Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New definition of a bad day

Found DH on his hands and knees in the bathroom with poop everywhere. He was trying to clean it up by putting chunks down the shower drain. I managed to get that stopped and got him in the shower while I cleaned up the floor and the toilet. Then I scrubbed him thoroughly and got him dried and dressed. Then I started the load of laundry with the dirty towels and rags I had used to clean up the mess. Unbeknownst to me, a Depends had made its way into the dirty clothes basket and I washed that, too. Little diaper fibers and hunks of diaper were all over every item. Everything had to be shaken and dried and shaken again. Then I vacuumed the dryer filter and the basement floor. Now I am Googling what to do about poop down a shower drain. Gah!

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,749
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Your shower and toilet drains may be connected so maybe just a lot of water run through the shower.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 845
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I don’t have any suggestions. Just want you to know I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with this. sending you a big hug.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I wouldn't worry too much about poop down the shower drain, shower drains typically don't have traps and it will run straight through. Just the volume of water should be okay.

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 57
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Been there as well re: shower, I just used REALLY hot water and hoped for the best. Sending good vibes your way for a better day tomorrow!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

oh boy. Haven’t had poop in the shower yet, just on the carpet and floor.

• starwood
    starwood Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment First Anniversary

My poop story so far. During a shower this week, DH was hovering over the shower chair and when I asked what he was doing, he responded with “I’m pooping!” Yep, poop all over the shower floor, but he felt successful…so what do we do but clean it up and just keep on keeping on. And these are the kinds of things you don’t usually talk about when someone asks how are you doing! Sometimes it seems like each day brings a new definition of a bad day.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks all for your comments and support! No, this isn't what we mention when "others" ask how it's going!!

• caregirl97
    caregirl97 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Me too just yesterday. N had gotten up in middle of the night to poop, somehow got it on the floor, stepped in it, then tracked it back to bed across carpeted floor and needless to say in the bed. The cleanup, laundry, and cleaning him up was what I woke up to today. Now in ER (4am) b/c he fell getting out of bed and bloodied his face and multiple lumps of internal injuries. Hoping Monday better, but not holding my breath!! Thankful for this online site group!

• caregirl97
    caregirl97 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Haha! Truth!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

What a night for you. I hope today and Monday does get better and hope you can get some rest. Hard to do when you are in the ER. Those chairs are not comfortable.

• ghostkasper
    ghostkasper Member Posts: 7
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Comment

Buggytoo, we carry on because we love them. My DW, late stage 6, turned 83 yesterday. I recently had a similar experience. I walked in the bathroom and there was poo everywhere. The floor was cover, DW had it on her hands and running down her legs. Our daughter lives here in the neighborhood. I sent her a text. "Shit everywhere…HELP!!!" We worked together and cleaned everything. At the time it wasn't funny. The text did crack up our support group meeting though. We just keep going because we love them. Hang in there and know you are not alone.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

THANK YOU all so much, for making me laugh with your stories. My guy has to be persuaded that a toilet is a toilet, and is a better place to relieve himself than the yard, or the kitchen, or the front porch. Poops have been confined to the toilet and trash cans, so far, but flushed socks are a problem. (You can get them out with a plumbers auger.) I make up little songs about our life. He has aphasia, so does not get the words, but he likes to see me sing and dance. I never tell him that he is doing something wrong, it makes him angry, and more unpredictable. You all know the routine. Wishing you strength and a sense of humor, Buggytoo, ghostkasper, and caregirl97 and others. My mom used to say "It ain't funny McGee!" and then laugh .

• FredW
    FredW Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

minor point: shower drains do have traps, and running water will help.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 12

I washed (and partially dried) a pull-up last week too. AARGHH…! The clumps & sticky stuffing from all the wash water it had absorbed.. I still haven’t completely restored my dryer.

…and we have had poop issues too, but DH is such a fall risk and hyper-oral so he’s never in the bathroom unsupervised. Still, I’m right there with you on blue glove detail. Keep the shaving cream handy (or the 3-in-1 perineal foam no-rinse cleanser from hospice). And SO many wipes & trash bags (don’t flush!)

Hang in there. Yep, some days just *stink royally (literally).

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

oh my! Your not alone in battling poopy messes, remember a good chunk was hidden in the sweats I missed before putting in the washer. It was pretty solid so no mess in washer but created smears all over the inside of the dryer. Took me some time to disinfect and clean that though. 😟

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more