Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (196)

1151617181921»

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,309
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Mornng, sunny and not much wind. Today's a transition day from mild to hot and humid. Thought I would try to open north barn doors. I got the inside of the doors unwired, then the outside.. Got one stake out and got one board out. For the life of me could not get the other one out. Bryon closed the doors ,put a stake against each door with long boards inside the stakes to keep the doors in place. Decided I had better quit- was getting hot and my side began to hurt. Irritates me that I can't do the things I used to do. I've closed and opened those doors many times. Guess I'll call Bryon to open them when be can. Enough of my complaining.

JetiLynn, sorry about your cold or allergies.Feel better soon.

David, ,sounds like your day's off to a good start.

MInt,hope your day goes well.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

David…I will be over to sit on your screened porch on my way to my rocker at Lorita's.

Iris…you and I are on the same page. Aunt Sally's is where we always got our pralines.

Edward's Bayou…that looks interesting.

Forest cleansing. I sit next to a large window with lots of animals coming and going. Does that count?

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited June 12

Forest bathing means you are surrounded by NATURE. I don't think a porch or behind a window count as being surrounded by nature. You want to take in nature via all of your senses. Being out in a garden does count. Not working, but taking in the plants,the soil and the air, and anything else. JeriLynn is forest-bathing!

I just came home from the sleep lab. I awoke about 5:20 am, there was enough sleep data to make conclusions. The report will be ready in about two weeks. I was to know why my sleep is so fragmented. I know older adults sleep poorly. Why?

I am still having pain in my low back and thighs. I have no appointments for at least a week. Perhaps I can rest more.

HB, I posted you a note.

Iris

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good afternoon my porch friends. On Monday I had my second leg procedure, this time the right leg. This one was a "bugger" according to the surgeon. And by how it felt then, and now, I'd agree! Much sorer and stiffer than the left leg. I even have significant swelling this time. I was pretty / am pretty miserable. I am following the protocols and it will get better.

Yesterday was DH and I's 47th anniversary. He wanted to look through the wedding book and talk about everything - so that's what we did. We were so young, just babies, only 19 years old. It was between our sophomore and junior year of college. We promised our parents we'd finish college in two years and they would be no babies! We didn't have 7 cents but we made it!! And we grew in that time frame also.

I'm going to go back and read through before my 'sitting up' time is over!! More later

eagle

• Lorita

Eagle, hope your leg continues to improve. Glad you have that over with.

I jutt discovered sonething! Remember I mentioned last year's drought killed all three of our Royal Empress trees ? I just went out and opened the gate for GL and passed the one out by the corral. There are two or three coming up from the base of that tree. A couple of weeks ago I saw some leaves growing out from the trunk and a limb of the one just outside the yard. Something ate those but now I see a couple of little leaves coming out from the trunk about 15 ft. High. Still nothing from the one in the yard,but the plants with huge leaves that have come up in the yard are Royal Empress trees that have come up from seeds!

The one growing under the holly was really pretty but something is cutting off the leaves and eating them-- Rusty? So there are now three in the north yard. By fall they will be too big to transplant because they grow very fast. One is already too big, the other two are stairsteps. I might transplant the smallest one into a bucket until fall. I did that with the big maple in the front yard and it worked well. Wonder how I can keep whatever it is from cutting off the leaves of the one under the holly? Any ideas? I have never seen any come up from seeds before, only from roots. All this time I have thought they were sunflowers!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited June 12

Dearest Eagle, Very Happy Anniversary wishes to you and your dear Husband.

I have not been online here very often - in fact very little of late due to some issues - and I have missed the surgeries and reason for them. First, I wish you a quick and easy healing and am sorry you had to endure such events.

May I ask what procedures were actually done and the reason(s) for doing them . . . seems that you have had more than you expected and I so wish you did not have the pain and discomfort you have had to experience.

So hope you feel far less pain and discomfort soon - I will be thinking of you and sending a soft hug your way.

Jo C.

• Lorita

Hi Jo, hope you are feeling better today. Good to see you posting again.

I just heard on the world news that a white buffalo calf was born in Yellowstone Park on. June 4, I believe. How wonderful is that! That little guy will be famous. Very spiritual in many Indian Tribes.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

After breakfast on the porch we went to the senior center for lunch and played bingo and also had s course on how to make a smoothie and got to sample some. Tomorrow we will go there for a Father's Day celebration of hot dogs and hamburgers

• David1946

• David1946

• Lorita

Davix how did they say to make smoothies and which ingredients are best to use?

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Trying to go through everything is harder than I thought. Lou did not throw away anything and when I find items like this, the tears start again.

Ron

• David1946

They use yogurt any type of frozen fruit, milk

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning everyone

eagle hope things get a little bit less stuff today.

lorita hope your royal empress trees aren’t like my Locust trees. Them things come up everywhere if you didn’t mow the yard for a year, you would be in a locust forest. I have to pull them up out of my flowerbeds. They’re all over the yard. They’re all in the woods behind my house too. I try to keep about foot and a half or so cleared behind the fence. I just got to noticing there was a small tree right past where I clear it so I thought I got to get rid of that. So I went out yesterday evening and cut off every limb of the tree and just left the trunk. The birds will enjoy that.

Ron know it’s hard to clean all that stuff out emotionally, tears are OK. Nice to hear from you.

David that’s the type of smoothies I make

take care everyone, Joan Hope you’re doing OK.

• Lorita

Morning. Mint, there are four of them in the north yard. I want to transplant one where the magnolia was and will leave one near the elm that may have to come out. Do hate to lose that o!d tree but it does not look healthy and every storm I'm afraid it will fall on the house.Not a good time to transplant but they will be too big this fall.They grow very fast.. I love them because of the.huge leaves and beautiful, fragrant flowers

This morning when I was out with GL I tried to think of some p!ace to put them. There are so many trees around the house and North and West so it's hard to find a place. Need to transplant some violets out of the big planters and plant the. Butterfly plants in them. Only have three or four caladiums up..

I put a.box around the one under the ho!ly but It looks like another leaf is gone. They cut off the leaf at the stem and take it away to eat. The leaves are as big as dinner plates already. I killed the poison ivy on the south of the Elm but I think it is growing on the north side now. I can't lift the sprayer yet so it will have to grow a while.

My side at the waist hurts this morning so guess I slept wrong. Had a call from Mike to see what the doctor said and to see if I had the barn doors open. He had planned tone by to open them but hasn't had a chance. Dstein called. Said he slept pretty well but is going to work In His barn and garden today. It's going to.be hot today - in mid 90s next few days with heat indices 100 and over

Thanks, David for the smoothie information. Do you and MInt vary the proportions? I can make ice cream in my Ninja with milk and frozen fruit but with smoothies probably more milk. Back.later.

• jfkoc
    edited June 13

You can make vegetable "smoothies" too. It is a good way to get in some Kale.

Just back from the market. Cherries were dirt cheap. I remember not long ago when I would not buy them…way too expensive.

Going to make brownies for my daughters mother-in-law. I use a mix, always, but use strong coffee instead of water.

Got sliced beets to marinate and frozen artichoke hearts to do the same. One head of beautiful butter lettuce. Newman's marinara…they are usually out…only one jar on the shelf. They did have lots of Rao's. I like to do Newmans because all profits go to charity ad by the time I add some stuff it is just a s good. I forgot to get a chunk of Parmesean. Oh,well.

It is a really good market and everybody visits with everybody.

Lorita…you and I both need to strengthen our core muscles. Maybe I could do some exercises while watching Netflix…lol

• Lorita

I agree, Judit!h. I looked up a couple of sets of core exercises on you tube. They' Don't look Hard but... you do all of them on the floor. This could present a problem in getting up off the floor. I can't do them now because of my side but will try later. I watched one with a man wearing a black tee and gray shorts. For now I'll watch QVC and Wagon Train while you watch Netflix.

I did laundry this morning, then dried and put away. While I was at it took winter things out of dresser drawers and into labeled boxes and put in summer gowns, etc. Boxes were heavy and I put them on top of storage boxes. They were heavy so that was my exercises for the day.. Nap later.

Wonder why cherries were cheaper today?

• jfkoc
  • David1946

Went Today and had an excellent Father's Day lunch at the senior center all put on by the Friends of the Seniors.

• Lorita

I started #197 so we should no longer post on 196. You should find 197 close to the top of the list.

• David1946

My wife says anytime you want as long as we are home

• David1946

LOrita, I may be crazy due to my dementia but I don’t know how go to 197 and what do you mean find 197 at the top of the list?So sorry that I am confused.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more