Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

On the advice of my therapist

I have a habit of minimizing or stuffing down feelings and emotions. My therapist has given me the assignment of telling someone about something I am struggling with. Not to look for a solution but as a way to validate the experience. And so…

I have a great deal of resentment and a feeling of loss of self. DH was diagnosed while we still had teenagers at home. I went from parent as caregiver to spouse as caregiver with quite a bit of overlap. I still am a resource and support for the kids (20 & 21), but DH requires full time supervision and assistance with most things

I resent that I never had a chance to see who I was or what I wanted to do and become as an adult with adult children. The caregiving grindstone just kept going. I feel like I missed a chance to meet the person I had become as an adult and try life on my terms.

I don't resent my spouse, he didn't cause this, but I feel like a part of my life I was looking forward to will never happen as when we reach stage 8 I'm not sure how I will be or if I will have the finances to explore life. Will I go from caregiving back to full time work to be able to afford life?

Okay, I've said it. Do I feel better? No. But it is on the record now so I can't pretend the feelings aren't there. My therapist will be proud 😊

Comments

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

You framed that so well. . . "Missing the chance to meet the person. . . ". There is a profound sense of missing out on my journey and succumbing to this one instead. It especially hurts to not know if I will ever get to be unencumbered again.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,747
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Well put.

Please feel free to come here and let it out anytime. We really do understand!!!!!

I remember my first sentence here was a question. Does anyn else here want to run away?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, your therapist will be proud—you articulated it very well. Definitely no easy answers to that one. A lot of us feel this way and have those same questions i think.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree with you on so many points you brought up, and I have brought up these same things to my therapist! I often tell her that I'm afriad that I'm no longer who I used to be (let's face it….this changes you), and I'm afraid I won't know how to be someone different. Who am I any more? DH has only been in MC for 2 months, but I'm finding that I need to not go to visit him constantly, since then that becomes my life. I have to figure out what I want to do and who I want to be. I can't wait until Stage 8 to discover that, who knows how long it will be until then. So for now, I visit just a few times a week, and try and rekindle some of the zest I had for socialization.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 73
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I thought I was the only one who thought about "life after". Thank you. Not feeling so bad and guilty now.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

If we are being honest, I think most of us have these thoughts. I know I do. I worry that my health and opportunities to do the things I wanted to do will be gone by the time I am done caregiving. You are not alone ronda b.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I always feel guilty if I attempt to say out loud what you wrote. It’s not easy, this road we are on. Having this group of people writing how they feel, asking questions or just being plain mad and worn down, helps me get through each day. Your therapist will be proud, because what you wrote helped some of us.

• Petra2024
    Petra2024 Member Posts: 39
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

it’s so hard. Hearing you all share your experiences and feelings helps me get through the worst days…

• teach365
    teach365 Member Posts: 6
    5 Care Reactions First Comment First Anniversary
  • teach365
    teach365 Member Posts: 6
    5 Care Reactions First Comment First Anniversary

I am sorry. I replied and then lost the rest of the thread!

• RayeMc
    RayeMc Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Tell your therapist that you completed the task …. and helped others along the way. I often feel so guilty about thinking of the "after this" and wondering if there will be anything left of me when it is concluded. It has been helpful to see that I am not alone in thinking such thoughts and fantasizing about the next chapter. I always feel so disloyal to my DH when I have such thoughts but it is helpful to know I'm not the only one attempting to look into the future.

• PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks everyone

It seems like I will have to report back to my therapist that (once again) she is right: a burden shared is a burden eased.

• Cheryl11
    Cheryl11 Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

What all of you have said is so helpful. I too, as many of you have said, feel less alone. Thank you this place to share and support. Means a lot as we navigate through.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I can relate to everything said here. Thank you and God bless you all.

• MelissaNH
    MelissaNH Member Posts: 62
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 17

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts here. You touched upon a level of grief that I hadn't yet acknowledged fully for myself. I am 52 and I left my career to raise our two boys from the day our first was born. It always baffled me why being at home was so freaking overwhelming to me. I had this beautiful picture of what our lives would look like since we made the financial sacrifice for me to be at home, but it was always out of reach. Looking back now, it's because this disease (FTD) was rearing its ugly face and taking my husband away long ago. I had three children, really. I did everything except bring home the paycheck and instead of being a partner, he seemed to always either work against me or create chaos. Once the boys were ready to graduate high school, "the Covid years" began and putting out DH's fires became a full time job and it would take me days to recover. My mental health was at risk. I was chronically stressed and becoming depressed. Fast forward to today, I am living in what feels like an impossible situation - too much for one person. My boys still need me. My husband needs me and doesn't even recognize what is going on. I have a special/high needs dog. Seriously, I'm drowning and I'm tired of being the caregiver. The sad fact is, there is no one to care for me but myself and that feels sooo out of reach. Loss of self is so relatable. I hope that by taking your therapist's advice you found it helpful. I definitely have issues with looking for solutions. I keep waiting for someone to swoop in and save me and yet I know that that is not going to happen. It will be up to me and me alone to save myself and I can say for a fact that I have been trying my best all these years. It's just a lot and I feel resentful too. I hope you will continue to post. Thank you again and big hugs to you!

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I keep waiting for someone to swoop in and save me and yet I know that that is not going to happen.

Oh, gosh, I feel the same way. I want someone to take me by the hand, show me what I need to do, then lead me through the steps. But we know "The Cavalry Is Not Coming."

So I muddle along, daily evaluating DW's mental state, not sure where we're headed. She's still too competent to be in MC but frustratingly oblivious to just how impaired she is. She can't be left alone at this point, and it's exhausting being her entertainment director. We tried a day program, but she started sundowning well before the day's activities were over, and she said she would walk home by herself. Not remotely possible. Thinking now about in-home help.

It's a mixed bag, thinking about the future, isn't it? You can think of worst case scenarios, and there aren't many best cases.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m so sorry your life plans were changed so drastically. The biggest pitfall of this disease is it robs us of so much that’s its often hard to put into words.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
  • SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I was the primary caretaker for my uncle, my father, and my mother. A few years after the last one died, my older sister got cancer. I am now her caretaker, my older brother’s, and my husband’s. My son-in -law told me a while back he’s ready to see me not have to take care of ANYONE! So am I! If there’s anything left of me!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more