When to know
I currently live with my mom and she was diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimers six months ago or so. She is definitely starting to change but its hard for me to tell because I am around her all the time. She still drives, etc., and I am not sure when I will know i should take her keys away, etc.
Comments
-
Welcome. Sorry about your Mom’s diagnosis. The time is now. A diagnosis in her medical records means that if she’s in an accident, even if it’s not her fault, she could be sued and lose everything. Her insurance company could refuse to pay. Dementia is more than memory loss. It affects visuospatial awareness. They can’t judge speed or distance. Will her doctor tell her to stop driving? That way you could blame the doctor.
3 -
Welcome. I agree with SdianeL. Even the early stages of dementia are iffy for driving. There is just too much on the line. She could kill someone or herself. It’s not worth the risk. She will never come to you and say I’ve decided I shouldn’t be driving. Many with dementia have anosognosia. This means she can’t recognize her own symptoms or limitations. It makes things so difficult. In my area there is a place the doctor can refer you to for a simulation driving evaluation. I think it’s probably more through than the dmv. But honestly if she is far enough along to have a full dementia diagnosis she probably shouldn’t be driving. If you think this will be a fight ( it usually is), you might try telling her the car is in need of repair and take it to someone else’s house, she could “lose” her keys, you could do something to disable the car. I know these things seem deceitful and dishonest, but if you are upfront with her and tell her she is not capable, it probably won’t go well (but you know her best).
3 -
Thank you both so much! I am trying to feel her out and make sure she will have rides because I can't drive. Transportation is now a big issue because she has very few options in getting to her doctor's appointments and the library etc. She usually drives those places and I dont know how to get there now.
0 -
I would contact your local commission on aging. They might have some kind of driving service for the elderly. It might just be a good resource. Does your town have any public transportation? I would not let her use public transportation alone though. Are you able to go with her?
1 -
Many counties have transportation options to medical visits for those who can't drive.
1 -
Thank you both! We use a service for a few things but it gets expensive. I could possibly check too with the agency on aging about her Medicare benefits. You are being so helpful, I really appreciate it.
0 -
Medicare does not cover transportation. Some Medicare Advantage plans do. Medicaid does if she could qualify financially. In some states you can have both Medicare and Medicaid.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 699 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 403 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 248 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
