Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mom seeing ghosts

Hi everyone! I am new and this is my first post. My mom was diagnosed about a month ago with Alzheimer’s. She lives alone and is on Medicare which does not cover Alzheimer’s care. She is seeing ghosts and wants them to leave and to not argue I’ve asked the ghosts to leave, etc. but she says she still sees them and that they are smiling at her and they climb her book shelf. I asked her if she knew who these ghosts are but she says no. She also has a neurological appt Feb which is the first appt I could get for her. She is always complaining of headaches. She accuses me and my brother from stealing from her. It’s just the 3 of us left. There is nobody else. I need help. We need help. She needs to be in an assisted living facility but don’t know how to get her approved for one. She is on social security and that’s it. Please someone advise me. I am at my wits end. 😣

Comments

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello alley1065,

Welcome. Glad you found this space. I'm new, too and Im sure others will be along shortly to share more than I.

I have read in several threads that there is a different avenue for medicare that does help with residence care costs and a way to expidite the process.

Hopefully, someone with experience i. Thia will be along soon and share.

Meanwhile, take good care of yourself. The burnout and exhaustion will take you out.

Checkout care blazers videos on youtube. I've just started and they are helpful.

Another source also on youtube, dementia with grace, definitely has a video about hallucinations and delusions . I started it this morning.

Again, welcome. Tough spaces we're all finding our way through. The people here are wonderful.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited December 2023

Welcome to the forum. You need to talk to a certified elder law attorney about several things: you need to hold power of attorney for her for healthcare and finances, and you need to see how to qualify her for long-term Medicaid --not Medicare--coverage in your state. It differs by state, and it is the failsafe mechanism for paying for institutional care (why there are no other mechanisms is another story). Well worth the money for the attorney, believe me. Some states cover assisted living and memory care, some only cover nursing home care, but the attorney can help you sort that out.

Meanwhile, talk to her doctors, there are medications that can help tamp down the hallucinations/delusions.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Some states have facilities called supportive living - which are assisted living for low income people. You might call your state’s department of aging or locate a senior center in your county to inquire about them.

• DCCEPEK
    DCCEPEK Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Have her doctor put her on hospice. They take care of supplies, pull ups, pads, meds and wipes. Get started with her doctor. I'm doing the same now our LO is on meds for hallucinations.

It helps big time.

• DCCEPEK
    DCCEPEK Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Medicare does pay for all. Talk to Dr. And get home health care started. That's where we started. It took 6 months but we have help with supplies and meds. They sent a bed and walker. An aid for bathing. Thankful to see a different face once a week. Sad but true

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more