Just need to talk to my friends (221)
Comments
-
Good morning.
Covid-wise, I am doing better, with much less coughing. HB and GG, I'm pretty sure I don't have strep because there was no erythema or purulence in my throat, and I had all the Covid symptoms. Later today I will retest.
Lorita, Paxlovid may help in the early days of being symptomatic, so it's already too late for me. After I retest, I'm going to review the suggested isolation protocol. I'm ready to get outside again.
It sounds like you are well satisfied with your online marketing. I like the idea of tracking and picking a delivery time.
Ron, what a beautiful location for a vacation!
Eagle, I hope your eyes are responding to treatment!
I had a car that shifted poorly, due to lack of brake fluid, if I remember correctly. It had to be towed in for repair.
Iris
0 -
I called the dealer-'didn't get to talk to a mechanic but am having it towed in by AAA. They said today but no update yet. I don't think it was rodent caused. I read about it on the internet and in the user's manual, tried what they recommended but nothing. I think it said could be the selunoid ( wrong spelling,). No alert lights on dash. I may never trust it again- can't have a car that won't start way out here. Will have them check all fluids, change oil and detail it.
GG, when you're around cattle you kind of get to know their looks and what they're up to. For sure you can tell when they're.not wanting to be bothered. This cow was curious. This morning when I came in I saw a cow at the back of the garden giving her baby a bath. They take good care of their babies and the other cows look out for them, too. They actually babysit while other moms graze.. We had a big, Brangus bull, Casper, and I have seen him babysitting several little ones. Cattle are interesting animals. Billy was in the lot this morning waiting for his feed.
Eagle, putting the drops in sounds kind of hard. I use drops several times a day and sometimes during the night for dry eyes. Sometimes takes a couple of tries to get them in. No hope yours help.
GG, I usually bold my.posts before I type but at the end is easy, too.
Darwin was really confused early today. He was thinking there had been a lot of people there. I tried to convince him it was a dream. He just called and sounded better-:had been sleeping. He almost got too hot yesterday trying to eradicate a couple of plots of Johnson grass in his meadow. n the small area of it in our meadow has spread to one side of the driveway.
No how truck or update yet.
0 -
I wrote the above post earlier but didn't get it posted.
. A nice, young man just took away my car.. Since it wouldn't get out of park he just about had to drag it onto the truck. He saidd Chevrolet and Dodges have this problem more than other kinds. He says it is usually the linkage.
Glad you are improving, Iris.
What was it that happened in Waco years ago? Mother was in the throes of alz and she watched it on tv and it really.bothered her. Watching In the Heat or the Night and it's kind of on the same order.
0 -
RON…looks wonderful
Lorita….probably a rodant problem. You can google possibilities.
0 -
HB…THIS IS AN INTERESTING SMALL TREE
0 -
This?
0 -
eaglemom, my grandson football 🏈 position is running back and line back.
Ron
0 -
HB…Oops…let me see where I wrote it down…Serviceberry
Lorita…baby carrots….https://www.facebook.com/reel/1348313364164016
0 -
Serviceberry is a beautiful tree. It grows wild in the Ozarks and is one of the first to bloom in spring.
0 -
Lorita, is this your new car that you had to have towed?
Are you thinking of the Branch Davidians in regards to Waco? Are you watching the TV show ln the Heat of the Night?
I did another rapid Covid test and stabbed my throat to get more virus this time. The result still came back negative. But I am still convinced that I have Covid, perhaps a new variant, since they were always evolving. My coughing is less although my voice is somewhat hoarse from coughing so much. But I have a headache. Am I dehydrated? I have to push more fluids.
Since I have been fever free for over 48 hours, I believe I can go out tomorrow with a mask. I'll check the CDC and my local Health Department before I go out.
Good night.
Iris
0 -
Ron - that looks like a great place for a summer vacation. I hope you all enjoy it!
HB - Ha! About your DH rooting for the shark by the end. I totally understand that mind set.
eaglemom - Peggy's friend M (who was part of Team Peggy), is like you. Somehow Peggy got him to watch Evil Dead II with her (it really is funny), but he was petrified the whole time.
I'm sorry you're having such issues with your eyes. I hope everything improves - quickly too.
Iris - I'm glad you're doing somewhat better.
Lorita - I guess that's probably true about getting to know the moods/expressions of cattle. I've always been able to gauge how my cats feel just by looking at them. They're pretty expressive. Cattle are probably the same.
Carl - I had to go to wikipedia to see what a Serviceberry looks like. Pretty trees!
So weird about the bolding. And I have no hints as to whether the text is being bolded or not. I guess I'll just have to take it on faith. Fingers crossed.
I finished my photos project tonight! So happy. I now have everything sorted and labeled. I have my large shoebox filled with photos (also sorted and labeled) for my aunt and my cousins. I still have more photos I can get rid of, but it's not urgent.
Have a good night everyone. I'm hanging out at Death Guild and enjoying the music. I need to get to bed within the next half hour though - early gym call tomorrow morning.
0 -
Good morning
Ron
0 -
Good morning, all.
Eaglemom— That medication regimen sounds very convoluted. How long do you need to be on the medication? Does the need for every 2 hours and temperature control keep you stuck at home?
Mom's shots are a lifetime so long as she has any vision. If it helps, it's totally worth the inconvenient regimen.
LOL, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. My younger sister, who was a pretty ballsy kid, was freaked out by that movie. I mean, Don Knotts? Really?
Iris— I hope you're feeling better. Did anyone else in your travel group come down with Covid?
Lorita— I hope you get a quick fix on the car. Does your dealer offer loaners when a car is in for service?
It's funny you mention the cows being curious. I notice the darker herd at the dairy are much more likely to hang out around the fenceline near people than the Holsteins are. Sunday the I saw several of the younger ones all hanging around together; they reminded me of the teens who hang out at the local shopping center.
Judith— I did present serviceberry as an option; it's an approved tree on the HOA's list. The nurseryman we talked to said they weren't as popular in the area because they bloom early enough that they routinely get damaged by frost. It's a common issue here. The entire peach crop in the county was destroyed by a hard frost this spring.
Gothic G— I do sometimes enjoy a movie that's so awful it's funny. DH watches Svengooli and sometimes ropes me in to watching with him.
__________________________________________________________________
My dear auntie's boyfriend died yesterday. I got a text while with mom at the retina doctor. It's so sad, they were quite devoted to one another since they started seeing each other 5 years ago. They even had an adorable meet-cute. She lives on the first floor of a 16-storey condo while he lives on the penthouse floor. In bad weather, she'd get her steps in by walking the halls and then taking the stairs up to the next floor and so on until the top floor before reversing her way down. BF saw her and was smitten. He tried to bribe the doorman to give him her name. Dorm man said he'd ask if she was interested. She was not. He tried unsuccessfully again a month later. His breakthrough came when he asked a neighbor what he name was. He looked her up in their directory and knocked on her door to ask her to lunch, dinner, coffee— whatever she preferred. She felt a little sorry for the trouble he took and agreed to meet him for lunch. She's going to really miss him.
It's DS's birthday so we'll be going out later. I'll be enjoying the break from figuring out what to feed people.
HB0 -
Iris, there are some other viruses circulating that are pretty bad, in addition to covid. One of my friends returned to the senior center last week after 6 weeks in hospital. Take care of yourself!
Serviceberry is a small ornamental that grows at the edge of the forest and never grows very large. It would be great for a small space. I love them in early spring, when the forest is still dark and bare, except for the little puffs of white spaced along the edge.
I'm going to a 4-hour class to train for Reading Buddies today. Kathy and I did that after we retired and loved it, and I'm getting back into it. Reading Buddies tutor children (kindergarten through third grade) at the school. Children are a delight at that age, and learning to read makes the difference in whether they graduate from high school ten years from now. I won't actually start until October, to give the teachers time to decide who needs help.
0 -
HB, sounds like you are too far north to enjoy serviceberry. Hope you find something you like.
0 -
Same new car, Iris, but it's 2 1/2 years old. Hard to believe. I just called to check and they haven't even gotten it in to check -: waiting on the tech.
HB, not sure about a loaner. This is a new dealer who bought out the one I bought the car from - they didn't provide loaners. I'm not farm bound - I have the PU.but its 25 years old, not many miles but gas gauge doesn't work and it is too old to get that replaced. I need to get another hanta virus test but will wait for the car.
Had a sort of emergency about 4 yesterday so glad I have the PU. Darwin called and said he was in trouble. Hurried over and found while he was napping his wife decided to go for a walk, barefooted. She walked on a gravel road about a quarter mile, got over off the road in tall grass and fell. She couldn't get up. Luckily a car with two girls came by and saw her. They hurried down and got D. And and got her home. He had no idea how long she had been out in the sun and was scared. When I got there she was breathing hard but in the cool house. We got her cooled off and she was okay.
I suggested to him to get a lock for the door and put it up high so she couldn't reach it to get out. He doesn't drive much.now.but does leave the house. I'm worried about him, too, going out and pulling and cutting Johnson grass with her at home. Maybe I will get a chance to talk with one of his daughters. I found an alarm for our bathroom door that I put up high.on the door and facing. When turned on and the door was opened the loud alarm went off. Charles woukd.open it and when the alarm wen off he would shut the door.
Just talked with Carol. She worries about her husband. He is 84 and plays golF 3-4 hrs four days a week with seven or eight other men in their 80s and onein is 90. You all take care in the heat.
HB, have you thought about a dogwood, pink or white? They're pretty but maybe you're too far north..
0 -
@Lorita
We tagged a white dogwood at the nursery. I'm waiting to hear from their landscape guy.
HB0 -
A sunflower field near us
Sorry if I already posted and forgot about it!
TTY later
Beth
1 -
Hearing aids dead….took them in…just needed a cleaning….whew
I would like like a dogwood!
0 -
I was busy yesterday. I had a great workout: Body weight step ups, Farmer's carry/suitcase carry 700 steps, dumbbell curl to press, chest press, leg curl, leg extension, leg press, deadlift, back squat and 30" cardio - also went for a walk outside. I also mowed the backyard. Then, last evening I went to an advisory committee board meeting for our historical society. I'm quite involved with the historical society; it seems like there are often at least 4 activities at our site, not at home, that I spend time doing every month. I do enjoy it although sometimes it gets to be a bit much. That, along with my garden and yard work and gym and house stuff.
Today I haven't done a lot, other than yard work and mowing part of the front yard. DH helps. We mow with a push mower, so I guess this counts as exercise, right?
Lorita, glad Byron is helping you with your tree work. He sounds like a great guy and a real help for you. I'm hoping your back is feeling better by now. I'm going to link a video that tells how to have a "bullet proof" back at the end of my post; I think many persons can benefit from the information.
HB, I hope your plumbing issues have been resolved by now. Regarding trees, we have a serviceberry but it is more of a bush than a tree; it may come in both tree and bush form. We had a gorgeous dogwood tree at our other house; it had pretty pink flowers in the spring. I planted a red twig dogwood at this house this spring. They are so pretty in winter time.
Sandwich, I've forgotten. Do you live in the desert? I found some wasp nests and mud daubers (black wasps); some were from last year so empty but some were this years. We got rid of them all with Raid wasp spray and then knocked them down with a long pole. Of course they were up high.
Eagle, I'm sorry about your eye problem. I'd never heard of that condition. Prayers that you will get along fine and not lose any vision.
Iris, sorry you are so sick. HB had good advice: go to your PCP or urgent care. Better safe than sorry. Hope you feel better soon. Said a prayer for you.
Lorita, we've had some gorgeous moons (orange and yellow) and the sun last evening was amazing- huge and bright orange.
GG, glad you enjoyed your writing workshop. Are you planning to write a book?
Ron, your cabin at Lake of the Ozarks looks wonderful! When I was a senior in high school, our class took a senior trip there; we were in Osage Beach and stayed at Kirkwood Lodge (are you impressed I remember the name of the lodge since I graduated 53 years ago?) I have a cousin who has a second home in Camdenton, and a friend who has a second home in Lake Ozark (yes, that's a city name) and a former coworker who also has a home (primary home, not second home) on the lake - I don't remember what city. Sunrise Beach, maybe. It's a popular location for people from Iowa to go to.
Carl, are you still eating the meals from Factor? I have been trying microwave meals from the grocery store but most are not very good.
Regarding bolding or lack thereof - when I mistype a word it comes back in regular, not bold, typeface. I didn't bother to correct it.
Beth
0 -
Good afternoon.
I slept 11 hours, I really needed the rest! I feel better today. My headache is gone. What I read online confirmed that Covid headache can be due to dehydration. So I have been pushing fluids.
In these very hot days it can be difficult to maintain hydration becsuse we need more fluid than we are accustomed to imbibing. This is because we lose more fluid by sweating and even by respiration from breathing harder in the heat. We urinate less and may not be aware that we are urinating less.
Dehydration is a caution for everyone, but is especially a danger to older adults and the infirm because our sense of thirst normally weakens with age. We cannot just wait on feeling thirsty. If we become affected by heat, we may not feel thirst at all. This is why it is important to monitor urinary output as an early sign of dehydration.
It is important to proactively drink fluids and high-fluid foods, such as Popsicles or watermelon. I hope everyone is extra conscious about maintaining hydration themselves and observing for others. People should not be working in high heat. People in other countries take a siesta in the afternoon when heat is high. People should stay home when the heat is unbearable. Here, we have cooling stations set up at the libraries and senior centers so vulnerable people can be out of the heat.
Lorita, your car is still new. My car was under warranty for three years. My car from years ago that had a problem that mystified the local mechanics so much that they called in a specialist mechanic from San Francisco to advise. My car was in the shop for three weeks and apparently they replaced the engine but was all covered by the long term policy that I had purchased. My deductible was $50. The car was a Toyota Supra, which was their top of the line sports model at the time in 1983.
You might suggest that Darwin gets a baby monitor. Some have cameras, some are audio only. I don't know what the range is, but he might be able to keep tabs on D when he is out in the field.
Beth, I've never seen such a big field of sunflowers! So pretty! They seem to be such " happy " flowers. Or perhaps they make us feel happy, because they look like they're smiling.
Carl, I'm doing alright now. Each time I have had Covid I felt really sick, but I never felt that I was in danger. Until this time, but not from respiratory symptoms, but from weakness in my legs. I felt like I couldn't lift my legs. The only place I had to walk was to the bathroom, and I had to struggle and go slowly and drag myself along the furniture just to go a few feet. It really made me think about what I would do if I really couldn't handle an illness at home.
At the same time, from a medical point of view, I find the Corona virus to be fascinating. It's ever evolving. I don't know if other viruses evolve so rapidly.
I forgot to report on Jackie the eagle. Her packed red cell volume was 13% , which is anemic and very low. It should be 30-40%. The vets can't figure out why she is so anemic, they suspect she might have been ill for some time, and that is why she could not fight off the attack from the other eagles, that attacked her over a fish. Her white cell count is also elevated, indicating an infection or inflammation. I dont know if they have a way of doing a bird transfusion, but I think that would be helpful.
In good news, a kitten that had been stranded in a storm drain for threes was rescued, taken to a shelter, and has already been adopted. The kitten was named Stormy. Many city workers, animal workers and concerned citizens worked together to rescue this 3 month old kitten!
Iris
0 -
Iris…thanks for the Jackie report. I add Pedialyte to my water several times a week. I know it is a benefit and so easy to just empty a packet into my water.
Lorita…Darwin must take some precautions!!!! He is not being realistic.!!!!!
0 -
I don't have a physical science education, but it is my understanding that viruses mutate very rapidly. That is why new flu vaccines are needed every year, and why we sometimes have flu epidemics despite flu vaccines - the virus can mutate so rapidly the vaccine of the year doesn't always work.
Beth, I am still eating Factor meals. They are a whole different experience from supermarket frozen meals such as Voila (Birds Eye), Amy's, Stouffer's, and Marie Callendar. The food is fresh. Things like meat, beans, and pasta are cooked, things like broccoli and carrots are raw, and they are refrigerated not frozen. I microwave the meal to reheat the cooked parts and cook the raw parts, and the food is ready to eat in about 5 minutes. The food is not full of salt and fat, and is healthy and tasty. Vegetarian and weight loss options are available, but I am ordering the regular menu. Last night, I had a fajita bowl consisting of shredded chicken, rice, and peppers, with side dishes of seasoned black beans and carrots. I liked it a lot. I might be able to get a meal this good in a casual restaurant, but it would cost more, would be too salty, and I couldn't eat it with my shoes off.
Factor E-Mails me every Sunday to tell me what meals they propose to deliver eight days later, and I have until Wednesday to change it if I don't want certain things. For example, if I hated fish I could delete the proposed teriyaki salmon and substitute something else (I didn't). I can also skip a week, which I would do if I planned to be out of town or just wanted to eat fast food or rice & beans for a week.
Since my delivery day is Monday, I have several Factor meals in my refrigerator. I think tonight I will eat roasted chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, and green beans. Tomorrow I will probably have Italian. Life is good.
2 -
HB & eaglemom - I'm pretty sure I saw the Ghost and Mr. Chicken, and I know that Don Knotts was in it, but I couldn't tell you what that movie was about to save my life.
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt's boyfriend.
In my early teens I used to watch Fright Night (in L.A.) with Seeeeeymooooor- he would show a double feature of bottom of the barrel movies … The Attack of the Mushroom People, The Horror of Party Beach, etc. We are talking bad. I loved 'em all. 😄 Not sure why my parents let me stay up to watch that stuff.
Beth - You know what? I've always found sunflowers kind of disquieting. Not sure why … maybe because they're so tall?
I'm thinking about it (writing a novel) I have ideas….
Your workout sounds amazing!! I bet it feels amazing too.
Iris - 11 hours! That's great. Sometimes your body just needs that much sleep in order to recover.
Carl - the Reading Buddies program sounds fantastic.
Like Beth, I had a good workout today too. Dead lifts, wind shield wipers, wood chops, and the pull-up machine. Then outside for escrima (stick fighting).
I masked while we were outside today. Our air quality is horrible because of all the fires. Right now it's 147, and my s.o. says it's supposed to get up to 170 tomorrow. I am not looking forward to that. I heard that big fire in Spokane was started by arson.
0 -
Good morning
Ron
0 -
Good morning, Ron and all!
GG, sunflowers are disquieting to me because they turn to follow the sun as it moves across the sky. It's kind of like those paintings in which the eyes follow you as you move. Sentient plants 🏵️👾
0 -
Morning, I like sunflowers. I had a big, probably 2x4 picture of sunflowers on my office wall. When things got overwhelming or a hard report was due, I could look at the picture, lose myself in the field of flowers and relax. I should have brought it home when I retired but maybe the next secretary enjoyed it. There are lots of small sunflowers along the roads. I used to stop and pick a bouquet for my office.
I like dogwoods and Red buds but for some reason neither of them will do well here. We've tried both a couple of times. In the spring the wooded areas are beautiful with both of them blooming.
Iris, my car has a three warranty so this should be covered. I asked them to change the oil and detail it. It gets so dusty on these roads and it looks like birds have decided to roost on the side mirrors.
I just filled the water tank and watered the plants. Girls are coming into the barn for the day. Going to be hot but there is a breeze.
1 -
Carl…that is creepy about the sunflowers.
GG…a novel…wonderful…I have written down some memories. My husband wrote beautifully. He was an avid reader reading everything from McMurtry to Plato. Hmmm…just watched an interesting program about the relationship of Jesus and Plato.
0 -
Good morning. We've got rain on and off today. It's not hot but it feels really muggy.
Beth— That's quite a workout day. It's OK to take it a little easier and build a recovery day into your rotation. The hall shower is still leaking. At least we can use the other one until we get this sorted out.
The sunflower fields have become a thing here. Before that, the only place I saw entire field were on a trip to Alsace where they grow them for oil. The agritoinment farms have them for folks to use as a backdrop to photography. Mostly it's a hook to get people in and shopping their stores but one place actually charges admission.
Iris— I'm so glad you're on the mend. Hydration is so important.
Judith— I agree with you about Darwin. His behavior borders on self-destructive and a little irresponsible given his role as a caregiver. Old farmers, though.
Carl— You crack me up with the sentient sunflowers. After dark, they turn to face each other. They're probably plotting against us.
Gothic G— I hope the air quality improves soon. We had that last year, and it was just awful.
Lorita— I find sunflowers cheerful, too. My mom has an oil painting of them that I always liked; it's one of those pieces that just works no matter where it's hung.
_______________________________________________________________________
I need to sort out dinner. We went out last night for DS's birthday. He picked a pub that is right near a NE corridor train station. Alas, since the last visit they installed a tall fence around the patio which partly obscures the view. He still enjoyed his cheeseburger and cheddar ale sauce fries. The rest of us had fancier entrees which were mixed. DH's and mine were OK but mom ate her entire red curry shrimp and noodles.
I was kind of on edge because when we picked mom up, her POC battery was about 35%. Ugh. At 3L, that's good for about 40 minutes because the unit shuts down when it hits about 10%. We were able to charge it in the car to about 45% but I was still worried that it might tank on us. She did the same thing on Monday going to the eye doctor. She claims she's charging it, but maybe she's not plugging it in securely. I know I had my end of the charger plugged into the car. Ironically, the new battery I ordered was on her front step when I got there. My niece is going to have to watch her like a hawk when they go to Rockport.
Her vision was really bad too yesterday. We got back to the house, and I suggested she plug the unit into the wall behind her, and she literally couldn't see the outlet 8' from her face. Her vision tests are "stable", but it seems like her functional range of vision is worsening even with the injections. This pains me as she is such a visual person.
I'm hoping you all have a good day.
HB0 -
The sunflowers face each other at night??????? This is getting creepier!!!!!!!!!!!
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help



