Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

LO just diagnosed with VD

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I think it would help if you could provide more information. Your age and LO age and is this early stage or later. There is a lot of information on the main page for those who are new to the forum. You can also use the search engine on the forum where you can use keywords, such as vascular dementia. I wish I could be of more help.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

read the book “The 36 Hour Day” a nurse recommended. It helped me so much. So sorry you are having to go through this. This forum is a place for help and support.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You'll want to monitor the situation with the kids. If the person with dementia (PWD) starts to have personality changes, they frequently target one of the kids, and if you aren't aware of it, it may take a while to catch on.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome ew, you take it one step at a time . As noted above there is much info on the main page. Get legal information in order and be sure to have your adult children read and learn as much as possible as well. Your LO will need someone to look out for their finances, medical care and someone to make decisions for them. So very sorry you needed to find this forum but you will find it helpful.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
  • Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited June 26

Sorry you have to be here ew78772. Be careful managing his finances without having a valid POA in place. You really should not be managing his money without a legal document supporting what you are doing for him. You run the risk of him or someone else accusing you of mismanagement and you won't have any legal backing to prove you were doing so at his request. PWD's get very paranoid about money and he may not remember he asked you to help.

A few more issues that come to mind include unknowingly making a wrong financial move that could make him ineligible for Medicaid if it's ever needed and he may lack capacity to grant you authority via a POA at some point. The only way to resolve that is to go to court and sue for guardianship. That costs way more than consulting a lawyer now and getting the proper documentation in place. Please protect yourself if you are going to continue to try to help him out.

• [Deleted User]
  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I made an appointment with an attorney right away. I told my husband we needed to get papers so that if anything happened to us someone could help the other. He signed a DPOA with me as primary and my daughter as secondary. I also had the attorney do one for me with my daughter as primary and son as secondary. He never questioned it or objected. Within 6 months of his diagnosis he could no longer read documents or sign his name. Don’t wait!

• [Deleted User]
  • beachbum
    beachbum Member Posts: 14
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

i applaud you for trying to take care of your ex. I’m going to assume you share children. I have no advice as I am new also but admire you for taking this on. It sucks

So many times my DH would mention divorce and then not remember saying it. Hindsight, it was the disease.

• [Deleted User]
  • Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

One quick comment from one of your posts on this thread. If you are POA his income does not become your income, in fact, as POA you are obligated to keep a very firm line between your finances and his. if only your income counts now towards a PELL grant (I honestly don't know how they work) then becoming a POA for him would not change your income level.

• [Deleted User]
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I wouldn't place great hope in the doctor being much help. Look for a certified elder law attorney at nelf.org.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Please familiarize yourself with anosognosia. Pretty soon your LO won't have any idea what's going on. I'm not sure what you will be discussing with your LO. Read a lot of threads, this will help you. This is the best online support group on the entire internet!

Iris

• [Deleted User]

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more