Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (197)

Lorita
Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

It's been a hot, humid day in Oklahoma. We reached about 97 with heat index of 100 with more hot days to fo!low. Summer in Oklahoma is not always pleasant because of the humifity. I know the temperatures were higher when I was growing up but humidity was lower. They built Lake Eufaula which raised it and now this area is mostly cattle country so there are more ponds which adds to the humidity. At least we have good moisture from all the rains.

About ready for bed- been a long day but did get some things accomp!ished. Hope everyone is well or recovering and can have a good nights rest.. See you tomorrow.

Comments

• Lorita

Forgot if I posted on 196 to not post there, it would bring it to the top!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I like Judith's seated core exercises.

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning everyone

Your hot weather is headed our way Lorita. Hope you’re feeling OK this morning.

I got the mulching done around mom’s house. There’s a retaining wall in the backyard. I always had a flower bed along there. But of course she’s unable to do that and it was a hot mess. The mowers didn’t trim thereI think they were afraid to because they could tell that there were plants in there. So I took the loppers and I cut everything down but the peony and butterfly bushes. I am hoping the mowers will take my lead and keep it weed eated now, but if not, I’ll keep lopping it. Then there is the garden. It’s full of Canadian thistle because she wouldn’t let me compost it. So I worked probably about 40 minutes or so in there and got a lot of the Canadian thistle lopped down. It’s probably about 5 feet tall. She has a big garden so there’s plenty more left to do the Canadian thistle are mainly on one end. I looked into Canadian thistle and it’s best just to keep it cut down because eventually that we can see the root system rather than trying to dig it up which is sort of impossible, and can make it become worse. I’ve already kinda noticed this around the house. There were several thistles in the front and I mulched it . As they come through I just keep taking them out and it’s noticeably getting less. Read if you put down two layers of cardboard and then a layer of mulch on top that it will significantly speed up the process of getting rid of them. It would take a lot of cardboard and a lot of mulch. Don’t know if I can get that accomplished or not, but maybe I can at least keep them cut down., we’ll see. if I can get it cut down, then maybe next spring the mowers getting weed eat it I would even pay a little more if they would be willing to do that.

It’s Friday, so good Lord’s we will be going to the Amish market. Then afterwards we’re going to this little place I guess you call it an ice cream stand that I found out about close to there. They have 56 varieties of ice cream and they have hamburgers, barbecues, etc.. The neat thing is they raise their own meat and they have eggs for sale. The owners have a small farm. So hopefully my sister can eat a sandwich there too and she loves ice cream and she can eat certain ice cream‘s. That will be a nice change. They also sell beef to the general public. When I get beef next, I might try them and see what I think. I see the same person processes for them. That process is for the person I’ve been buying it from.

Hopefully they’ll still have strawberries today. It will probably be the last time if they do have them today. I made up a pie crust and have it baked I guess if they don’t I’ll have to find something else to put in it. The pie I made last week was really good. The last time I looked at the blueberries at moms it look like we are going to have a really nice crop. Normally they don’t get ripe till I am thinking like the middle of July. But this year a lot of things are about two weeks ahead, so I’m gonna have to start keeping an ion them about 1 July. I really enjoy picking them.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 794
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Well, good morning Rockers!

The RV is unloaded, laundry done and house restored. Today will be grass cutting day. Judith, I bought cherries yesterday! (Now to find the cherry pitter) and butter lettuce.… brilliant minds I guess.

While in Mississippi I visited the cutest little Olive Oil shop and got (oh my goodness) BUTTER infused olive oil and a Ume Boschi Plum white Vinaigrette… it is divine. I've even put the vinaigrette on fresh catelope… it is so good. Also got a ginger/black garlic infused oil and one infused with herbs de provence…. got the miniature sized bottles. I will be ordering more. I don't think we have an oil store here. DH is so very tolerant of my shopping (for a short while). He sorta thinks I'm a little (quote) "ritzy, ditzy, do dah" when it comes to that kind of thing. But I like variety. And new, interesting things. I bet the ginger/black garlic will be good on salmon.

We're about to start yet another new project with the house. We have several types of grills/smokers, etc. So we are ordering an awning for one side of the patio and will line that side wall with all that cooking equipment and the awning to provide additional cover when needed. I'm trying to decide if I want a solid color or a print. An outdoor kitchen of sorts. Also, beginning the process to get power to the barn. We have water at the road, but also need to trench a line to the barn. Always lots to do.

I've moved another 4-foot table into my office. There is so much PAPER in dealing with FIL's estate. So I'm organizing piles. I have to be able to turn and reach something, not dig thru stacks. So hopefully this will help settle my mind and deal with this mess. But, I'm leaving that task to start anew on Monday. I've decided all these little somatic issues (like having an allergy attack on vacation) is stress related. I need a little order restored. And that little getaway helped to calm my racing mind and jangled nerves.

Jo C. it's good to see you again. Eagle, hope you continue to improve. Mint, how did the house cleaning go? Lorita, healing rest is good for you. I know it's hard not to be able to do what you want, but rest will help that improve I think. David, your senior center sounds like a good place. Ron, thinking of you. Beth, my flower beds all need attention. Haven't started the backyard project yet.. maybe will wait till fall. It's 92 degrees and humidity is crazy awful this week. But the pool feels good. Zetta, how is the house showing progressing? I've missed some folks but will stop for now. Be well everyone.

• Lorita

Morning it is already pretty hot and sticky. Heat index today will be 105. GPs go out for a few minutes then want back inside. With all their thick hair they cannot stand the heat.

Soun d's like everyone is doing okay this morning.

Mint, we used to have a patch of thistles near the MH.I would cut a few and put them in a vase on the porch.They were purple and so pretty but with spraying,they ate pretty much gone.

Darwin just called —he's going to go up and finish a little job. He worked at home yesterday, outside, and almost got too hot. Our heat slips up on you.

Thanks, Mint, I feel pretty good this morning. I so need to move a couple of those little trees but just not the time and is too hot. Wish I had realized what they are when it was cooler .

Iris, what seated exercises?

Need to go to the mailbox to get the mail and leave something in the box. Back later.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning.

Lorita— The heat is on here as well, but nowhere near as extreme as what you're dealing with. I hope you're feeling better.

Iris— It's amazing how many kinds of exercise can be modified for seated. When I'm feeling especially lazy, I sometimes do chair Pilates or Yoga. The sorts of standing work that addresses core strength often requires leg lifts and can be a lance challenge so maybe not ideal for all.

David— Will you be heading to NH this weekend? I recall you mentioning that. Is it to visit family or for shopping? Many of my Northshore relatives head to NH to shop at least monthly. And I won't lie, I do enjoy their highway-side liquor store selection and prices.

Mint— That sounds like quite a garden rehab project at mom's. I did the cardboard trick on a bed behind my garage. I did a few layers of newsprint under corrugated cardboard which I duct-taped together. I used tent stake to secure it in place as well as a few rocks. Since it was in the backyard and out of my sightline, I didn't bother with the mulch as I would have otherwise. I left it from fall until late the following spring; I feel an entire year might have been better.

Is your sister lactose-intolerant? DH is. There's a roadside stand he and DS like that has burgers and soft serve. DH can eat it without Lactaid pills or repercussions. I suspect this stuff is a non-dairy frozen dessert. It's pretty awful but they love it. DH also swears that higher fat dairy has less lactose than lower fat. He's been using light cream instead of Lactaid milk on his cereal safely the last month or so. I wonder if that's what's going on here.

Jerilynn— I guess you didn't get any lingerie shopping in. Bummer. But the olive oil shop sounds fun. We have one in my town— oils and vinegars from all manner of places, some plain and some infused. It's a great place to pick up a hostess gift or stocking stuffer for my foodie friends.

I'm taking it easy today. I feel like I've been running around all week. Monday endodontist, Tuesday mom's PCP, Wednesday mom's pulmo and yesterday was a Costco, farm store, wine store, beer store (PA so different places) and Ulta run.

I'm catching up on laundry and the stopping by mom's to check on her phone. Somehow, she managed to slip her phone in airplane mode and her internet went out so her VOIP phone wasn't working. I found some random contractor to repair her driveway. He was great— personable, prompt and she said he did a great job. He gave me an estimate on repaving mine, but I want to see hers with my own eyes before pulling the trigger. Our anniversary is tomorrow and DH is now joking that this is our "Asphalt Anniversary".

I need to pick up a present for my BFF's birthday next week. Her birthday is also her wedding anniversary and the first without her DH. Her DD has plans with her for the day-of, but I need to plan something for the 2 of us that week, too. Her surgery is the week after.

Take care.
    HB

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
  • Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Bumping to the top.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Mint, Vinegar should kill the Canadian thistles. I found this online: "ARS researchers Jay Radhakrishnan, John R. Teasdale and Ben Coffman in Beltsville, Md., tested vinegar on major weeds--common lamb’s-quarters, giant foxtail, velvetleaf, smooth pigweed and Canada thistle--in greenhouse and field studies.

They hand-sprayed the weeds with various solutions of vinegar, uniformly coating the leaves. The researchers found that 5- and 10-percent concentrations killed the weeds during their first two weeks of life. Older plants required higher concentrations of vinegar to kill them. At the higher concentrations, vinegar had an 85- to 100-percent kill rate at all growth stages. A bottle of household vinegar is about a 5-percent concentration.

Canada thistle, one of the most tenacious weeds in the world, proved the most susceptible; the 5-percent concentration had a 100-percent kill rate of the perennial’s top growth. The 20-percent concentration can do this in about 2 hours." This info is from the USDA.

BBL

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi all am spending reading with my wife on our screened in porch sitting on our rocking chairs after it stopped raining

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

We had a fun trip yesterday. Took a bus to Moline, IL, and got on the Celebration Belle paddle wheel river boat. We cruised the Mississippi for 4 hours. Enjoyed it and the day was beautiful.

• David1946

Iris I do not know how I did it but I am on 197. Can I still use 196?

• JeriLynn66
  • David1946

Thank You. I am not very computer savvy, so I apologize for all my questions.

• Mint

was a hot day here too. The temperature is not that high. It’s high 70s but it is so muggy and sticky. It’s terrible but anyways I did what I had to do outside with not too much trouble. I try just to take my time.

HB sister is not lactose intolerant but I am. She has migraine headaches and many of them are related to certain food, certain preservatives, etc. She can usually eat vanilla and strawberry and get away with it. I drink lactose, free milk always. I usually get lactose free ice cream. But I can’t eat regular ice cream as long as I take enough lactase. I’m sure your friend will appreciate you meeting up with her.

thank you Beth. I’d have to spray a lot of vinegar so it would take a lot of cardboard and mulch too. Just going to cut them all down if I have the strength and go from there. It seems a little overwhelming so we’ll see what happens if I just keep putting 1 foot in front of the other foot. Glad you and hubby had a nice day.

One Amish market had 3 quarts of strawberries when I got there. they’re actually the prettiest ones I’ve gotten to me. They’re smaller and very pretty shaped and I prefer that. So I bought one court for my pie shell. My sister bought a cork so that left them with one court and they’re done. I’m sitting here cutting them up and hope to get my pie made. then I bought a peck of peas, so after I get this done I hope I can shell all those peas. We’ll see I’m going to freeze them. Will probably save a few to cook fresh.

Hope each one gets a good nights rest

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, Judith posted about seated core exercises on the prior Friend's thread.

Iris

• David1946

Hi everyone, hope everyone had good day spent the morning having breakfast on our deck then the rain came it really poured for a short time then we went back on the porch sat on our rocking chairs reading our books and talking.

• JeriLynn66

You're welcome! I'm not too savvy either🤔🤗

• Lorita

Evening, it's been a hot one with not much wind. I stayed in most of the day except when I went to the mailbox early and also this afternoon when I opened Chewy boxes on the porch and brought in cat and dog food.

Got my income tax papers from Sam. As usual will have to pay Federal and will get back a little from the State.

Joan, how are you adapting to your new house and location? Do hope your back is doing better. Sam, my CPA, just had back surgery this week. He's probably in his 60s.

Barbara, how is your weather. I know you are going into wintertime. Does it get very cold there and do you ever have snow? Hope you're doing well. Any more books in your future?

I'm watching the NBA finals -Dallas and Boston. I don't like the Mavericks ( sorry Eagle) but hope they win so there will be more games. Looks like they will.

Sleep well, everyone. See you all tomorrow..

• littleme
    littleme Member Posts: 70
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hello cobbers. Thanks for thinking of me, Lorita. I had COVID 10 days ago, and had 3 rounds of the antivirals. Thankfully, I was not very ill, but it has left me very very tired. My doctor suggests it could be 6 weeks before I get my energy back again. I sleep well, more than 8 hours every night, and usually have a nap during the day as well. Today I napped for almost 2 hours! I don't think I have ever felt like this before, and I hate it.

Apart from that, life goes on. Yes winter is here, sometimes we have a frosty morning, but it never snows where I live. As I am close to the beach, that may be part of the reason. But it is chilly enough for me to be glad of the airconditioner, especially when I am not feeling the best.

Yes, another new children's book just published. No dogs this time. Another doggie one in the works. But it won't be finished while I feel this way!

2 things you will understand, Lorita. The COVID has stirred up general aches and pains, especially costochondritis. I wake up every morning with sore ribs. And when I had a sore foot a few weeks ago, the physio thought it might be Morton's neuroma. But my oldfashioned doctor, had a look, and told me I had lost the fat in the ball of my foot. So now I use padding under there, and no more pain! Wish I could lose fat in more obvious places.

With best wishes to you all, Barbara

• Mint

Good morning everyone

• David1946
    edited June 15

Good morning everyone, another nice day to have breakfast on our screened in porch. Watching our neighbors have a new roof put on. Now going to buy flowers for the cemetery and the yard.put flowers on my wife's grave,my wife's parents grave. Now home for lunch on the deck.

• Lorita

Mornin, already hot and humid. You can actually see the moisture in the air - haze. In Oklahoma our summers are hot, humid and hazy.

Barbara, so sorry about the covid. Just take it easy until your energy returns. I'm in the same boat but from diverticulitis and doing nothing for almost a month. I don't seem to have energy for anything especially in the mornings but feel some better late in the day.

I'm glad it wasn't Morton's Neuroma. I have that in both feet. Makes my toes, especially, feel weird and sometimes I can't tell if my feet or hot or cold. No fun. My balance also seems to be off. I'll look for your new book. Keep them coming.

Darwin just came over with a sack of squash and a big timato. He has a garden but these are from his daughter who is a big gardener. I gave him some crumb cakes - both he and his wife like them. He was going to cut some more wood but decided to go home and stay in today. He almost got too hot a couple of days ago.

I have a broken sack of cat food (40 lbs.) In the PU that I need to bring in but maybe later. Haven't heard from Bryon. I'm afraid this grandpa has passed away. Makes me so aggravated that I can't open those barn doors,- just another sign of aging. If I could get that last stake out I might be able to... But, here I sit.. My side feels okay this morning and that is one good thing. Hope all of you are doing all right. Back later.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning all. It's a beautiful hot sunny day here already. Temp is to be in the mid 90's and heat index 105+. Sure sign that summer is upon us.

Legs are coming along, but still uncomfortable. In trying to make the best of it I've started timing myself in getting on the compression hose. I looked it up at they are "medical grade #50." It's no wonder I'm half exhausted after getting them on both legs. My best time, thus far, was yesterday at 24 minutes. They are very difficult to get on and add that I have bad knees plus legs that just had procedures on them, I don't think that time is too bad. Both legs feel better when wearing them, they are warm though.

I'm glad everyone seems to be on the mend. Let's take to weekend to recuperate and be ready to tackle the world on Monday.

eagle

• JeriLynn66

" Let's take to weekend to recuperate and be ready to tackle the world on Monday." I'm with you Eagle. 😳

• Lorita

Eagle, how high up do the hose go? I would be worn out, too. After I sprained my ankle last winter I wore a compression sock without toes, on it. It wore me out even getting it on. Don't you just love summertime in the south, Eagle and JeriLynn? I always feel better in the afternoon, guess I need to get back on my vitamins.

.JeriLynn, how are all the babies? I haven't been down to see if we have any new ones. Hope not because it's not good to have little ones born in the summer.

Glad I don't need to cook today. Cooked farfalle yesterday to have with green beans and cottage cheese. I put powdered ranch seasoning and parmesan on the pasta and it's really good. Also got some of the nicest sweet potatoes the other day. I cook them in the microwave, cut them open, sprinkle with a bit of sugar and eat them with butter. I've lost 15 lbs. With the diverticulitis so will go easy on butter and continue to lose, I hope.

Eagle, how about that basketball game last night?

• Mint

nice to hear from you again Barb. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

David sounds like you always stay busy. Good that you can.

made two loaves of no salt bread this morning, few days until I made two batches of buns. So hopefully I won’t have to make any for a while now. I got my peas frozen, and my pie made.

we have a nice breeze here today and not humid so far. Heat starts up tomorrow though.

• David1946

I will try to stay busy as long as possible.For the next 2 we have no scheduled appointments. Now we have time to relax or our porch until it starts all over again

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

David….any books to recommend???

studying Henry ll

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

I have been so busy with home shows. I did get an offer and it was a good one. The only problem is they are hoping I can be out in 30 days. There is no way I can do that.

My son is looking for a place for us to move into. Hés looking for a 2-bedroom apartment. I will stay there for a few weeks till my daughter and her husband make the trip from Arizona to Oregon to get me.

I will fly them here and we will load up a small U-Haul and my SIL will drive the U-Haul and my daughter, I and Molly, Sammy and Emmy will follow in the car.

Things are starting to move too fast for me. The papers have been signed the next thing is for my home to be inspected. If it passes good if not good. The buyers got a VA loan.

I'm TOO!! old for all of this. If all goes as we hope it goes, I will be settled in Arizona sometime in September.

I tried to catch up will all of you but your all so busy I don't know where to start. But you're all in my daily prayers.

JeriLynn, Thank you for asking how my home shows were going. They have been very tiring, to say the least. 😕

Hug to all of you, Zetta

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney