right.

I need to get outside and take the GPs for a walk. Back later.

• Mint

Peepers and maple syrup was a Judith post yesterday. A peeper is a frog. I’m not sure what type of frog but it’s not a bullfrog. They make beautiful music. If you go to the YouTube channel, Naturally Peaceful Video, you can hear them do their thing. I believe they are a small frog.

• Iris L.

JeriLynn,do your daughters know about the Rainbow Bridge poem? I have found it to be very comforting and I recited it when I had to say good-bye to my cat Callie.

I searched for "Naturally Peaceful" on YT but several nature videos came up, so I don't know which ones have peepers. So I searched for peepers sounds--I hear them now!

NASA will live stream the eclipse tomorrow. I plan to watch online. I watched the last eclipse in 2017. It's a beautiful spring day here in SoCal.

Does anyone eat Pop-Tarts? I had my last couple today.

I took Simon outside so he could chew on the grass, he really likes that.

Iris

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

Yes, Iris I do eat Poptart's. I only like the strawberry ones with no icing on them. I like to toast them and put butter on them. They are hard to find sometimes so when I see some I will pick up a few cartons of them.

Not too much going on with me, I read the post daily, but it's hard to keep up with all of you, you're all so busy.

Take care all, Hugs Zetta

• Iris L.

I like the brown sugar cinnamon PopTarts.

• Lorita

I have eaten pop tarts but really like toaster strudel much better. They have more filling and I think a better crust plus good icing you put on after toasting. They're in the frozen foods section.

I've heard those sounds my whole life, mostly in the summer and after a rain. I used to tell Charles they were spiders. Carol says they are tree frogs.

Did Ron post today? I'm going to have to read more.

Talked to Darwin a while ago and he said he went out and cut wood today and feels much better than he does when he stays in. Guess you can't keep a good man down.

Now I'm going to.have to.have a toaster strudel or gelato. Sleep well tonight. Oh, we had a new baby today. I saw the cow coming up by herself, (girls had changed pastures). Mike came to check cows and saw her and found the calf. She's keeping it away from the others while they bond. Of course I worry that they're not with the others because of coyotes but he says they'll be all right.

Sleep tight!

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Ron

• Mint

Good morning Ron and each and everyone

i have never liked pop tarts, not even when I was a child. I do like toaster strudels but haven’t eaten one in years.

Keep rocking Zetta, it is ok if you don’t keep up totally, just hang in there.

Take Care

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning! Lots of frogs around my ponds. Turtles too, but they eat the fish so…. Physical therapy for me today. Visit my FIL and take his favorite dark chocolate. Pick up a prescription and try on the new clothes I bought for my trip. Maybe a little flower bed work between showers today and tomorrow. I've decided no major projects for me until I return from my trip. I tend to "overload my wagon" 🙄😏

Have a great day today and see you later!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning Porchlings.

Ronald— I hope you get some good news around your recent imagining soon.

Sasue— Ducky the donkey is adorable. The setting makes a lovely picture.

Telinde— You're coming up on the move soon. I hope things go smoothly from here on. I bet you're excited to get in.

Mint— I hope the day passes without any drama from the eclipse crowd. I do hope it is worth the drive for those making the effort to travel. We were in SC for the 2017 eclipse right on the totality line and it wasn't very impressive because of the cloud cover. Certainly not worth the 16-hour drive. That said, DH's older brother died 10 days after so I'm glad we made the trip.

JeriLynn— I'm sorry about the loss of the pup. That's always hard.

Have a great time in NYC. It looks like you'll have some showers, so pack your rain gear for sure.

Lorita— It is a bittersweet thing to think of a beloved family homestead being repurposed by new people who don't know or care about its history. My parents upgraded their housing over the years, so they never developed the nostalgia one might about a family home. Dad was proud of the house which I bought from him as proof of his arrival in a nicer zip code (it's quite modest compared to newer homes in the area) and of having 2 homes in retirement, but they had no connection to a "family home". That said, when my cousin elected to sell the home he'd inherited from his mother, my mom and her surviving sister tried mightily to guilt him out of it. I'm ashamed to say they got a little pushy with him.

I hope Sarah's tube feedings are going as they should and that she's getting stronger.

Iris and Lady Z— You two are making me chuckle discussing the nuances of Pop Tarts. I am relieved to know that other adults actually consume these things. My DH is something of an addict; he was very salty that Costco didn't have them this week. He prefers the frosted kind but they have to be fruit rather than novelty flavors. The store I usually shop does have much selection, but the one I take mom to has pretty much every wacky flavor made— Snickerdoodle, Strawberry Milkshake, Banana Bread and Apple Jacks as well as the OG version without the frosting.

Judith— Ah the singing frogs. They have a species in Bermuda that's especially calming. I've been known to chill to their songs. My mom has had a massive bullfrog in her front garden the last couple of years. He's not particularly skittish; he hung out while I put in a dozen coral bells last spring. She's got 2 very active bird feeders attracting all manner of action— cute little birds, pigeons, ducks from the pond out back, rabbits and the requisite squirrels— but they don't seem to bother the bullfrog either.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have no plans for the day aside from a quick trip to the market to get ingredients for sheet pan nachos for dinner. They're so easy and something both boys will happily which makes things easier for me.

I got some time in the front garden yesterday which was nice. The ground was quite wet, so weeding was easier than usual. I even managed to get rid of most of the wild onion which is a PITA to get out normally. I still want to move somethings before I mulch. I want to tweak the mass daffodil clumps to create a few more islands of color and replant the coneflower and black eyed Susan volunteers that have invaded each other's space. I have 3 peonies I want to move but I'll let them bloom first. I planted 3 bare root Itoh peonies last fall and one seems to be coming up— I am beyond excited about this. After the rains mid-week, I'll try to tackle the back beds. They're a hot mess as I was too busy to get on top of them last year. The year before DS managed to pull out the bareroot lilacs I nursed along the year before. He's on my list for putting his wet grip on the dining room floor where it stained the carpet and the puddled drape. DH thinks I'll be able to get the color out if it's water-based dye but grrrrr.

I need to make sure my mower starts— if it does, I may give the front yard the first cut of the season which seems to happen earlier than when I moved in. My lawn is in less than ideal shape of late— it used to be one of the better lawns. I am now the lone holdout in terms of professional chemical applications so I anticipate mine'll look worse in comparison soon. Gah. I don't like to use a lot of spray, but I think I'll throw some lime down and see it that helps first.

Dad's cousin will be coming to visit mom for a couple days starting Wednesday. This generally means taxi-duty as neither drives and they'll want to go to the casino and maybe the pool or dinner. With both in their late 80s, I am all for getting them together when I can. I will say scheduling around their medical appointments is not easy. I've been working on this since late January.

HB

• Lorita

Morning, Love the sun picture, Ron.

Just came in from getting GL in the West paddock and feeding her. Had the need to see the new baby so walked around the back o f the barn and didn't see her do closed the gate so the girls would be closer to the feed when he comes. Got in the Gator and drove out to.find the mom and baby. Found them and another calf. Mom was rubbing her head in the dirt and baby was watching along with a little friend. So, all is well with them.

Girls are scattered everywhere grazing and waiting for Toad.

Judith, I found caladium bulbs on WM.com so ordered them. They should be here today. I.have bought them at WM before and they were good. Ground is still too cold for them so will wait and they'll probably be sprouted by the time I plant them.

Talked with Darwin last evening and e said he felt good. Had been out cutting wood yesterday. I worry about that because no one would know where he might be. He plans.on doing it again today. Said he'd call me when he goes and whem he comes home. Mike says he shouldn't be doing things that makes his blood flow faster but what can you fo? Time for muice.

Watching weather. Looks pretty good for viewing the eclipse this afternoon.

• jfkoc

Here…

Ready with my solar glasses. We will get about 95% in Oklahoma City. They said that 95% of available rooms in Dallas were sold out and now they expect coulds. Idabel's rooms were going for $750 a night with a 4 night minimum. There are only 2 lane roads going in and out of Idabel so what a mess that is going to be.

Southwest has a solar flight that flies the path. Now that would be interesting.

Pop Tarts? Hmmm. Can't remember buying them but must have when my children were little.

Pumpkin? Nope. Cinnimon? Rarely. Chocolate? Always, anyway!!!

How are the plans coming along for the NYC trip? Going to see?????

• Mint

Want to warn my friends about something that was new to me. I got a text that was a scam. It started out saying that it would be helpful if I filled out three forms for my upcoming appointment that’s all I could see and I didn’t open it. As far as I know, I have no appointments and it didn’t show up as a contact. So I put the number in Google that showed it to be a place in a southern state. I feel like that’s one that might get some people especially if they have trouble keeping up with their appointments and don’t realize this isn’t in my contacts.

My flowerbeds are muddy too. I’ve been working in between the showers too. I have to take my time and space it out . They’re giving more rain I think starting Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I’ve only got one bed left and they will then all have had their first round of weeding and I’m hoping to get that done after lunch. We’ll see. Then when I go to moms, I’m gonna start trying to work a half an hour in the evening if weather permits. My sister and I are going to try to keep at least the bed in front of the house, so it doesn’t look terrible. Last year after what happened to me I wasn’t able to do anything and it’s really really bad. But my sister told me Sara will just do what we can do and if we’re still living and she goes then we’ll just hire somebody to come in and take care of it or either I’ll just sell it for less. Then when I get my beds done, I want to get my bags ready to be planted. This will allow me to get my compost bins, emptied, and all my compost ingredients that I have frozen in my freezer out of my freezer. As soon as I get enough space in my freezer, I start freezing compost stuff so that I have a Headstart because it takes me a while to build it up as a single person.

I went to moms the normal route this morning and there was no increased traffic, but there was a big sign saying they will be later. Who knows my sister says she thinks it’s wishful thinking on their part. But I am going to try to go to moms this evening and do a little work and I’m going to take the back roads. There are several prisons close to where my mom lives and one of them is an old one that they closed and built new ones. Shawshank Redemption was filmed at the old one and it has been made into a historical site for its architectural value. So I noticed there was a whole bunch of food trucks there when I was coming home, so I definitely won’t be taking that route home.

Yes chopping wood will increase Darwins blood pressure, which is not a good thing when you have an aneurysm. Darwin has chopping wood in his blood. If he dies chopping wood, there could be a lot worse ways. But he definitely needs to let somebody know what he’s out doing and call them before and after, they should have a set time because Donna’s gonna be in a pickle if he don’t make it back to the house and she probably would not know what to do.

Judith, I’m thinking about ordering a pair of the Clio sandals. I know you said you really like them. I have never ordered a pair of sandals before with that strap between my two toes as I felt it might bother me. I’m assuming you’ve had no problem with that, you probably know this they’re on sale this week at ortho feet.

OK I’ve gabbed enough and must get back to work

• Lorita

Guess what I had for breakfast-- strawberry toaster strudel! Really good.

Darwin went out to cut wood this morning, one and a quarter mile north of his house. Just called and he was headed home. His saw battery was about out of power and someone was coming to put in a new window. It's bright and sunny right now - 98% totality here. I will watch on TV and wait for the next one- only 20 years!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more