Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (194)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris….Happy Birthday

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Happy, Happ Birthday, Iris!!! Just baked some chocolate chunk cookies. Wish you had some of them. Iris, I bought these dawgs from Amazon several years ago. Ordered beige and got bright pink on. Enjoy your birthday es. I' e worn them almost every day. Really like them. I think they're a close cousin to crocs.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited April 3

Iris, hope you had a great one today and many more to come! Hugs, Marie

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Happy Birthday Iris!! I'm baking you a cake fir the front porch and the rest of Lorita's rockets will be putting on their go go dancing outfits to sing for you.

Ron

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Birthday, Iris. 🎂🌷

• jfkoc

Morton's; Morton's neuroma seems to occur in response to irritation, pressure or injury to one of the nerves that lead to your toes

I do not know about "advanced" I only know it hurts but I have been pain free now for years. I do not go barefoot!

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Birthday

• Lorita

Can't remember any foot injury. Tight toed shoes is one problem. I did wear heels part of the time when I worked but not tight. My toss are like stair steps so pointed toe shoes fit fine. Something caused it though. The time it bothers me most is at night. Can't always tell cold from hot and ooccasional, brief , sharp pain in a toe.

Now we have to be worried about contaminated eggs and milk because of bird flu. Always something. Heard they had to destroy two .million chickens. One transmission of the flu from a cow, I think, to a human.Guess the bird flu transmitted to cows at a dairy. I think three or four states are involved. I have most of a dozen eggs but are old and do have frozen milk. Don't use much of either. Usually.boil 6-8 eggs for the GPs when they get a bit older but still good.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Happy Birthday Iris.

HB Thank You.

• Lorita

Does anyone have a good, homemade liquid for cleaning windows? Vinegar and water? All if the windows in the kitchen, living room and dining have cat and dog nose smudges.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

@Lorita We had professional window washers in, I asked what they used. Dawn dish soap, water and a bit of ammonia. The ammonia makes it easier for the squeegee to slide down the window. I made up mine without ammonia, worked great.

Lorita, I had Morton's neuromas. I went to a podiatrist. She gave me injections of something that sort of kills the nerve. Worked for the most part but not totally. Had 2 removed surgically. No problems ever since.

You asked how my husband is doing. His main problem is mobility - poor gait/balance. He gets around with a quad cane. He can also walk without a cane, some, but not the best and definitely only in the house.

@Iris L. Happy birthday!

See you tomorrow or Friday. Beth

• Lorita

Beth, glad your husband is able to get around with his cane. The fall was bad enough but could have been even worse. Thanks for the idea. I will do that. I use Dawn.

Another question: I eat very few eggs but like to have them just in case. Just checked mine. I have nine that I had written the date I.bought them. January 31 is the date. Did the float test. None of them floated. I'm wondering if they would be safe to eat if I wanted to. What do you all think? Can always boil them for the GPs. Did that last time and they were fine. Hesitant to.buy eggs now because of the bird flu. England's Best is one kind that was mentioned.

• Lorita

Beth, were the cortisone injections given when you first had the neuromas diagnosed? Then had the surgeries? Did they just cut the nerve or did you have a nodule they removed? On my right foot, probably the first one that had it I can feel a pea sized or larger nodule. Did you have a long recovery time and did you have both done at the same time?

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning everyone! I'll be glad when I can have my coffee hot, it's just not the same when it's cold. Still having problems sleeping, not gagging just can't rest. Just so much going on!

42 degrees this morning, mother nature just can't make up her mind!

Ron

• Mint

Good Morning

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 797
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I cleaned cat and dog nose smudges yesterday but used storebought Windex with Vinegar. When this wind dies down we'll use the pressure washer outside (just get them clean in time for planting season so they can get good and dirty again, lol)

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

@Lorita With my Morton's neuromas, it was both feet. I first had cortisone injections which didn't work. Then a sclerosing solution (to kill the nerve) injection and it worked for all except a couple, both on the left foot. Surgery on left foot in two areas, wore a boot for awhile, full recovery with a bit of numbness that persists on one toe.

• Lorita

MMorning, Ron, it's 46 here and sunny. About out of power so will charge tablet and be back later. Everything is okay.

• jfkoc

here

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 667
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Its 35 and raining /snowing/sleeting/. Just a messy day missed going to the senior center for my exercise class

• Lorita

Called to check on Darwin about 8:45 and he was still in bed so told him I would call later. He just called. Said he had a hard time sleeping, just laid there and thought. We all do that. He got up and fixed breakfast and straightened up. Wanted to go cut wood but promised he wouldn't. No appt. Date yet. Can't understand that. I guess I slept wrong last night. Ribs on my far left side are hurting some - just took Ibuprofen.

I watched Home Town this morning. Lost Magnolia Channel which had Fixer Upper. This is the same format with different people. Filmed in Mississippi. Pretty good. Nerd to.let Gray Lady out and go to mailbox. Did everyone check in?

• jfkoc

Why does Darwin need to cut wood?

• Mint

We have had snow, rain, hail and sunshine too David. Not a bad day though.

• Lorita

Judith, I think it's just to have something to do since he doesn't have his cattle to take care of. He has plenty for them and he tells me he cuts it and gives it to people who need it. He said he has lots of fallen trees and this also cleans up his ranch. He was a big farmer before he moved here and got into running cattle do wss always outside working. Just has the need to be doing something.otherwise he gets bored.

Mint, you've had a variety of weather today. Our day has been beautiful but a.bit cool. May have rain Saturday night and probably clouds for the eclipse. Supposed to be 98% here but I won't look at it except on TV. Saw one years ago when I was working.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I am an addict of true crime; watch ID, Oxygen, and other true crime channels. Also watch court TV; they are live broadcasting a case out of WI where a 50 year old man stabbed 5 people on the Apple River and unfortunately one (a 17 year old) died. He is claiming self defense. It fascinates me to hear both sides of this case. Even though the kids were drinking alcohol and smoking pot and acting like idiots, it does not justify him stabbing 5 people and taking a life. No winners in this case.

Windy and hot here in my part of south Florida. Good thing I enjoy the heat!

Ron, I know what you mean about loving our coffee hot. I can't do the ice coffee thing.

Took LO to a trial run at a memory care daycare yesterday hoping I could get some respite just twice a week. Director said to stay about 30 minutes, to see how he's doing, before leaving. All was well as long as I was there. When I left he seemed to be doing OK . I was so looking forward to going in to Whole Foods rather than curbside pickup. Was not to be; as I'm driving away 10 minutes down the road, I get a call from the director that LO is agitated, wondering around and asking for me. Daycare fail 😔

• Lorita

SSorry,

• Lorita

Sorry, Caro Lynn, that it failed. Can you try again and not let him know when you leave? Maybe that might work. I've been trying to GRT in touch with Sarah all day but no answer. Called to make sure she was in the same room and learned she was discharged! The operator didn't know if if was yesterday or today.I'm surprised because she just had the feeding tube replaced and the PICC line put in yesterday. The operator said they have 340 patients not including the pavilion and another area. Big place. Our VA Hospital had 430 beds when I first went to work there.

• Caro_Lynne

Lorita, if you don't mind me asking, were you Charles' 24/7 caregiver until the end? Did you have any assistance? Ever since getting my LO on the right meds (for now) he is easy to care for. I mean he's no longer aggressive or violent. He's just very needy - like a toddler. I intend to keep him home until the end. I figured out that the cost to have someone help me in the house is comparable to placing him in MC. He can wander around in the house just as well as he can in MC. He has no one else but me, I just pray I can keep my promise to him.

• Caro_Lynne

Lorita, that is surprising about Sarah! Have you talked with Todd? Please let us know when you receive new information.

He did not know and I did not tell him I was leaving. I guess he looked around to where I had been sitting and noticed I wasn't there.

• Lorita

Caro Lynn, haven't talked with Todd yet. Keep thinking she will call.

Yes,I was Charles' sole. Caregiver for Seven years after he was diagnosed in 2008. No relatives of mine and all of his were in Texas. Most of the time he was easy going enough. There were periods of anger but they always disappeared in a few minutes. He helped me feed til the last winter. HS would lift the feed Into the feeders and I would empty them. He always e noted going out to be with the girls and see the pastures.

He wandered or rather left the house three or four times but I or Darwin were able to get him back home. At Mike's suggestion I put locks on all of the yard gates so no more leaving after that. Caregiving is not easy but I'd do it all again in a minute. So glad I was able to do it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more