Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New format is idiotic

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you, QBC.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Maybe our moderators Jo C and EagleMom can help us here. i agree, i am less likely to post and am sad about it. Tremendous loss and difficult for new and old users, both. And I don't think that's just garden variety difficulty with change.

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Just testing out this new format to see how (if) it works. Several mentioned not being able to use Bold or italics. Just double click on the word you want to change and the following options box pops up under the word, like this -

This box gives you options of bold, italics strikethrough, fourth option does this, and add hyperlink.

Now to post and see how it appears....

-Bill

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am totally confused with all of this. I feel like with me there are a few of us out there that are not computer savvy so this will be a problem for a few of us for a while. I do not see why anything had to be changed.

I feel lost right now, I have no idea what all these little signs mean, and I don't want to offend someone, by clicking a thumbs up, and I am thankful there is not a thumbs down. what's this about the birthday cake?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

further agree that I do NOT like it being noted when I am online. Weird and creepy.

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    edited April 2023

Just edited my profile to add my original avatar but it does not appear. After "saving" the photo it disappears.

EDIT: managed to add my old avatar, although they are useless without a magnifying glass.

-Bill

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

If you go to your profile and then to account and privacy settings, at the bottom of the list on the right is "who's on-line"...click this and it will bring up a screen which allows you to change to not being known as on-line.

• loveskitties

To edit your post, see the 3 dots at the top right of the post...click here and it will allow you to edit.

• loveskitties

This site needs to have a "if you need help navigating this site" where we can post questions and receive answers to how it is actually supposed to function. We are all answering as we can, but having to read thru an entire thread to see if there is a question, or better yet an answer, is time consuming and frustrating.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

My cynical self restrained from posting about the redesign before it happened, but I was pretty sure I knew what I was going to be getting, and I got it.

The new site is redesigned for fundraising. I've gotten four emails already asking me for a donation - nothing the matter with asking for donations, but I'd prefer transparency in that process.

Honestly I don't have time for all of the extra work involved in navigating this site. I won't disappear completely but I'm going to be scarce from now on.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I "THINK" if you click on "Home", it will help you with navigation of the site. Having said that, I'm liking this new thing less and less. I don't care about "likes". "dislikes", "badges", or any of the other things like that. I will probably never use any of them, so please don't think I don't like your post, or I don't appreciate it if I don't use those things. I don't do facebook, twitter, or other social media sites like that, and I don't like them. I'm not sure I'll be sticking around with the new user interface. I don't need 4,000 "followers". Just a simple question and answer ability is all I need.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023

Never mind

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m saddened that some very supportive and wise people may discontinue their attendance here due to this change. We need this group! So unfortunate. I actually have tears. Could be I’m extra emotional cause my moms bday is today and I’ve heard her voice on this day, every year, my whole life. Still I’ll be sad not to be here as much and not see the people that helped me navigate the trenches. Thank you so very much for all your support. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it forever, I wouldn’t have survived without you.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

I agree with loveskitties, the creators did not consider the end user. People in their 20’s and 30’s might like birthday cakes and levels and badges but … what do you estimate the average age of the spouses and partners on this site? And those of us of a certain age don’t have the same vision that we had at 30 and might not appreciate the tiny fonts in some parts of the posting. What I see as a major drawback is the missing date that the poster joined the forum. I think we all watched that date so that new members would get the attention and pointers that they need. If it’s there and I’m missing it, let me know.

oops, just found it. Tap on the circle next to the user name and look down at the the fine print at the bottom of the rectangle that opens up.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2023
  • Iris L.

I just did this and I can still see myself online!

• Iris L.
    edited April 2023

I wanted to quote just the word "Tasteless" but I am unable to delete the rest of the text. Bummer. I also want to give a "like" to the "Tasteless" description about the birthday cake. Ditto!

The original board had a pale lavender font, which was hard to see, so I and and some others began to bold all of our posts. When the platform was changed in 2011, the font was black and easier to read. Now this font is a light gray--again, hard to see.

• Iris L.

I just posted a long reply to Victoria and tried to edit, clicked on "save post" and it's gone! Anyway, Ditto to the birthday cake being tasteless!

This light gray font is reminiscent of the light lavender font of the original message board. That font was hard to see and so is this one.

• [Deleted User]
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Oh no! I'm not sure, yet, but at first sight, this is cumbersome to use.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 240
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So far the only thing I like about this new format is that I don't have to sign in each time I want to comment or post. I find this just another complicated thing to deal with and I have no time to figure out " new stuff".

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 240
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I can't even find the response I made to Crushed so if this is a repeat I apologize. I am glad I don't have to sign in every time I want to comment or post something BUT I sure don't feel like I want to have to learn all the ins and outs of this new platform. It is just another stressful aspect to my already stressed filled life.

• Iris L.
    edited April 2023

I forgot to mention that I received notifications that I am at level 3, whatever that means. Also, the stars seem to have disappeared.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

They eliminated the Chat option? That is sad. It might not have been very active for a while but it was for a long time in the past; just waiting to be rediscovered sometime. There are times I've thought of trying to invite people again. I could imagine that would have been one good use for knowing who was online so one could perhaps somehow "hail" another and invite to meet in the chat room.

Glad I finally found my way here. The old way doesn't work; just had a couple clicks to make. Today I have to come in a different way that is more laborious and required some poking around. After some repetition I know I'll get it down. Maybe just an anomaly with my computer? I can imagine those less tech savvy would have some frustrations for sure.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    edited April 2023

I went on a Bahama Cruise with daughter’s family and for the first time while I was away my husband accepted shower assistance! Win! I’m ready to figure out the new site. One big improvement is photo sharing.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Let me join the current opinion i.e., the "grey" type is really hard to see, worse than the board I started reading in 2015. And the font is too small, and the page format for message too wide. Also, birthday cakes, do they think we are six years old? Not only did they not consider the user, they did not consider the use. While the forum is sometimes used to chat and vent and always for support, many of the people who come on want easily accessed information. To get that now you have to wade through a lot of extraneous junk. I am having to come in thru the alz.org site, it gives me nothing when I use alzconnected.org. Any suggestions on that anyone? It is easier to post a link though.

Oh, be careful when you post a reply not to hit post when the add topic button is adjacent to the post comment button. One of my posts got eaten and I think that was what happened although it is just a guess.

• Another Day
    Another Day Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

This new site seems like a couple of steps backwards. It's way more difficult to navigate so far. As other's have pointed out though, maybe in a couple of days I'll get used to it or at least figure out how to use it.

• John_inFlorida
    John_inFlorida Member Posts: 51
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

I don't particularly like this new format either. I hate when changes are made for no apparent reason. Seemed to work well the way it was. Not really too sure how useful this new way will be

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more