Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Making prompting or cueing work

dancsfo
dancsfo Member Posts: 290
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Prompting or cueing is defined as "Prompting refers to giving a verbal, physical, or gesture cue to indicate what the person with dementia is expected to do next".

https://www.brookdale.com/en/brookdale-life/blogs/2021/use-the-prompting-technique-with-loved-ones-with-dementia.html

I try to use that with a PWD when distraction or redirection does not work, and PWD insists on doing something. I find it difficult since it presupposes that what the PWD thinks what to do next agrees with what you think happens next.

Example: If I guess that PWD wants to make tea but is randomly opening and closing cabinets and drawers looking for something, I can point to where tea is, and then where sugar is, and so on. That assumes I can guess that PWD wants tea, and if you can guess that from earlier steps, such as getting a cup, then it's going to succeed. If you have no clue what PWD wants, then it's bound to fail.

If left alone with no prompting, PWD can get frustrated as their activity will fail. If prompting is seen as too aggressive, PWD can lash out with a "leave me alone". If you ask PWD "what are you trying to do", one can get no response. Of course, if PWD starts doing something dangerous, one has to intervene strongly.

Going back to the example of making tea, I try to limit things like utensils or cups laid out to just a few familiar items, so that you get a better idea what PWD wants. i.e. this is my cup used for tea. If a PWD sees too many different cups or mugs in the cupboard, it can get confusing. In other words, limit choices to just a few, preferably one.

Anyone have experiences to share?

Comments

• H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 498
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Just my thoughts. If pwd is opening and closing kitchen cupboards and you think they may want tea, then say “some tea really sounds good, what do you think”. If tea was the goal they will agree, if not maybe they will be distracted by the idea of tea. If they are not interested in the tea say “you know I actually think a snack is what sounds good to me, I’m not sure if I want cookie or some fruit.” Maybe this will prompt them to tell you what they want. Keep in mind they might not know what they are looking for as they are going through the cupboards. At some point you tell them “ the tea is in that cupboard if you want to get it or the cookies are there, I’ll get the …”. Good luck.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited July 30

Thanks. You make a good point that I don't need to be concerned about providing for a particular need. It's fine to get a snack instead, rather than just tea.

I do remember once when I asked PWD "what are you looking for?", the answer was "I just want to know what's there". So you're right - they might not know what they are looking for.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more