Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (197)

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 795
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning!

Happy Birthday Lorita🍰🍨🎂🎵!!!! This afternoon on the porch we'll have ice cream and cake! I have a nice pound cake and the ice cream maker is already sitting on the patio…. I'll bring some sweet feed and shelled corn for GL and doggie treats for the GPs. We'll have a party! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Yesterday was a doozy. We went up to above Petersburg and bought (5) 10-foot gates for the pasture. That should finish up what we need for the pastures and they were a bargain. Came back home to unload those and then went to Huntland to pull out the boat for the weekend. Which means we had to move not 1 but 7 riding lawn mowers (DH buys/repairs/sells), the sea-doos and 3 ATVs. Then we went to the grocery store in Winchester. And stopped to buy a baby swimming pool to fill with blocks and ice for my chickens to stand in to cool off in this heat. Then we got home and DH went back to bush-hogging the north pasture and got into a hornet's nest. He got stung 4 times on his head and neck! Then he had to put the dogs up because Lilly will not let you walk alone in the pasture. She must accompany you. He went back down to get rid of the hornet nest. He said it was huge and hanging from a tree down there. Luckily he didn't get stung again.

I have 2 Granddaughters and 3 Greatgrands coming tomorrow for a swimming day/lunch. I'm making a huge salad, a fruit salad, got some nice braided cheese bread from the bakery and will make a peach cobbler today. DH also has a follow up Cat Scan tomorrow to make sure the nodules on his lung haven't changed. Saturday is a birthday party for another GreatGrand. I think we are going to the lake Sunday or Monday. So today is clean the house, get the food ready, set the island up for serving and straighten up the patio/pool areas.

I've set a new schedule for myself in dealing with this Estate business. I pick the top 3 things I need to get done. 1 hard thing and 2 easier things. I get those done as soon as the rest of the world is up and functioning. (Not everyone gets up and started at the butt-crack of dawn, unfortunately) Then when I finish those tasks, I'm done with it for the day. Otherwise, I'd be at this computer ALL day, every day. It was making me crazy(er).

Well time to go find breakfast for the chickens. Yesterday I gave them leftover mashed potatoes and other veggies. EVERYONE had mashed potato beaks! It was so funny.

Have a good day. Back later.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Dear Lorita, I add my wishes that you have a very happy birthday! 🧡

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Happy Birthday Lorita! Wishing you a beautiful day and healthy and happy new year! xo

• Regina312
    Regina312 Member Posts: 15
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments

Good Morning. I know this post is from a few days ago. Just hopped on here this morning as it is the start of summer and "The Longest Day Is The Day We Fight" for loved ones suffering from or lost to Alzheimer's. It's a hot, humid day on Long Island today. Thankful for air conditioning in the office. Don't envy anyone out there in the heat. May we all have a pleasant day.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 666
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LORITA and many more

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Mint, I think many of us can get into a habit of second-guessing ourselves. To what point? I know I try to break myself of this habit.

Iris

• Iris L.

Happy, Happy Birthday, Lorita!

Iris

• Regina312
    Regina312 Member Posts: 15
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments

May you have a wonderful birthday filled with many blessings.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, thank you all for the birthday wished.So nice of you all.

JeriLynn, the pound cake and ice cream sounds wonderful. It's been a month of Sundays simce I've had homemade ice cream. The night before I was born there was a lot of company here and they made home made ice cream. Mother was already in labor but she didn't tell anyone because she wanted to have the ice cream. She said if she had told her mother she wouldn't have let her eat it. She said she ate all she could ho!d.I was born st 9:30 the next morning.

I told GL she was going to have sweet feed and cracked corn today. She will love that. Just took some letters down to the mailbox .My BIL has his 94th birthday in a few days so had to get.his card in the mail. Thanks again, everyone.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Happy Birthday Lorita!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• David1946

Hello, waiting for a ride going out with a few retired letter carriers we go out every 3 or 4 months. I no longer drive that's why I am waiting for a ride.

• David1946

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Happy birthday, Lorita! Enjoy your special day!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

welcome to the porch, Regina

David I think it’s very nice how you stay so active but seem to try to do it in safe ways.

virus I’m terrible for second-guessing myself and have been all my life. Thank you for the encouragement to try and do better.

well, I finished the first path through the weeds in the garden. It’s a fairly wide path but it’s took me an hour and a half total. I’m going to take a break though unless my shoulder feels way better tomorrow morning. My sister has her Saturday and I only do it on my days and I don’t do it on Sundays. So I’m hoping at least tomorrow to get some time in but we’ll see cause other things are going on too so we’ll see.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

love the story and bravo to both of you for getting them on…

• Lorita

Tnat is such a sweet story, Eagle. That probably would have worked when putting on panty hose.I struggled with those for years. Good for him!! Thanks, again for the happy birthday wishes, everyone.

I got a little hungry about an hour ago so thought I had two containers pf Chobani yogurt in the refrigerator. Found one I had opened and ate about a quarter cup. It looked and tasted good.- smelled good. Afterwards saw a speck.of mold on the rim - not in the yogurt, Then saw a Feb. Date on it. Guess I had opened it and forgot about it. It has been refrigerated and covered. Now I'm wondering if I will get sick from it. It was vanilla with no fruit in it. I had never seen those dates on the yogurt before. Guess it had been pushed to the back and forgotten. Always something.

• Mint

Dates are on almost everything, but sometimes I struggle to find them.

Eagle I really enjoyed your little story also. We all need to remember that might be helpful to us or to others. It was very nice that it was able to do something to help you, and that really pleased him.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

Eagle, I loved that story. Your DH is so sweet. 😉

Lorita, Happy Happy Birthday, and many more. 🎂 I will enjoy being on the porch with all of you later today. Iam going to make some cupcakes for the party.

I have been having a hard time keeping up with all of you. Looks like my house has sold, and I will be moving to Arizona. The offer was made, and I countered, and they countered, and I countered and the excepted. I have never sold a house before, so this has been a pain in the Butt.

There will be someone coming out to inspect the house on Monday then on Wednesday there will be someone coming out to check the well water. If all goes as they plan it will close on July 17th and I will have to be out by August 2nd. At this point I will be just as happy if it closes or not this wears a person out.

Iris, My daughter also has a Maine Coon, she is so sweet she is still a kitten I hope she gets big, but I guess we will just have to wait and see, her hair is getting long.

Hugs to all, Zetta

• David1946
  • Iris L.

Congratulations on selling your home, Zetta. That's a big load off your shoulders.

Eagle, that's a great tip about the support hose. I'll have to use it for myself. Thank your DH for me!

Iris

• David1946

Had a lovely lunch with my fellow retired Letter Carriers. It was nice to catch up and find out what everyone has been doing. We will do it again in September.

• Lorita

It has been a nice day thanks to all my friends and the weather has been nice. But it's going to get very hot this weekend so guess summer is here in all its glory. The weather forecast for this summer for Oklahoma is for hotter then normal and less rain. Not good.

Stormy and I just went to the mailbox,then took Sheena and Stormy for a short walk.

Sandy, I.got your sweet birthday card, perfect for me with the puppies and kitten. Thanks so much. I am feeling better, just takes time. So enjoyed our nice visit last night, I always do.

See you all tomorrow. Full moon tomorrow night.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 795
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning.

Today is swim/lunch day with several grands/greatgrands. I've already mopped the kitchen this morning. About to put a peach cobbler in the oven. And brownies. DH cut the backyard yesterday, so it looks nice. (the kids don't care) I'm using paper plates and bowls today.

I got in the pool yesterday and managed to get a nice little sunburn. So, I'll be in the shade today.

It's supposed to be hot again today with no rain. Even after all the rain we had in May, it's only taken 2 weeks with 98 degree heat/no rain for the grass to become brown in places. Watering the flower beds and garden every day. Little to no rain expected for the next 10 days. I ordered and planted some of the Supertunia seeds that @BethL showed us and they up about an inch in pots! I'm so excited.

I put the baby swimming pool out for the chickens yesterday. They were not impressed. But, we put 2 flat concrete pads in for them to stand on and today I will put them some ice in there to see if they will get in. I worry about them getting too hot. DH finished mowing the pasture yesterday and Lilly the GP is on the prowl. She started patrolling immediately. Jake is more laid back and lolls around in the shade unless Lilly alerts or another dog comes near the fence.

Remember the GP puppy we found on the side of a busy road? He is doing well in his forever home, guarding goats and chickens and getting bigger. His new owners (both widowed and in their 60's) just got married!!! So happy news all around.

• Mint

good morning everyone

David that’s nice getting to meet up with your old coworkers. I have one guy then I meet up with him and his wife and I really enjoyed that. Will usually do it about every three or four weeks. His mom has been real sick. She has been in the hospital 30 days she supposed to go to a rehab facility in the next day or two if nothing happens. So we’ve not got to meet up but we have been messaging a lot.

Lorita i’m glad you’re feeling better.

mom really needs to start wearing depends. Of course she will not but then she tells me her issues. This morning I told her I know you are having these issues because I clean your house. She won’t do a thing to help you or make things easier for you. That’s just the way it is. I don’t get it but I guess that’s because my Reasoner is not broken, why would you not want to do something that make it easier for you and for others, because your Reasoner is broken. Thank you for listening.

I believe Sunday the temperatures are supposed to get back into our normal 80s.

take care, everyone

• VetEly
    VetEly Member Posts: 78
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hope you had a great Birthday. Try to stay cool with this weather getting so hot. I have now moved back to my home in SC. My youngest son and his 4 kids live with me.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hi Shirley, Good to hear from you! Glad you were able to get moved. Hope the transition from living with your hubby, to living alone, to living with your son and grands go well. Lots of adjustments for sure. God bless you and your family.

Going to be hot here today. Already 88% humidity. We had an inch of rain this week, so that was welcome.

Daughter, SIL and their 3 boys (11, 6, & 3) are here for a week. I can't believe how much food they go through! Mainly snacks. Will need to go to the grocery store again today.

Hugs, Beth

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning porch people.

I hope you have a nice birthday Lorita. I admit I do love a beautifully made pound cake myself and wouldn't say no to homemade ice cream.

Jerilynn I hope you have a nice pool day. It sounds really fun.

I haven't been in the pool yet this year but I did manage to drive mom to hers for a couple hours. I was hoping she'd socialize a bit, but she had her nose in her book when I picked her up.

David It's great you got to meet up with the folks from work. You sure do keep busy.

Mint I do hope you have an easier time with your mom. You do so much for her. If she won't do Depends, might she be more open to Poise?

Congratulations on the house sale. It must be nice to be done with the showings.

It's hot here. Not OK hot, but still pretty unpleasant. I met my bestie for a birthday lunch Wednesday at a roadside dive that has fabulous fried chicken. Damn it was hot. My friend has immunodeficiency and can't be unmasked indoors. I did snag a high top under a canopy with a fan, but it was still really warm. I wanted to get her birthday gift to her as well as the "hospital bathrobe" I picked up for her ahead of her surgery a week from today. Her immunologist was able to prescribe her Pemgarda monoclonal antibodies ahead of her hospitalization, but the only place she could actually get it is in State College a good 3-hour drive away which is just crazy given that there are 5 medical schools in the city.

I'm playing phone tag with the paving guy which is kind of annoying. It's not an emergency; I can wait until the weather isn't so ghastly to have the work done.

Be safe out there in this heat.
    HB

• David1946

We try to get together every 3 or 4 months to see how we are all doing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more