Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New format is idiotic

Comments

• greanbeanz
    greanbeanz Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited April 2023
    @towhee - the link should still work. You might just need to refresh your browser to see it (when you navigate to it).
  • W.L.
    W.L. Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Wow, I didn't think i would ever be able to sign in again. Why did I have to jump through hoops to recreate my password and user name. I almost gave up. Like someone said before,"don't fix it if it ain't broke."

OK, I'm in (obviously, and I do like the spell check) and I suppose I'll get used to it but I question why do I need to be "promoted" to a level? I just need to post and read, affirming I'm not alone in this journey, is this some kind of contest to see who gets promoted to the highest level the fastest?

OK, I guess I'm just ranting and rambling now. Color me old school (aren't most of us on here) and don't like change.

Lee

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am also sorry to see that Chat is no longer a option. Chat was a lifesaver for me in the beginning. It helped me get through all the emotions I needed to when I had to place my DH.

Iam a older person and I have no idea why I have 10 badges and 3 birthday cakes. and Iam also a level 3????? ALZ can have my 10 badges and my cakes, please fix this mess!!!!!!!!!!!

• Marion S
    Marion S Member Posts: 4
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

I agree with all the above opinions. I have read (and learned) for many years), but likely will no longer. This is frustrating, time consuming with no improvement whatsoever. The old site had it's problems now and then, but this one isn't going to give me fits. The print is not good for my eyes; don't see why that at least could not be better. So much new stuff to figure out, and for those who know their stuff with message boards. I don't stand a snowball chance! But I wish everyone the best of luck for all.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I have figured out the badges. I got one for getting 5 likes. Then I got badges for making 1, 10,100,500,1000 comments / play my first and second year anniversary,

dear admin - I don’t need badges or levels. I am not in kindergarten. I do need to know easily if someone is new because they need replied to immediately to show support. I need to see the general and parent caregiver forums combined. Sibling caregivers happen, but the majority of non spouse type caregivers and offspring caring for their parents. I need the forums listed on the home page so I don’t need to click multiple times to see them.

• ALZConnected Moderator
    ALZConnected Moderator Administrator Posts: 86
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes
    Admin
    edited April 2023

Hello all,

The ALZConnected team wanted to let you know that we very much appreciate the constructive feedback we've read since the new platform's launch. We're listening and doing what we can to make this platform as positive an experience as possible. As such, we have created this Q&A thread to answer questions and address concerns.

The ALZConnected moderation team will monitor this Monday - Friday, 8AM - 4:30PM CST; however, peer volunteers and other members are welcome to answer questions as well. Our ask is that the Q&A thread be used for Q&A only, so please understand that unrelated topics and discussions will be removed.

Thank you all for your patience. We look forward to your engagement on ALZConnected!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

The birthday cake tracks how long you have been a member of this group.

The cake is a badge, as are the number of posts and "likes" next to it. They help flesh out who a person is-- an old-timer vs newbie or someone whose posts are highly valued by others. In some groups these can devolve into something of a popularity contest.

"Member" is meant to distinguish between members and moderators.

To remove a post, click on the 3 little dots in the upper right corner for a drop-down menu that allows this.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I have been her for about 11 years and it does not show that corectly.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,411
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

HB- you mean the three dots at the upper right of a a post made by ‘yourself’? Because when I click on them for my own post above, all I get is an Edit choice. No delete

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I can't find a way to delete the post-- only erase the message it contained. That's very odd.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I don't have any "likes" and now I'm feeling bad about myself. Where are the emojis?

• Iris L.

Michael, your birthday cake shows 10+. I take it means more than 10 years.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

We need a laughing emoji to quickly respond with next to the 💡& 👍🏻 & ❤️… ex) 🤣 Interesting there’s not a 👎🏻… also when you click the 👍🏻 it doesn’t give a list of who “liked” the comment nor could I find a place in notifications etc… cause I MUST know who “liked” me. 🤗 JK I posted this comment to try to delete it but couldn’t figure it out.

• Ed1937
    edited April 2023

"The ALZConnected moderation team will monitor this Monday - Friday, 8AM - 4:30PM CST;" So if they will monitor it, maybe we have a chance to get rid of what we don't like, and keep what we do. Maybe we should put our likes and dislikes in print starting here, so it will be easy for them to find. The one and only thing I really like is the ability to add pics to the posts. The rest can go, in my opinion.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ed, they have created a question/answer thread... https://alzconnected.org/discussion/64454/alzconnected-q-a-thread#latest

They are responding to items posted.

• Ed1937

OK! Thanks!!

• greanbeanz
    First Comment

Iris L. - when you go to post a comment, in the comment box in the bottom left you will see a little smiley face icon, you can click on that and it will show emojis you can choose from. There is also a little picture to the right of that if you'd like to add an image. If you ever want to know what the icons mean, you can hover your mouse cursor over it for a moment and a little bit of text will pop up to display what it is. This also goes for the badges and icons.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Thanks Iris. This is so hard to figure out. It's eve worse if you go between a tablet and computer. These folks do not care about us with dementia as they just trow all this shit at us as they think we can do it all. Instead of keeping it simple they add so much crap. So many extra lines on the main screen to look at. It's bad enough to have to look at a one liner but now you have to see somany extra lines that you dot need to see. I think a person in stage 6 design and made the implementation. Sorry to them but they probably would have done a better job.

• greanbeanz
    First Comment

mommyandme (m&m) - There's a notification bell at the top of the screen and if you click that, you'll see "All notifications". Click on that and it will show you your notification feed. I see a reaction section and I'm guessing where that would show your likes.

• Iris L.

Thank you greenbeanz. I do see an explanation of the icons when I touch them. I am on a smartphone, not a desktop, so I am not using a mouse.

At the bottom left of my comment box, there is not a smiley face icon. I see paragraph, images, quotation and attachment. Do others on a smartphone have smiley face emojis?

• greanbeanz
    First Comment

Iris L. - I think on your mobile device you can just use emojis like you would in a text message or email! I think most smartphones have a smiley face to the left of your space bar to access them.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I am actively and deliberately a non-participant in social media and I don't intend to start now. I hope all of those "accoutrements" will go away. Spitting in the wind, I'm sure.

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

The new format is really confusing and it makes it difficult to keep track of different topics. They are not listed on one page any more. I don't think this is an accident. Alzheimer's Association is receiving tens of millions of dollars every year from Big Pharma promoting their own Alzheimers drugs, and Big Pharma doesn't like what they are seeing about people writing critical posts about their clinical trials and tactics. They can't get rid of Alzconnected so they just want AA to make it as difficult to possible for readers to follow posts. With all those millions of dollars at stake, AA is complying.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris. I like your comments, but I don't know what to click on, and I don t want to click on the wrong thing and tell someone to go to He????? so, I just don't click on anything.

• ALZConnected Moderator
    ALZConnected Moderator Administrator Posts: 86
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes
    Admin

We have a Q&A post available to ask questions about the site, but I wanted to mention that there is a place to see all of the topics listed on one page. Click Discussions at the top of the page to see every discussion board, or click Browse All Discussions on the main page to access all discussions chronologically across every board. I'll post this information on the Q&A post as well.

• Iris L.

This is a test for emoji. 🙂

Thanks, greanbeanz!

• W.L.
    W.L. Member Posts: 22
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Back with another rant about the change. I went through a bunch of C#@p the first time setting up a new password (why?) checked the keep me signed in box and left. Came back just now and had to do it all over again, do I need a new password every time I wanna check in? Frustrating.

OK, from now on I'll stay quiet and just stick to reading and now and then posting comments, if I can get back in that is!

Lee

• Iris L.
    edited April 2023

Larry, I had the same thought. The Clinical Trials board served a valuable function. A LOT of valuable information has been lost. I didn't get time to review threads or to copy those I was most interested in. I am very unhappy.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I have not read through all the comments above so I apologize if someone has previously raised this issue but I can not find the “Connect” feature where you could privately message individual members. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more