Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does occupational therapy help

Maru
Maru Member Posts: 56
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

DH in early to middle stage ALZ. There is another neurologist nearby that offers occupational therapy for dementia as part of their treatment. It is a hassle to change doctors, but if having DH do some kind of therapy that would slow the progression I would make the effort.

At home, he plays Sudoku for several hours a day and?

Hoping someone has some experieince here with these things.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Does he get the Sudoku right or is he just playing around with the numbers? I would ask specifically what OT is done, and try to do the same exercises at home.

Iris

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

honestly I doubt if it helps, sounds like a money making scheme to me.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Dad went to rehab in the middle stages after a hospitalization where he primarily had PT but worked with an OT for 30min 5x a week. TBH, I don't think he got much out of the experience although she came to my parents' apartment and made suggestions for safety given dad's hearing, vision, gait and dementia issues. That was useful.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW underwent OT and PT during maybe late Stage 5, early Stage 6. I think it was pointless. They tried to “teach” techniques to someone who can’t really retain this. My DW complied with all the exercises during the sessions, but it never stuck. She enjoyed the attention during the sessions, but not the home exercises she was supposed to do.

If you DH is on Medicare, be aware that they only cover a very limited amount of PT/OT per year, even with our Plan G supplemental coverage.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,745
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

OT? What for?

Now it could be helpful to the caregiver ie how to lift, where to put grab bars etc

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

You cannot expect PWD to "do" exercises, they must be done for them passively.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 677
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

IMHO, OT doesn't work if the brain is not functioning normally. My DH had weekly sessions with a psychiatrist (before diagnosed as LBD) to no avail. DH could not process/retain/act on the Dr's instructions. If there's something that can slow the disease's progression, we'd all be doing it already.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 875
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

my husband was evaluated for PT & OT and neither helped. He couldn’t learn. They stopped after the 2nd visit. My DH couldn’t learn to use a Walker when the facility took away his cane. He became wheelchair bound.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more