Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

JeriLynn we lived on what I called a hobby farm growing up. We had just a little over 47 acres. I remember if we went away it seemed like you had to do an awful lot of extra work to be able to go.

David hope yo had a good doctor visit.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks, Eagle sometimes I feel like one compared to what I used to do. Well, the sprayer works with water. I had one heck of a time getting the preservative open.. Finally got it opened. Thought I was going to have to get the FedEex guy to open it. Next hurdle is seeing if the preservative will go through the sprayer. The stump is 4 1/2 ft across and about 4 ft. tall. Has to have two coats 30 min. apart.

A car came up the drive earlier, turned around and left. You can't see the house from the main gate so guess when they got up here realized it was the wrong plàce. Really upset the GPs, then half an hour later FedEx came and it started again. They're sleeping now.

Eagle, we have never been Cowboy fans but relatives in the Texas Panhandlers really are. Don't work too hard putting things back in pkace. Going to be hot today.

Yhirls just went into the barn. I saw Daisy standing at the gate looking at the NE pasture where they were this morning so know she staked her baby out down there. She's letting her get stronger, away from the others and bonding with her. Sounds farfetched but the babies can tell their mothers voice and vice versa. Amazing how they care for the babies..

Iris, 34 pounds and counting! How are you doing? Any more earthquakes? Okla. Has them but more so in central Okla., however I do have a crack in the drywall over a window from one years ago.

I think I will wait until morning to put on the preservative when it is cooler so it won't dry so fast.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 664
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Lorita, Just got back from the DR. and he wants to see me in December because I have a slight case of incontinence and at that time we will discuss what meds if any might help me. Right now I am o.k. with my symptoms the way they are

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, there was another earthquake, 3.6, this morning at 6:22 am. I was asleep so I didn't feel it.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Aldi….another store within my 1 mile radius. Neve been but will now.

• David1946

It a good store they do not carry everything but it's a good Place.

• Lorita

I have always thought Aldis was just a grocery store. Judith, were all those stores there when you moved there or did they build after you were there? How is your foot?

David,glad things went well at your doctors.

All of us just got up from a two hour nap. Probably would still be asleep if the driveway alarm hadn't gone off.

Sandy, I'm drinking a Rich Chocolate Boost- so good. Thanks for giving me that little push to get them. Hope the day has hone well for everyone.

I did forget to mention that our little town lost a grocery store where I liked to shop but will gain a Beall's that will go in the same building. Never been to one of those either.

• jfkoc

There has not been any new commercial building on my plateau since I have lived here. Most of the homes are on at least 1/2 acre so plenty of space. All single family except for one condo development but it is one story, behind a wall and well landscaped.

• Lorita

You are in a perfect location, Judith. I feel like I am, too, minus stores.

I just spent a very peaceful 45 minutes sitting on the porch in the cool breeze watching the girls change pastures. Daisy went to her baby and brought him up with the others. He would stop and wander around and she would wait on him. When they got to the gate she let him explore, then she went through and stopped waiting on him to come through That gate is hard for babies because it opens back aǹd they have to go around it to get through. There were a couple of little babies close by and they came through. Mom waited, then turned around to watch, said something and he came through and they took off to join the others. The two little ones were following behind. It is a joy, for me, to watch the interaction between moms and babies. They teach them to mind. When it is time to nurse(they have them in a schedule), mom will call the baby and you see him running to her and latching on. It's really fun to watch them.

Another two blooms on the Althea with grasshoppers chomping away. I will stop, knowing I am boring you all. Sleep well tonight.

• jfkoc

Beall's will be wonderful! You have needed a grocery store!!!

• Lorita

From what Carol says it's a clothing, etc. Store where they bring things that don't sell in other stores. They have one in her town. When I was last down there they were working on it inside with old air conditioners outside. There is only one dept. Store there and a Dollar Tree and General Dollar p!us WM.

• Mint

Good morning

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning from Lorita's front porch!

Busy day yesterday, car serviced, stopping mail, washing, checking off my list of things to do.

Today having lunch at church with a bunch of other old timmers. This afternoon I will pack and get ready for a early start tommorow.

I'll try to remember some of the questions I've been asked. My grandson will be 16 next month, my trip will be thru Arkansas, I can't wear the compression stocking so will make sure I stop frequently. I really don't know what's going on with my oxygen level dropping below 90 on very light activity, but haven't been overly concerned since it does go back up fairly quickly. I was going to pack my finger oxygen check, but was advised to keep it in the car with me. Luckily Springfield has a VA Hospital if I do have any problems! Nothing will stop me from making this trip!!

Ron

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Good morning from MI 🙋. I haven't posted on this specific thread before, I hope I've found a group to share daily living while being a caregiver to DH, have I ?

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hi brs and welcome! For conversation and friendship and help as well, you have come the right place. Welcome!

• Mint

Ron my car is in the shop today too. It is there for its yearly physical. So hope you have a nice trip.

Welcome to the porch brs. We definitely share daily living on here and there is always another empty rocking chair.
    I am a retired health care worker and live in Ohio. My mother is the one I caregive for.
    If you have been following along here for awhile you know we are from all over the US and elsewhere. Some on here are caregivers presently, others have been in the past, some are dealing with cognitive issues or dementia themselves.

Lorita started the thread many years ago.

• David1946

Morning just returned from. Exercise and had new exercises and boy my hips are sore but it feels good

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 792
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Tuesday morning Porch Peeps!

We're packed. The tractor is ready for the neighbor to use. Granddaughter and BF are here with their dogs and somewhat getting settled. Leaving tomorrow at 6am if the Good Lord sees fit.

Ron, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Today is my dear Aunt's 84th birthday so I'm jumping in the car to deliver her present in just a bit.

Have a great day everyone!

• Lorita

Morning,welcome brs, always room for more. Glad you joined us. Going to get the preservative on the tree stump today. Hope I have enough for two coats. If not, will order more and repeat. We had dew last night so have to wait until it dries. I want to get out and see all the new babies today. Stormy will go with me in the Gator. Enjoy your day.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, why are you putting preservative on your tree stumps?

• jfkoc

Lorita…I have the same question.

Ron…have a wonderful time

Jerilynn…you too and pay no attention to the SIL

brs…hi and wlecome…I am in Oklahoma City

David…keep adding those exercises

• Lorita
    edited September 17

So it won't rot. Got one coat on and will put another in a few minutes. The bark is already pulling away from the wood. Thepump sprayer works well but tires my arm moving it up and down, etc. I want to be able to have it to set flower pots on next summer.. Hope it works. It's hot out there when you're doing something and this will be the coolest day for a while

Just got some bad news. Mark from our rural water district was out reading meters and he called to say we have a leak, on my side of the meter, of course. Called the plumber and he can't get to it until Friday. Always something. We had a leak years ago and the cost was awful. Can't turn off the water for almost three days so, there we go.

• David1946

I plan on going to another senior center (in addition to my current one I do 2 programs a week there) they have a different program it is aimed at Parkinson's but they say that a lot of exercises will help me with my dementia

• Lorita

That sounds good Gor you, David. Glad you enjoy the classes

. Just thought of something. Have any of you ever fixed wilted lettuce? Charles loved it.

• jfkoc

David….exercise is so good for us. I have done Parkinson's class. It is really good exercise. It was fast music and fast dance like exercises.

Lorita…sorry about the leak. Hope the bill is not too high. You might be able to find what is leaking and not use that source.

• Lorita
    edited September 17

Judith, Charles and I laid the waterline from the main line, a quarter mile. We had someone dig the trench, about three feet deep. No other source out here. That was 29 years ago. The bill will be high but Mark said there is some kind of discount we can use. I think the water bill last time was around $900. He said it wasn't leaking last month.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good afternoon all. Welcome brh, you'll find we're a pretty chatty group! Welcome.

Lorita your correct, its always something. And its never anything that's not expensive! The last two days have been pretty hot. I've not gotten things back on the porch - I'm rearranging where the sofa and loveseat were previously and can't decide where I want them located. Thankfully this hasn't bothered DH too much. He usually has to have everything the exact same way - but since I keep moving these two things I'll probably end up putting them where they were!! I'm just not hurrying through this project - my knees just won't let me.

Ron I'll say it - I'm so excited for you making this trip. Maybe as excited as you are taking it. Enjoy that football game. Stop frequently along the way and walk around for 10 minutes or so.

David we tried a new exercise video this morning and my hips aren't happy with me either. Think we'll skip tomorrow. Or at least do something different.

I need to iron, ugh. DH uses handkerchief's and I iron them. He uses at least two per day, occasionally more, lots of allergies. I know I don't have to iron them, but I just can't stand them being a wrinkly mess.

I had a call this morning from a friend, Covid. Let's be safe out there.

eagle

• David1946

Eaglemom, I am currently doing 2 exercise classes (with 2 different teachers) mostly for balance and each class the teachers add something different this week it was working the hips and they are sore.

• David1946

Lorita, Once I try the new the class I will let you know how I like them

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia