Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Traveling with AD, asking for help, lonely journey, how to cope?

Hi, I am new to this group. I am actively looking for help now. For the past 6 months, I have been struggling to care for my partner who is in moderate stage AD. Prior to that I was caring for her, but I was not so stressed about it.

We are on a vacation now out of state after staying home for about one year, since the doctor said routine and familiarity are needed to provide a stable environment for her. So far, so good. I don't want to give up seeing my family who live out of state.

MK can have breaks with reality where she doesn't recognize me and is so afraid. She feels unsafe. I have determined that when I am stressed out, she gets stressed out, and that is when the worst breaks with reality happen.

This is such a lonely voyage — I am struggling with feelings of abandonment, not from my partner who has AD, that is a different kind of grief, but from the rest of the world going about their normal lives, especially my closest friends and family. Is there any way that you have found to connect with people on this journey so that you don't feel so isolated?

Janis Gail

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Janis and welcome to the forum. This virtual group has been a lifeline for me in this journey and perhaps it can serve the same purpose for you. It is indeed a lonely journey, very few people in your “regular “ world will get it, but this group does. I have tried a couple of local support groups, but this one is better, in my opinion.

If your partner is starting to have breaks with reality, she may benefit from medication to tamp down the breaks and the associated fear and agitation. Worth discussing with her doctor. Certainly travel to any unfamiliar place can contribute. In the future, you may need to find someone to stay with her so that you can visit your family. It is all a matter of difficult trade offs.

You have come to a good place for advice and support. Read a lot of threads and you will learn a lot. Under Quick Links and Groups to the right, there is one for new members with a lot of useful information.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Hi and welcome.

I am sorry for your reason to be here but pleased you found this place.

Your feelings are very common. Dementia is somewhat unique in that even though only one partner has the diagnosis, the other very much "Lives with dementia".

For someone who is still oriented to the mainstream world, this can be hard. It can be painful hearing about the freedom, trips and new restaurant finds friends are enjoying, when that had been your goal for your so-called golden years. It can be frustrating not to see as much of family as you want whether that's an aging parent who won't be with you much longer or grandchildren who are growing up fast without a chance for you to make memories with them. Not everything can be deferred while you provide care for your LO.

Going forward, meds should help regardless. It is necessary, per the airline safety briefing, to put your own oxygen mask on before assisting others. For you to be the best caregiver you can, you need to have breaks built into your routine whether it's a weekly activity you attend or a trip to see family while your LO is in the care of someone else— family, hired aides or MC respite stays are all options.

HB

• Bebobra
    Bebobra Member Posts: 39
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hello Janis Gail 🌺It can be very hard and lonely. I’m sorry you’re facing this and want you to know you have come to a great place here. This is the only place I have. I can come here and read and cry, knowing I am not alone. I haven’t called the number yet but do believe I will soon as this is driving me to a place I haven’t been to before emotionally. I cannot imagine what you’re dealing with on top of the symptoms your partner is going through with not recognizing you and such.

I know for myself as I care for my MIL I’ve become angry. Angry that I am here and not where I want to be with my grandchildren. Angry that when I want to help her she insists on doing it herself even if it could cost her a bone breaking fall like it did almost this morning, as the three of us were there to help but she insisted. I just don’t get it no more.

Very difficult when family that was supposed to be there for her have now bailed. Kept moving their date of coming to relieve us so we can move out of State. To think we moved to another State with 99.8% of our possessions in March and now we have been here with her for over two months and crickets from the other family members. Truly alone. I find it very difficult.

I hope you can get some answers with meds to help and some relief for you too as I know how very overwhelming it can be without the added layer of traveling🌺

Be gentle with yourself and know you are doing the best you can with what you know and as you become more armed with tools and education about what you’re dealing with your life can be better. The oxygen mask analogy is accurate. I know I am taking a leaf out of that book for myself.

• Seeker Karen
    Seeker Karen Member Posts: 3
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thank you so much! I find that my DH and I are in much the same situation except that DH and I travel to accommodate my part time employment. DH is exhausted a lot of the time and prefers sleeping to exploring when I get back from working. I have tried to stay an extra few days so we can enjoy the area, with mixed results. DH is still able to drive safely but can get confused about how to get back so he is hesitant to leave without me and therefore won’t explore while I’m working. That is actually less stressful for me but really limits his ability to enjoy the trip. I also find that I am caretaking when I get back from working, getting meals, medications, etc. and he wants to sleep rather than go to a restaurant or do an activity in the later afternoon and evening. I need to work for the time being and We are adjusting and he is trying hard to be supportive of me and I love him so much for his efforts.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Karen. If your DH is struggling, then he should not be driving or exploring in a strange area. It's too dangerous.

Iris

• RetiredTeacher
    RetiredTeacher Member Posts: 35
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Janis,

My heart goes out to you. My husband has been diagnosed with VD. He's had 3 strokes we know of and I'm seeing personality changes. The last year has been the toughest and I have had to give up so much of my independence, my life and dreams. We sold our RV because he couldn't drive anymore and I thought those days and dreams were over. We both missed traveling so we bought an older class C and are planning an RV trip to Oregon. Is it the same?? No, but we are still able to go at thos point. He is still ambulatory abd although impaired, this is probably the best he's going to be. We need to maximize any time we have left. I'm not ready to throw in the towel. It's different for sure but thankful we may be able to make some more memories. I hope you find the strength and support you need to keep going as ling ad possible.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more