Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (194)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you Iris, i did answer her

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

What is 00 flour?

• Lorita

.Interesting, thanks HB. I had a shock last night. I was looking st past obituaries to see if a man I knew had passed away and ran across the one of my cousin's wife. He passed away a little over a year ago. She passed away this past Sunday after an illness. I had talked with her not long ago so was shocked to say the least. I called a cousin (one of two I still have) at 10:30 and she gave me the details. Apologized for forgetting to call me which is understandable in their situation. Services are today so too late for flowers. The family is smaller than ever now. They were in the process if transferring her to a Tulsa hospital but she passed away before they could leave the town where she was hospitalized. I'll be back later.

• Mint

Lorita Im very sorry about the loss of your cousin.

Sunny day here. Got a little work done outside this morning. Hope i can do a little more this afternoon.

Lorita when I was younger older people would talk to me about all the people they were losing in their family. Now I am starting to experience that, my aunt just passed on February 25 now I have a cousin he’s 81 just passed from a stroke so my family is not near as small as yours yet but I’m gradually losing more and more people.

Hi JoC, Joan and Ron.

• Lorita

Minf, thank you it was just such a shock. Sorry about your uncle. II haven't had an uncle for many, many years or an aunt. Now down to two cousins. When we're young we don't think about these things. We were invincible, we thought.

I have to get my things in order - the will, advance directive, etc. The farm i s another matter. Don't know if I can sell it. I'll feel like I'm just letting go of what my parents worked so hard for and loved so much, but, I know I need to. You never know will happen tomorrow so need to be ready.

I was able to get a plant ordered for Jeri- too late for a floral arrangement and they were short handed to get.one made.

Toad came and fed and left more feed for Gray Lady. Took some letters down to mail and closed the entry gate. Took Stormy with me. It's harder for him to get in this SUV than it was the car but he makes it.

Mint, don't work too hard in your yard. It'll be there tomorrow. Supposed to be stormy the next two or three days. Love spring but hate the bad weather that comes with it.

Last night saw the obit for a man we worked with. I didn't know him too well but when Carol worked late he would walk her to her car. Need to see if it really was him. She still takes the paper so probably saw it. I'll be back later.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Selling the farm...I think it begs the question "what will happen to it when I die. Will it go to someone who will sell it to just anyone for the money?????"

It would seem to me that you parents would like for you to try to keep the land in tact with someone for as long as possible.

• Lorita

Just tried to take a nap maybe 30 minutes or so. Judith, I will eventually sell it to Mike with a life estate. Not quite ready yet. It's a big step. I was born and raised here. Lived here for 79 or more years. It's sad the way things have changed out here. When I was growing up there were several families. Most with kids. When kids grew up and left, the parents either moved to town and regretted it or passed away and were forgotten. There was the Shaw place, Bunch place, etc.and now no one remembers them except me. Now I'm only one who has been here this long. When I sell or pass away no one will remember who lived here all those years. My.parents moved here 88 years ago. I had hoped the farm could stay in the family but not so.

So many memories here.but guess it's the same with everyone. I can see the pretty fields of cotton or corn growing and daddy on his Allis Chalmers cultivating them. Guess I'm not the only one- a friend whom we lost shortly after Charles, came and bought back the tractor daddy had bought from his daddy so not the only sentimental one. Sorry for going on like this just in an odd mood.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Has anyone heard from Jo C.? I did a search and find it is about a month since she posted anywhere on the site.

Am concerned for her, and her son.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My parents built the house where we grew up. I was stricken when it was bought and torn down. Then I had a change of heart. I came to believe that it was ours and no one else had the right to live there.

• Lorita

I understand that, Judith. I'm wondering how I'll handle it when Mike bulldozes the house and barn just across the road on the land he bought. It's been there longer than I've been here. Carol was born there. Nothing stays the same forever.

• Lorita

Would someone from the organization check on her if requested? Judith, maybe it's time to do your thing!

Ron, made some cornbread so I'm going to have some cornbread and milk in a little while. Wish you were here to have some with me.

I took down the flag because of the wind. Filling a water tank and it's time to turn off the water. Rest well tonight.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Brother and SIL just left, only stayed a couple of days, but was nice to have the company even for two days.

Gastrology nurse called yesterday and now they want to change my reflux medicine and also do another endoscopy. Said something about using a smaller scope and I really don't understand what difference that makes. This will be the third endoscopy in less than a year. I called oral surgeon since I am scheduled for inplant surgery the 27th and 28th. I was told it should be OK to have the scope 2 or 3 weeks after surgery to give stitches time to desolve and gums heal.

Lorita, I'm waiting on the front porch, how about bringing me out a glass of cornbread and milk.

Ron

• Lorita

On my way, Ron. Watch out for severe weather this afternoons n and night. Talking about large hail and possible tornados. Got the car and PU windshields covered if it doesn't blow off. Really dread this kind of weather.

• Lorita

Weatherman says we could have isolated tennis ball sized ball this afternoon. There,'s a line of heavy storms west of us now. Put the frost guards on and cardboard under the one on the car. Probably will blow off but that's all I can do. Where see is everyone?

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Getting ready for stormy weather tonight and tomorrow. Went to physical therapy, to visit my FIL, grocery store next and then home again. Stay safe everyone!

• Lorita

Bad weather just west and Northwest of us with some north. One of the storm chasers windshield is broken in several places. Looks like it may nd just a but West of us maybe 15-20 miles. Really loud thunder which scares Sheena. large nail going north east just west of us. Girls haven't come up yet. Getting really glad you're back at home JeriLynn. Stay safe.

• Lorita

Baseball sized hail NE of us. We're right on the north edge of a warning so maybe the rotating area will be a bit south of us. The town where I go us in the crosshsirs.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lorita, praying the worst of it stays away from you!

Ron

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita hope it stays away from you

• Lorita

Thanks, Ron and David. I think the worst is East of us but we're still getting some rain and thunder. We had some strong wind and little hail. The tornado warning was dropped to severe t storm about the time it got here. There was a tornado warning issued about ten mikes eastof us. I here was softball sized hail and tornado warning near Bentonville, Arkansas. Lots of reports of 60-70 mph winds.

Our weather has been on since noon with five or six meteoroligists and that many storm chasers.. One of their names is Sequoyah and he was in Sequoyah County.Too early for this kind of weather but we take what we get. Cellar weather today but I'm not going in. I spent a lot of time in there when I was growing up. Can you imagine getting three cats and two Pyrenees out of the house and into the cellar? Bad enough getting them in the bathroom but I have a couple of times. It's in the center of the house so safest place. Really got dark so security lights came on. Hope it's over for the night.

• Lorita
    Girls did get to the barn - they're coming out niw. My parents told me to always watch them during bad weather and you could tell what was going to happen. Mike has lost several cows in the pastthat were struck by lightning.
  • Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Stay safe Lorita! That's so sad about Mike losing several cows in the past. Where are they now during the storm?

• Mint

Good evening we’ve had thunderstorms and lightning a lot today. As of right now we’ve had about 1.1 inches which I’m thankful for. They are giving more storms tonight especially between 6P to 11 P. They have some warnings going with those we haven’t had any warnings so far today. The sun is shining between the storms. We had a beautiful sunrise this morning while it was thundering, but not raining yet.

I’m eating a bowl of cornbread and milk right now. Mom was eating it when I was over there this evening between her and you guys made me hungry for it. Hope to throw a roast in the crockpot here pretty soon to cook all night.

My nephew tried my yogurt that I made yesterday. He told me that is the best yogurt I’ve ever eaten. Today he mentioned it to one of my sisters, so he did really like it. It’s very easy to make so will offer to make some for him to take home, but more than likely he won’t accept it, but maybe he will fool me.

I see the forsythias are starting to bloom here. So now I wish I would’ve put my crabgrass preventer on yesterday. I thought about it but it’s just a little bit early. So anyways, the next sunshiny day that I’m able I’ll try to get it down.

Good evening JoC.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

We got the rain barrels up yesterday, and today had approx. 1/2" of rain. The barrels, all 4 of them, are about 1/2 full (each holds 55 gallons total - so about 100 gallons of water saved!) I'll use it for garden watering when needed. Got groceries today and stopped for Shamrock Shakes. Making stir fry for supper tonight.

Lorita, glad you and your animals and property are ok. Is your barn large enough for all of the cows to get in?

Mint, did you eat your yogurt with any flavoring such as fruit?

I'm going to make cinnamon rolls tomorrow. Homemade. New recipe, hope it works out.

Hello Jo - miss you.

Beth

• Mint

I have used my sister’s homemade raspberry jam. Also have used just maple syrup or honey in it. Fresh fruit would work too. Saw one lady say she used pineapple and coconut. Would like to try that sometime.

• David1946

The rasberry jam sounds good it sounds that it would go good with my wife's apple bread.

• Lorita

Hi, storms are over for a while.but they just issued a severe T storm warning until MN.

Beth, the barn is plenty big for everyone and they take advantage of it, winter and summer. The used to be heifers are in West pastures so don't have access to it. Our girls have gone to the barn since they were born so are used try to it. Mike's cows were out in the middle of pastures so it just struck them. It is sad. Beth, what is the difference between month-old and daffodils? Carol and I were trying to figure it out. Let us know about the cinnamon rolls. I'd like to try making them.We used to have a rain barrel when we lived in the MH - to water plants. Also good for shampooing.

Hopefully all of us can rest tonight. News just said nine states have tornado warnings for tonight.

• Mint
    edited March 14

David think it would be good on your wife’s apple bread. Don’t think i have ever had apple bread.

• David1946

All you do to make apple bread Is substitute apples for bananas.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more