Just need to talk to my friends (219)
Comments
-
Just wondering- do you all peel baby.carrots before cooking? I.have always used.big carrots and peeled them. I love cooked carrots so bought baby ones this time. Just wondering if I should peel them.
Sixty degrees, Iris,I could.go for that! Okmulgee is a.nice bun to n. Been there many bun times. My mob sided lived there so that bun was onr town where we shopped. It is the Capital if the Creek Nations n. It has a town square where the Capital Building is. If I remember correctly it is the town that has a pecan festival and.bakes a.HUGE pecan pie, at least 10 ft. Across.
Tahlequah is the Capital of the Cherokee Nation and also.has the Capital.Building in a town square. They have a big Labor Day celebration with a flea.market in the square and a.parade. South of town is where the Tribal.Complex.is. I imagine the Capital Buildings are.no longer used as they once were but have exhibitions of tribal iems.They really have pretty items there such as ribbon shirts the Cherokee men wear.
0 -
HB, thanks for the tip on the gardening show on Netflix! I put it on my watchlist.
Iris, you asked if I have native flowers. Some: black eyed Susans, Virginia bluebells, bee balm, coneflowers, butterfly weed, liatris. I have many others that are not natives. I hope to add Jack in the pulpit and trillium this fall.
Lorita, glad the barn door is fixed. Ventilation will help alot.
We are in a heat advisory. It began Sunday and will continue at least a couple more days. We have plans to go to a pro BB game next week; hope the weather permits.
Beth
0 -
90 and sunny here, and we are under a heat advisory with heat index of 99. We expect a clear night and a full moon, so it may be nice to be out in a couple of hours (after sundown).
One of the senior living places is hosting a BBQ with face painting, bounce house, and fireworks from one to three Friday. Not sure how great fireworks will be in broad daylight, but I might go out for a free meal if nothing else is going on. Or not; it will be hot out there. Their promo is "Food, Fun & Freedom!" Sounds good to me if I can take the heat.
I am more likely to go to the BBQ at DS' RCF on Saturday. It will be hot there too, but I won't get a sales pitch as I probably will at the senior living place.
Marshfield, a half hour east of here, has the longest running Independence Day parade west of the Mississippi. Politicians come for photo ops, including some future presidents.
Beth, I have some native plants in my garden too. Some call them weeds, but they are blooming so . . .
2 -
Carl, I also in ave those naive plants, in abundance, because the girls were gone so long.
Beth, I have dug up bee balm,.Iiatris and lots of.other wildflowers in the meadow and along the roads and transplanted them. They lasted a few Years and were pretty. I remember the bee balm has a distinctive fragrance.
I'm about ready to go to bed and watch Lawrence, so will say good night. Nanny, today I saw some baby goats in a tiny pasture with two calves two miles west of me.. So cute.
2 -
Beth, your garden is very pretty with the native and non-native plants.
Carl, where I live we have a lot of native plants aka weeds, growing tall, because nobody tends to them. We live in a community and do have a gardening company, but it seems that all they do is cut the grass and trim thd bushes once in a while.
Lorira, baby carrots are already peeled. They are ready for you to eat them raw, in salad or as a snack. I eat baby carrots as a substitute for cookies.
Good night.
Iris
0 -
Good morning
Ron
0 -
Good morning. Sunny and beautiful at the moment, the heat dome will settle on us tomorrow. Yuck.
Lorita— I thought being pre-peeled was the whole point of buying them. I keep them on hand for lunch boxes and snacks but use traditional carrots in cooking. The dairy store sells massive carrots individually that I use for stews and soups because of their more intense flavor.
Carl— Anyway you can work in both parties? I mean a bouncy house? Last year, one of my niece's friends rented a bouncy castle/waterslide for her 4th of July celebration. He didn't warn her. A truck rolled up at 8am as a surprise. It was a blast. The kids had so much fun. Of course, the thing nearly drained their well.Beth— My aunt had trillium along the shaded side of her house. Such a pretty flower. I planted bee balm the first year I lived here. It didn't make it. I may be the first person in the history of the world to kill bee balm.
Enjoying a nice pot of tea before my mom-centric day. She sees one of her many doctors and needs to pick up some groceries. She doesn't breathe easily in heat, so I want to make sure she's stocked up. I need tea bags and some nice bread.
I made a batch of turkey chili for DS last night. I soaked the enameled Dutch oven I used overnight and still have some serious scrubbing ahead. I've never had anything stick to this pot quite like the turkey did. He better like it.
I hope all have a pleasant day.
HB0 -
Best wishes with your mom-centric day, HB. I had jack in the pulpit and 3 types of trillium at the other house: the white ones, the yellow ones and the red ones. I do miss the many, many plants from my prior garden but the garden I have now is pretty (if small). It's only 1 year old so it's doing pretty well considering that.
We have company this week from TX (daughter and her 3 boys). I got up early this a.m. and went to the gym to be back before they got up. I was there at 6 a.m. and was shocked at how many people were there. I've never been there that early before. I guess a lot of it was the before work crowd. It really was a nice way to start my day. I didn't eat before I went; I had a leftover cheeseburger (no bun) and coffee when I returned. Again, a super nice start to the day.
Hot again today. I need to water my garden. The lawn is browning a bit. We are on water restrictions - no lawn watering unless you have new seed or sod but you can water your garden.
Stay cool everyone! Beth
1 -
Good morning.
0 -
Afternoon, hot,windy and humid. Going through papers to get rid of..I have so many address labels so trying to get rid of them. Feel like I'm drowning in paper.
0 -
off to Verizon
0 -
Lorita, I don't often peel carrots. I just scrub them and eat them raw, because I think there are vitamins right under the peel. They look prettier if you peel and cook them, though.
Not sure why a party for seniors features a bouncy house, unless it's to entertain our grandchildren while they sell our children on the idea that we should live there. I just might go. The bouncy house party is on Friday and my son's BBQ is Saturday, so I can do both if I can stand the heat.
Going to the gym early in the morning is a good idea. You really enjoy your breakfast afterward, and you've gotten it done before someone can talk you into hoisting beers after work instead. When I did it, it even helped me eat properly. I was like "I worked too hard this morning to waste it on a plate of fries."
My minister devotes the dawn to prayer and Bible reading. That's his main priority and he does it first to be sure it gets done. I guess my main priority is rolling over and going back to sleep, because that's what I did this morning.
Hot and sunny, lots of pollen. Weather channel ap on my phone says running conditions are "very poor" (not that I would have). The roofers across the street are hammering away in the direct sun, but they're young and used to it.
Keep cool, friends. TTYL
1 -
BABY CARROTS;
A "baby carrot" is typically a full-sized carrot that has been cut, peeled, and shaped into a small, uniform cylinder, not a young carrot harvested early. They are made from "ugly" or undersized carrots that are cut down, polished, and often treated with a mild chlorine wash for safety, which can affect their flavor and texture compared to whole carrots.
1 -
If the baby carrots are washed in chlorine water, are they safe to eat even if you wash and/or soak them in cold water? Iris, what do you do? I have never bought them before but I thought it would be easier this way. Just checked to see what was on the pkg. It said washed and ready to eat. Found some broccoli and cauliflower that has gone by- maybe Rusty and friend will eat them.
Carl, if you're out in the heat this weekend be sure you hydrate the day before. This heat can get to a person quickly. I guess we're getting a lot of pollen too. Maybe that's the reason I have a right sided headache around my eye. My doctor says I have very large sinuses- always had problems with sinusitis. And there are weeds galore everywhere.
0 -
I do not t hink that those baby carrots. have much flavor so now I only buy regular carrots and put the peelings in the compost.
0 -
Real baby carrots are delicious. They are the carrots you pull when you are thinning the bed in the spring, not long after planting. I don't know where to get them unless you grow carrots.
2 -
Wow Judith - that you can trace family names back to 1275. We can't come anywhere close to that - only early 1800's for us.
Lorita - I'm glad you got your test done. Do you know when you can expect to get the results?
I haven't eaten baby carrots in a long time .. not for any particular reason. We put regular carrots in salads, but otherwise I tend not to eat them (especially cooked, when they're all soft and mushy).
Ahhh, "native plants". Yes, I have a few of those. I need to pull them all up.
HB - with my black thumb, I'm pretty sure I could kill a bee balm. I wouldn't even mean to.
I hope everything went well with your mom-centric day.
Beth - back when I had a job where I was required to be in the office by 9am, I'd go the gym early - 6am early. It sucked, but I did it because if I didn't, I wouldn't end up getting to go. It was always packed. I'm like you - eating before 6am is not going to happen, I just can't face food that early in the morning. I can barely face it by around 9am.
Gym's been good - earthquake bar and boxing yesterday. Boxing was fun, I learned some new moves. Footwork, mostly. Today was a cardio day - more boxing and a lot of time doing intervals on the treadmill.
I got post #50 up today! I only have about 10 more posts before I'm done with that project. But #50 feels like a milestone.
Last week at Death Guild I heard a new-ish song - Apogee (lyrics) by Madeline Goldstein. It's really pretty. If I had to classify it within the goth sub-genre, I'd call it "ethereal".
0 -
Lorita, I accidentally deleted my post. Ugh! I said that I just rinse my baby carrots under running water, I don't use a vegetable wash.
It's bedtime. Good night.
Iris
0 -
I have Bee Balm in the front flower bed! Except I let it get too crowded and now it has powdery mildew 🙄 Thinned them out and sprayed them with a “safe” fungicide. The hummingbird feeders are next to them. We watch the bees and hummingbirds every morning with our coffee.
Lorita, our across the road neighbor is a cousin by marriage. His new wife wanted baby goats so we gave them the set of orphaned twin girls. She keeps them in the stable and several times a day drives down (it’s a looong walk) to take them outside to graze and play. I believe the goats think they are puppies, lol. She’s even had her DH get a small spindle and make a ramp for them to climb (we have 2). She wants 5 goats, her DH says only 4. They’re newlyweds so I imagine she’ll get her way 😁
Been a busy 2 weeks around here; shuttling Uncle everywhere and trying to sort out his meds. The Neurologist has referred him for a Driving Evaluation that I don’t expect to go well. I helped him cut grass yesterday in the heat index of 108, then we cut our own grass.. I’d say 6 acres and guess who forgot to put on sunscreen? Yes, that would be fair skinned me. My tan line will include an inch wide strap mark across the top of my foot. I did wear a hat, 😂
Hope everyone has a good day. Careful in the sun and heat!!
0 -
Good morning
Ron
0 -
Afternoon everyone.
Let's everyone be very careful in the heat. Goodness, its brutal. I feel sorry for those whom have to work out in the heat. That direct sun will burn you before you know it.
Back later to check on everyone.
0 -
Bear found…his name is Bumbly and is a Jellycat bear. He comes from England via Amazon. He was the closest I could get to the one rom Harrods.
0 -
Psst— we're over at #220.
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 699 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 403 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 248 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help





