Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My DH went to MC today

mrahope
mrahope Member Posts: 527
Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My family and I have been thinking for a long time that because of his angry and agitated behavior DH needed a safer environment than I could provide for him at home. We had chosen a facility in February but we had to await an opening and also had difficulties getting doctors to sign off on their forms.

I will say that the way he was induced to go to the facility was unique. The nursing director had visited us once at home to assess his suitability for MC and was favorably impressed by him. However, after all of us (myself, DS and DDIL) told her about his rages, and especially after his taking a rideshare and disappearing for about 3 hours 10 days ago, she decided it would be best if she picked him up. She visited again last week with the activities director and they offered him a "consulting job" seeing "difficulty patients" at their "rehab facility". (DH was formerly a clinical psychologist). She even brought a badge. To my surprise, he accepted, although he later forgot. Then today, they came back and told him they were taking him to Starbucks and then to see the facility. He got in the car with them at mid-morning today.

I texted the nursing director later and she told me that he was so angry with her that she had to leave the building. However, he is still there and she told me this is not at all unusual. Because of his anger issues we were told to wait until next week to visit.

I feel like a bomb went off in my life today. I'm in this house all alone and just keep looking around for the next angry outburst and there's no one else there. I think this is one of the most draining experiences I've ever had in my life. But at least now I feel safer than I did each day with him.

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am glad you finally got your DH into MC. Good thoughts!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m glad this worked out and you got relief. I can only imagine how difficult this has been for you.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so glad you found a facility with a nursing director that gets it. Please rest and recharge.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,702
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

fingers crossed for you both.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 787
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hugs and prayers.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 677
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Take a deep breath and enjoy this alone time. Peaceful time for you may not last long if your husband's anger and outbursts aren't controlled. Wishing the best for both of you.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I wish more directors were as engaged and creative in their approaches! Hats off to this woman! Now you can take a deep breath and know you are safe and he will be getting care.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

That was certainly one of the most creative placement ploys I have heard about. I hope your husband settles in at the MC and you can settle in to your new normal.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@mrahope

The DON who came up with that fiblet clearly understands dementia. It sounds like you've chosen well.

HB

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Placement has been bitter sweet for me. My wife has been in MC for two weeks now after two weeks in the hospital and two weeks in rehab from having a stroke. I know it is what is best and has relieved a lot of stress, but I still get sad when I walk out after visiting knowing the person that I shared my life with for almost 50 years will never come home again. I am able to go out do more things now, but I am still trying to figure out what those things will be. It has been six weeks since she has been home and I am starting to be able to think more about the good times and less about the then other times.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,702
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

it remains a process, even over long periods of time. Two years in there are still many days when it hits like a stab, and when the energy to do other things is just not there. lessons in patience.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

oh wow, that was quite the send off . I hope you are able to get some much needed rest.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 664
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope MC works out but there's an adjustment period for both of you.

• SSHarkey

May I suggest that his phone is inconspicuously removed from him? It will save you a lot of heartache and force him to connect better with the people there.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Again, thanks so much for all the support. @SSHarkey They are only allowing him to keep his phone for a few days, as residents typically can't have them. It supports the fiblet of him being a "consultant" at the facility. I don't think he has a charger, either. In the last 24 hours I've only gotten one message (at 3:43 a.m.) that asked me to bring him things like socks, underwear and tylenol. Planning to drop them there tomorrow.

• SSHarkey

That’s good! I knew a friend who was constantly barraged with calls. I’m glad to hear there’s a plan in place!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so glad for you. You deserve peace. May it continue.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more