Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I went on a nice day trip today, visiting several bakeries. I'm on carb overload!

Iris

• Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 23
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

well done enjoy 👍🏼I’m coeliac so gluten free 🥴life’s tough ha ha!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning from mom’s house. She’s still asleep which is not unusual for her. Her cat has been up to get some treats, inspect her litter (clean) and then went back to sleep in the sunroom. The procedure went really well— exactly as described by the surgeon so far. They took her down at 1:50, started the procedure at 2:00 and she was in recovery by 2:30. By the time I saw her at 3:00, she was wolfing down a turkey sandwich and chatting with the nurses. She shared a nurse with someone who wasn’t doing as well, so her voiding evaluation was delayed. Even so, she was home by 6:45 and we mostly missed rush hour.

I’m going to hang until noonish and go check on my other peeps.

HB

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning, glad things went well for your mother, HB. I know she must be glad to be home.

Going to be another 98 degree day. Really looking forward to the cooler weather Monday. Today is a big college football day in Oklahoma .Tulsa, OSU and OU all play today so I know what I'll be doing later. Back later

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Went to the bookswap at Senior Center and got some great books. Danielle Steele, (Sisters and Journey),Preston and Child (Old Bones )Ben Sherwood(The Survivors Club)

• Mint

Biggles welcome to the porch. Im a retired healthcare worker from Ohio. I care for my mother. I like to raise flowers and veggies. I enjoy cooking when i have time. If you would like to, tell is a little bit about yourself.

HB nice to hear your mom is doing well.

Ron nice to see you enjoying time with your Grandson. Nice looking young man.

Lorita stay cool.

• Lorita

Ron, you have a handsome grandson, just like his grandpa. Also like your shirt! How long are you going to visit him?

Matilda isn't in her web this morning. Hope she didn't get angry at me for throwing a grasshopper and bugs in her web. Years ago Charles and I had another Matilda. She kept her web up all the time so Charles put a bug in her web for her to eat. From that time on she took down her web every morning and respun it every night. Saved another grasshopper from drowning in the water tank. Silly me.

Welcome. Biggles. Glad you posted. I live in Oklahoma and run cattle. I have three cats and two Great Pyrenees.

Allergies are bothering all of us this morning, itching, stuffy and drippy nose. Already have heat index of 97. Feel sorry for the football players and fans.

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lorita, I will leave here the 26th! My birthday is the 24th and DIL is 25th. It was beautiful scenery driving through the mountains coming here.

Grandson will only be 16 in two weeks and already 6.1!

Ron

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

what good looking men…wonderful photo

up late then had to watch Mrs Doubtfire…now downstairs pottering about..accomplishing nothing

sprinkler system repair yesterday

Hi biggles from Oklahoma

HB…glad all went well

Iris…yum

• Lorita
    Ron, 6'11", your grandson could play basketball, too.
    I watched an Alan Ladd movie from 1-3. Just when it was time for OSU to play Utah, my sound went off.Called Directv and they were able to tell me how to get it on Just a reboot. What next? It's 100 in Stillwater and they said 140 on the field. How do they stand it?

• Mint

Good morning

• Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 23
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for the welcome Lorita. I am 74 years old DM is 76 he has vascular dementia. Eating is getting difficult, showering and shaving too are becoming difficult, clothes shoes etc go on back to front and wrong feet. We laugh together about all of this, I cry on my own about this. He has been a private pilot, thus Biggles, owning our own single engine plane; a sailor sailing ocean racing yachts together. All sounds fantastic but heart ache is heart ache and I have felt so alone. It’s comforting to read about others and know I am not alone. Thankyou.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Welcome, Biggles. It sounds like you have lived an adventurous life. I'm sorry it has changed. This disease robs of so much. Stick with us on this site, do lots of reading and you will learn a lot. Best wishes.

Ron, you and your grandson are handsome! Thanks for sharing your photo. Enjoy your family time!

• Lorita

Morning, watching morning news shows. This is the first day of Autumn!!!!

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 794
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Leaving the Blue Ridge Mountains Thru the Cherokee National Forest and alongside the Ocoee River onward home today. We’ve had a wonderful time away.

Thank you for all the good vibes. SIL had only 1 short episode but overall was happy and content. DH cooked an amazing breakfast each morning and other meals we laid out a spread together. Food just tastes so much better outside.

Welcome to our newest Porch Friends!! Back later after we get home and I get caught up with all the happenings while we’ve been away. Have a great day!

• Lorita

Beautiful pictures and scenery. The one of the highway with mountains reminds me of the way it looks when we go into Arkansas via I-40 from Oklahoma. So glad you all had a good time.

• jfkoc

Love that river pic…

Biggles…my husband was a navy pilot and we sailed also but just locally

Well….looks like the flip house is not going to flip just yet. Long story and not at all interesting.

It is a gray damp day. Perfect for getting stuff done inside

• Mint

beautiful pictures, glad a nice time had by all.

Beautiful day here. Giving cloudy and chance of rain next few days. Rain would be appreciated here in Ohio.

• Lorita

Judith, damp? Still hot and dry here but promise of rain later. Will have to see it to believe it. Maybe I will go out and stand in it!

Just had hashbrowns, scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. I love the chopper. Will never buy frozen hashbrown's again. You peel the potato, or not, cut it in quarters, put it in and five seconds later hashbrowns!

Left side hurts some at waistline.

• jfkoc

what is the "chopper"?

• Lorita

it's probably a 4 cup mini food procesdorr. Brand is Starfrit. The blades go up and down the shaft. Does a good job.

Eagle, I'm watching the Ravens beat up the Cowboys. 21 to 3. Chiefs tonight.

We had about five minutes of sprinkles three hours ago. Getting dark now. Judith, did you get much rain?

• jfkoc

I have no idea how much rain. It sputtered and splashed throughout the day.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited September 23

HB, what procedure did your mom have? I'm glad she came through successfully!

I went to a Red Hat Society tea this afternoon. It was my first time.

I bought a chopper at Aldi's. I want to make a broccoli salad.

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

use to make a broccoli salad that was tasty, probably not real healthy though.

We were blessed with a little rain overnight, looks like about 3/10 of an inch.

Take care

• harshedbuzz

Good morning to those on the porch.

Lorita— I hope the weather breaks for you soon now that's it's officially fall. I hope you had a great weekend of football.

Speaking of football, Ron— that is a great picture. Your grandson has your eyes.

David— I'm glad the book swap was fruitful. Mom's clubhouse library has a discard box for residents to take books in addition to their lending library. There's always something interesting in the box that make me wonder how it ended up there. We found copies of The 36-Hour Day and Being Mortal— I wondered if the person who donated hung out here.

Biggles— Welcome to the porch.

Jerilynn— I'm glad your SIL was mostly pleasant and that the trip was a success. The pictures are great. It's weird, but they sort of remind me a bit of sections of Maine.

Mint— I do hope you get your needed rain. And when you've had your fill, please send it in my direction as things here can only be described as "extra-crispy". I hope to go out and trim some spent perennials later as they just look like weeds at this point. Oddly, my black-eyed-Susans are flourishing. I want to pick up a couple of mums or something for my front step and some ornamental corn for the door.

Iris— Mom had what they call a "mini-sling" procedure. So far it seems to be working for her. I'm hoping this helps with her tendency to UTIs which scare the daylights out of me. They're silent, in that she has no urgency or pain, but she goes off the rails. The first time her BP was 199/100 and she was uncharacteristically combative and the time after that her BP was 65/50 and she was so weak I had to use a transport chair to get her into the ER. Both resulted in extended ER visits with admissions after.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After I last posted, mom and I paid some of her bills. Nothing was late, but she missed the discount deadline on both her school and per capita taxes. In the past, she normally bugged me to drive her to the tax collector's office to pay these in person because 1) they give her a receipt on the spot and 2) the man has a remarkably varied candy jar and is generous. She once left his office with both her coat pockets full. This strategy worked; she crossed party lines to vote for him and his candy jar. It's very odd that she didn't pay these already as the discount is around $250. I got the sense she thought it was August still.

I showered at her house before going home. I asked to use her blow dryer and the one she gave me didn't really work. When I said, I'd leave and dry my hair at home, she got me a second blow dryer. I recognized this one. I bought it on my last trip to FL when I was dissatisfied with the first one she gave me. Grrr, this means I actually packed and moved that thing. Then I asked to use her hot brush. The first she gave me rotated and tangle my hair so badly I thought I might have to cut it out. The second one had too small a barrel and not much in the way of drying performance. So she went back to her room and came back with a third one. I recognized it; it was a Christmas gift from us a few years back. The barrel size wasn't ideal, but it did a mostly OK job.

After, I asked her which one she uses as her hair always looks professionally done. She looked at me with that deer-in-the-headlights look and said, "I don't remember". Note to self— call the Memory Center and find out when you can expect a call back to schedule an appointment. I reached out in April/May and the said 3 months with an appointment in 6-ish. It's getting harder to explain away what I'm seeing. I've already decided to insert myself into her finances more aggressively.

HB

• harshedbuzz

On a lighter note—

When I saw DS yesterday morning, he said he'd had a bachelorette party on his last "Speakeasy" train. This was a first— he's been trainman for birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, bar mitzvahs, rehearsal dinners and retirement parties. He said they were a rowdy bunch— girls gone wild. He knew he was in trouble when he punched their tickets after boarding and one said "You must be our stripper".

HB

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

HB, that's funny about the bachelorette party! Hope your mom recovers well from surgery. Her memory lapses are concerning for sure. You have a lot on your plate. When I was helping my mom with dementia, she was on the phone when I walked in arranging for someone to come to the house with her "lottery winnings." (She had NEVER played the lottery.) I picked up the phone and told the guy not to come in no uncertain terms. What would he have done in terms of scamming her? Scary to think about.

JeriLynn, your photos are beautiful. I'm so glad you had a good time.

We got possession of our new home Tuesday. Every day since, we have taken 1-3 loads up there and unpacked them. I've found that we will need a new bookcase pronto. Even though I recently donated 63 books to the library. You see, at our current home we have built ins (pic attached) plus a small bookcase. No built ins at the new house. Movers are here today packing us up. They will do the furniture Friday. Since I told them to take "everything" (almost) I may not be able to cook here for the rest of the week. So sad. Not!

"OLD HOUSE" TO SHOW OUR BUILT INS ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FIREPLACE

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita wasn't that a pathic showing by the Cowboys? I don't see Jerry keeping the coach around very long. Now, the Chief's did give me a scare. They need to sharpen up.

Speaking of the Chief's, are you aware there was a Hallmark Christmas movie filmed in KC this summer? I think the name is something like Holiday Touchdown!! I think it will be fun to watch.

I'm finally tired of moving things around on the patio, so I'm declaring that project completed. It wouldn't have been so bad if the temp wasn't in the upper 90's and heat index 106+. But it's done and I'm glad.

Here is the ironic twist of the day. I had tree trimmers scheduled to come today. And……out of the blue we had rain last night and they can't trim today. I'm not sure when he'll get us in his schedule, but he said sometime this week. We've waited 7 weeks, its no big deal but zero rain for 7 weeks until the day we're to have our trees trimmed.

Off to a Zoom meeting, be safe everyone.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney