Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Psychosis Paranoia

Hello - my aunt is 96.5. She lived on her own until 95, but now lives in a nice assisted living. Everything was fine until a few months ago when she started having extreme paranoia and psychotic episodes. She thinks people come in her room at night, beat her, and tell her they are going to kill her. It is progressively getting worse as she now accuses me of being “in on it”. She calls me all of the time - Help me! Help me! She has good medical care and a psychiatrist. They don’t seem very concerned. Perhaps they are used to this? I am afraid they will put her in memory care - all the residents say it is where the “crazy” people live. (I do NOT say this.) I think she will totally lose it if this happens. Besides her psychosis, she is sharp. Remembers everything, she can also hide her delusions from others. She goes to meals with her friends and acts like everything is fine. (She is suspicious of almost everyone.)

I am the primary person my aunt relies on - her health surrogate. I listen to her concerns, and just try to be loving. How do I get through this? I feel helpless and sad and frustrated. Thank you - Amy (I know some of you have it much worse and have been going through this for years. My heart goes out to you.)

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Has the psychiatrist witnessed one of these episodes that concern you? If not, record one and send it to him via the patient portal or at the next session. There are medications that can help SO much with delusions and paranoia. You’re right: she will end up in MC but that may be where she belongs for her safety.

• amybehappy
    amybehappy Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. Have videos of her and willshare them. The psychiatrist is coming this week and may adjust her medications.

• Sandias
    Sandias Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

Hi Amy,

How is your aunt today? What did the psychiatrist do for her? I hope her/your situation has improved.

• Sandias
    Sandias Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

Also, I have heard from many other caregivers that when their LOs suddenly developed some troubling behaviors, it often is due to a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection.) I recommend you request her doctor to check for it, just to rule it out, before giving her psychosis meds.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more