Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (198)

Comments

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Hi All- I’m pretty new to the ALZ site. I’ve noticed this thread “just want to talk to my friends” appears to be made up of a group of members who are perhaps in the same geo area and who have developed a close relationship with one another. You all seem like a tight knit group. Is this right? Is there something any of you might share about the evolution and nature of this thread? It’s unique, as far as I can tell, from the entire rest of the ALZ site. If it’s none of my business let me know. Just curious.
    Thanks
    Karen

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited July 30

Welcome Karen. We are all over the US and even from Australia! Where are you? I am in Los Angeles area.

Lorita, can your county farm bureau get some lizards to eat the grasshoppers? When I was a small child, about four years old, we had a caterpillar infestation in our area of Brooklyn. I wasn't afraid of the caterpillars then. I don't know how they left. I'm pretty sure they didn't all turn into beautiful butterflies, because I think I would have remembered seeing a large number of beautiful butterflies.

Simon has hard stools and has a hard time passing. I have gotten pumpkin to add to his food, I hope he will take it. Dies anyone have any tips to treat constipation in a 19 year old cat? He does drink water okay.

I was watching men's gymnastics, how stunning!

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning everyone

Lorita before we moved to Ohio we lived in Pleasant Valley, Kentucky and there was a pleasant valley cemetery there. I always thought it was a pretty cemetery. It was on a small hill.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited July 30

Iris, I've used this in the distant past. Also, if you google laxative for cats a number of things come up.

https://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/laxaire-laxative-for-cats-and-dogs-otc

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning Porchlings.

Hi Karen. Nice to meet you. Lorita can answer your questions about our virtual porch hangout. I live in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia.

Iris— Simon is a handsome boy. He looks very like my bestie's Louie who was one of her daughter's rescue projects. For constipation, pumpkin and wet food should help. I used to give my long-haired cats Laxatone which is a hairball treatment that lubricates and makes passing stools easier. It's kind of like a tuna-flavored toothpaste— you can put it on your finger or his paws to be licked off. My cats loved it; my mom's never took to it. I would ask the vet if whatever condition he that is causing weakness in hind legs is impacting his ability to move his bowels.

VETOQUINOL Laxatone Tuna Flavored Gel Hairball Control Supplement for Cats, 4.25-oz tube - Chewy.com

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I took mom to the urogynecologist yesterday. That was, hands down, the weirdest appointment ever and I've sat through her getting eye injections. They're recommending a minor procedure, but she'll need more testing first which gives me some time to research and ask around. What I see on the internet is a bunch of personal injury attorneys when I google it.

I'm staying in today and tying up some loose ends. Laundry. Banking. Touching base with the plumber and tile company. Getting things together for passports. Touching base with DS around registering for some classes he wants to take and birthday plans.

I hope the day is pleasant for all.
    HB

• Iris L.

Thank you Beth and HB about the recommendations about Lax'aire and Laxatone for Simon. I had used Laxatone in the past for my cat Adam, who gets hairballs. I'll have to get some more. I used to add chia seeds to all of their food, I may have to try that again. HB, I'm pretty sure his saropenia makes it harder for him to evacuate.

HB, you are a busy woman!

There was a 4.9 earthquake yesterday about 100 miles from me. Apparently many people felt it, but I didn't feel a thing.

Iris

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good morning, just did my exercise now going home for lunch around 3.p.m. go back to the senior center for a Hawaiian Luao.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, windy and hot. Back later..

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I will try to be there is that is alright with Todd.

• Lorita
    edited July 30

Judith, I told him you had inquired about when it would be and he said he would be very happy to have you attend and he knew Sarah would be, too. So very nice of you to do that if you can. I'm just not up to the trip now especially with the hot weather.. That is a long road. I appreciate all you have done for my family; going to appointments with Sarah, visiting her in the hospital and just genuinely caring. Also I thank you for the visit to my sister- you're a true friend and this includes Winda.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Welcome Karen! I'm a Louisiana boy and my wife who recently passed with dementia wasfrom Kentucky. The front porch is always full of friends and rocking chairs can easily be added.

Thought after my trip with family I was improving, but after son left yesterday I now am a wreck. Today has been extremely hard fir some reason and I don't know how much longer I can take this.

I'm still reading daily and missing sharing cooking and goid memories of my life, but I'll be back.

Ron

• jfkoc

I will try to change a Dr appt

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello To All My Front Porch Friends.

Lorita, Iam so sorry to hear of Sarahs passing, she is in a better place right now.

My house did sell, and I have made my first move. My son and I found a real cute apartment in Bend, Oregon we finished the move this past weekend. I'm all unpacked and settled in the apartment and I really like it. Molly and my 2 cats seem to like it as well. I have a small fenced in back yard for Molly to go out in, she likes that. My yard in my house was not fenced so she had to go out on a lead. I was really worried about my cats, because all they have known was my house. They have been exploring for the last 3 days and are doing really good.

My next move will be to Arizona, and that will be happening in 3 weeks. I have been through a lot this past 3 months so now Iam planning on getting lots of rest preparing for the next move.

This is the first time I have turned my computer on for quite a while. And I have missed all of you.

Hugs and take care Zetta

• jfkoc

Yea, Zetta is on the move!!!

• jfkoc

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Judith this move was easy, the next move will be more challenging. We will be driving a SUV with my stuff and Molly and my 2 cats in it. We will be on the road for 2 days with a one night stop over. My son will be doing all the driving. 😃

• Lorita
    edited July 30

Zetta, glad to hear from you. Sandy and I were talking about not hearing from and she said she thought you were looking for an apartment . Glad selling the house is over and you can rest before your next move.

Thank you, yes Sarah is in a better place and that makes losing her a bit easier.

Best index is 106. I went out early and filled the water tank only time I have been outside. The grasshoppers are still here. They set out a bale of hay for the heifers which to me is sad they had to. Normally this time of year the grass is good. What will they do next?

• BethL

Recent weather has been a challenge in many areas lately. Lorita, that is awful about the grasshoppers. Reminds me of one of the "Little House on the Prairie" books.

I was awakened by a lot of wind, some rain, around 3:00 a.m. Not sure how much we got, as my rain gauge tipped over and dumped its' water. Another storm came through later this morning and we've had rumbles of thunder off and on. Supposed to have storms overnight tonight too.

Zetta, I am glad you are making progress on your moves. Rest up; moving is stressful.

HB, you mentioned passports. Do you have international travel planned?

Karen, welcome to the porch. We are a gathering of online friends. A few have met in real life, but most have not. We just enjoy supporting each other and hearing about others' lives. I'm from Iowa, retired nurse; my person with dementia was my mom who passed in 2017. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Take care and rest well all.

• Lorita

Ron, you're alone again so you may have to sort of readjust again, but you will. Come to the porch and let us know how feel. Many of us have gone through what you are dealing with.

Welcome to the porch, Karen. I live in eastern Okla. On a farm/ ranch. I lost my husband to vascular dementia in 2015. I started this thread in 2008 when he was diagnosed. I didn't know much about the disease and needed to know more and what to expect. It has been a Godsend for me and I have made many lasting friendships.

Darwin just told me he has another kind of grasshopper. This one is bigger than the 2" yellow ones and is gray with dark spots and he has baby ones, too. I guess when they eat everything in this area, they'll move on. Luckily they aren't eating crab grass and some Bermuda so there may be some hay. Our neighbor to the south has baled and looks like it made lots.

See you all tomorrow. Sleep tight!

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Hi Lorita and All Front Porchers- what a wonderful group of people you are!

I’m from the San Francisco Bay Area. My wife of 42 years has AD. We’re about 12 years in and she has only recently been officially diagnosed. She’s got anosognosia so, all that goes with that. In addition to this, I had a serious car accident 1 1/2 years ago when someone careened into me on the freeway and broke my back in several places. Im still recovering from that, but much better. I’m struggling tonight though as I just found out a friend who I haven’t seen for a couple of years has passed away. I knew she was struggling with an illness and yet I let my feeling of being overwhelmed with my wife and my accident recovery that I put off calling her. I found it difficult to let her know about my wife’s AD, and it’s been hard to communicate with friends openly over the phone anyway because of it.. And now it’s too late. I let my friend down and I have to find a way to live with that. Just feeling very sad.
    So, you all seem like a very solid good hearted group. And it seems that unlike a lot of other ALZ threads, the focus here is to notice and talk about the goodness in the day to day. Something we all need. So I sincerely hope my sharing this with you isn’t out of line here.
    My Best to you All,

Karen

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 793
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning from muggy, rainy, hot Alabama!

Ron, take good care of yourself. Zetta, glad you've gotten temporarily settled.

Welcome @Karen711 . I joined the Porch about a year ago? and have found it to be a place to share and ask any question. I was caregiver to my father-in-law with vascular dementia for 4 years until he passed at the age of 98 in May. He had no other living relatives after my husband, his son, passed away in 2020. I'm also a retired RN, mainly administrative roles for the past 20 years. I've remarried and live on 40 acres in North Alabama, my "new" husband has a small farm a short 20 miles away in Tennessee. We have goats, chickens, dogs, and a blended family that includes lots of grandchildren and great grands. DH just retired in March and we are still working at sorting out all the "stuff" and now dealing with the passing of my FIL.

Porch Rockers, DH is slugging thru the process of finding out what all needs "fixing" after years of ignoring symptoms and pain. So far, he has a bulging disc in his neck, a torn rotator cuff (both will need surgical correction) and in 2 weeks goes to the oral surgeon to investigate what I believe will turn out to be either TMJ, trigeminal neuralgia or migraines. If the dentist can't figure it out, we move on to a neurologist.

On the Estate debacle, the Probate Judge has decided that I am not next of kin to my FIL by legal definition, in spite a of will naming me, and will not grant me Testamentary Letters (appointing me as Executor of the Estate) to further deal with the Estate. Therefore, a hearing will be set and a Guardian Ad Litem appointed to attempt to locate any children descended from the 7 deceased brothers and sisters of my FIL to see if they wish to contest the Will. ??? crazy right? Don't know these people, their names, where they are. Haven't had any contact nor had my FIL that I am aware of. So now I get to pay $$$ to try to find them… what a mess.

Happier notes: Hoochie the Rooster is enjoying being a rooster, lol. He's the last into the coop at night, seeming to hang back till all the Ladies are in the house for the eveming. Oliver the Kitty seems to be hanging in, still eating and seems content. The Bird is fine. DH is ready to pull fence wire to finish extending pasture area for the goats to move here from Huntland and to be able to separate the girls from the boys. We have to get that done before winter. We are beginning the process to get power to the barn and painting of the house siding has begun (we hired that to be done). Grands and great Grands are getting ready for school to start back, so lots of shopping going on. Trying to keep grass and pasture cut between rain and storms has been challenging. The restoration of the 1963 Chevy Super Sport car is coming along (DH finally got moving on that when I complained I was tired of looking at that thing in the garage) and hopefully next Spring we will be tooling along the highway in it. I made contact with Arlington National Cemetery and HB you were right. Up to a year to schedule a cremains burial. I'm hoping they accept the will to enable me to get FIL there when the time comes.

I think that's all the news from Alabama today. Hope everyone has a good day.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

good morning

• BethL

Good morning!

JeriLynn, so sorry about the estate debacle. It doesn't seem right, since he named you in the will. One must wonder how one makes a will solid so there can be no issues like you are encountering.

We had storms again last night (2 nights in a row) - reported on the news 3" last night alone. The sun is out now but storms are in the forecast again for tonight. It's very muddy out so I cannot get into the garden to get my garden work done. I may be able to work on the fringes where there is mulch, not mud and in my raised beds to harvest and prune. Oh well, can't control the weather.

I have some tomatoes on the counter that I can process for freezing. I should buy some sweet corn to process soon; it'll be out of season before we know it. A friend of mine bought and processed 44 dozen ears!!! Wow!

I shall get on with my day now…have a good one, everyone.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Hi Karen, all are welcome on Lorita's porch! I live in SE Florida and am caregiver to my ex-partner with vascular dementia. He has no other family, never had children so I am it.

I don't post as often as I would like but love reading about everyone's animals, gardens, recipes and just know that I can always find support and comfort here. xo

• Iris L.

Rest up, then enjoy your road trip, Zetta!

Beth, my supermarket is no longer selling fresh unshucked corn. Is it too late?

Iris

• BethL

Iris, there are roadside stands here where farmers sell their corn. You might also try a Farmer's Market.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 31

Good morning all another hot and humid day heav rain due today. My wife doesn't want me to eat baloney do to the outbreak of listeria. Baloney is my favorite deli meat

• Lorita

Morning, everyone. Beth. wish you could share some of that mud. I would exchange grasshoppers for rain because we have lots of them. Another hot day in store with many more to come.

Went to the mailbox this morning and noticed Toad has put out hay for both sets of cows. Shouldn't have to feed hay until December.

Staying in as much as possible, did fill water tank and may try to water the violets and caladiums late today. Back later.

• jfkoc

HOT!

Welcome Karen. I live just east of Lorita and have been chatting with her since this thread started in 2008…16 years ago.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more