Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (199)

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

David…I take Gabapentin at night for Neuropathy. Please update if it helps you.

• David1946
    David1946 Member Posts: 665
    500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 26

I will definitely let you know after I have been on it for a week or two. I have heard that it makes you very sleepy. I will.let you know how sleepy I get

• jfkoc

This popped up

"

• One study found that 200 mg of magnesium citrate daily improved RLS symptoms without major side effects. Another study found that magnesium and vitamin B6 supplements improved RLS symptoms and sleep quality over two months. 

I take magnesium cyclimate too

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you everyone.

Beth as far as I can tell it isn't being live streamed.

Lorita glad you are seeing a few green leaves, gives hope.

Judith i thought about you last night. I was watching MaxVelocity on YT last night and he was showing the clouds and talkin about the hail. I forget how big he said it was at one point. I have never seen hail like that.

Caro_Lynne it is my mom’s brother.

David hope the new medicine works better for you.

My family made it to their destination. My cousin has not made it to Atlanta yet. My Aunt said it is pouring in Atlanta right now.

HB hope school is going well for DS.

Take care

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

We got almost an inch of rain. Every drop soaked in so you can't tell it rained. It's 81 here right now and absolutely lovely. I just watched the girls cone out of the barn. Almost all stopped by to get a drink from the water tank. I'm going to let it get empty so I can wash it out before I fill it.

I like to see them leave the barn to graze. A few cows and several babies came out first. One baby kept calling and calling his mother. As the cows came out he would go toward them, then pass them by. So, they identify their mothers by sight and sound Finally, his mother answered ( just leaving the barn) and he started running toward her. Guess it was about time for a snack.

I really enjoy watching the interactions between calves and their mothers and between the cows and between the little ones. They tend to find a friend or two and stay together, just like little kids.

• David1946
  • Lorita

Judith I don't mean to pry but just wonder what kind of neuropathy you have, Have never seen you mention diabetes. Does the Gabapentin help? Wondering because I'm getting neuropathy from Morton's Neuroma., not bad but it bothers me mostly at night.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Simon is at the Rainbow Bridge. He developed labored breathing and I took him in to see the vet. She said it was time. I have him at the crematorium now. He was 19 1/2 years. He was my Adventure Cat!

Iris

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 794
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning,

Mint, I'm so very sorry about your Uncle. Prayers for you and safe travel for your family.

Iris, such a hard thing. I know you will miss Simon. You had his love for many years.

Ron, hope you had a wonderful birthday. Time with family is a blessing. Safe travels to you too.

Lorita, this Granddaughter is 25. She is a tattoo artist, vegetarian and marches to an entirely different drum than the rest of DH's family (all the children, grandchildren, greatgrands belonged to his late wife). I admire her *$%& and determination. She is a tiny but mighty little thing. She doesn't even know yet just how strong she is.

Beth, hope your move is going well. Exciting to be in a new home, but a lot of work. Did you take some flowers with you?

The hurricane Helene is surely a big one. I was in Lake Wales, Florida for Charley, Francis and Jeanne. 3 within 6 weeks. Prayers for those in the path. Caro, I can't remember just where you are, but thinking of you. We are in the cone for rain and some wind. Pop up tornadoes usually come along as well. Heavy rain here yesterday, but I don't know how much. I should get a rain gauge.

Gabapentin: I take 300 mg. at bedtime for neuropathy. Supposed to take it twice a day, but it makes me too sleepy. I can tell a difference if I miss a dose. No diabetes here. Got the "over 65" flu shot yesterday. I will not be taking the Covid vaccine this time.

OK, coffee is ready. Have a good day everyone. BBL.

• Mint

Good morning

Lorita i like watching cattle too

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Good morning.

Caro and anyone else in the path of Helene— I hope you're able to be safe and avoid damage.

Lorita— I'm glad you finally got some rain. I hope the second leak has been dealt with. I do enjoy your descriptions of your cows. It's like a small dose of "All Creatures Great and Small" each morning.

Iris— I am so sorry to learn of Simon's passing. He sounds like he was one of those special cat companions and I'm sure you'll miss him. I'm glad the new medication is improving your energy level. Mom's cardiologist prescribed Jardiance (CHF is a newer indication) and it really improved things for her.

David— I hope you do well with Gabapentin. I found it made me ridiculously sleepy.

Mint— I'm glad most of the family has arrived safely. That's less for you to worry about.

DS seems really pumped to be in a classroom again. His ASD/ADHD present as a developmental delay in emotional and brain development of about 1/3 his chronological age. He's bright enough (dazzling in some subjects), but at 31 thinks and acts like someone closer to 20 which has been frustrating. He was a very uncooperative student until he was a junior in high school; I truly wasn't sure he'd graduate. My very academic DH really struggled with this. College was better, but I felt like he was phoning it in. He did earn his BA in 5 years but didn't find his niche. So far, he's enjoying his classes (chemistry and psych) and seems to be doing well. Fingers crossed. For now, he's happy and DH is less anxious.

DS did seem to pick up a man cold at work. I will test him for COVID later, just in case. The historic railroad where he works gets busier in the fall with special foliage trains and themed evening runs. With the kids back to school, the exposure to bugs of all kinds is considerable. Christmas is worse as the trains are packed by people with non-refundable tickets and they sing— as a CRT/RRT, you can appreciate this is an ideal way to spread disease.

Jerilynn— Your granddaughter-by-marriage is very cute. I hear you on the patio. I need to drag my power washer out and do my front walk. It's concrete and gets so dingy it pains me every time I walk out the door.

Has the new range been installed yet?

Ron— I hope you and your DIL had a lovely birthday celebration.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's really dreary here today. We had a bit (0.1") of rain yesterday— just enough to make for a bad-hair day without any real benefits. It's not rained in so long, the roads were incredibly slick. Today seems to be more of the same. I'm hanging out at home. Laundry beckons.

I took Mother out for a couple hours yesterday. I've got her sequestered to avoid a URI and coughing which could impact the success of the surgery she just had. But I did take her to a massive thrift store and let her poke around. She found a couple things— she always does. I found a large ceramic potato-shaped serving dish and an Easter-themed tablecloth. I use a tablecloth daily at dinner, so that was a good find. The potato is for a friend of DH's who grew up in Idaho on a farm. Any time I find something with spuds, I buy it. The tackier, the better. I think DH was happier with my find than I was.

HB

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Hi porch peeps, hope everyone is having a good day.

I'm in SE Florida about 45 minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale on the water. We've gotten a few bands coming through which bring rain and wind (nothing out of the ordinary here where I live). More to come later today but we should be OK. I just hope the tiles on my still unfinished roof don't blow away! Thanks for thinking of me ♥️

HB sounds like your mom is doing well, nothing a little shopping to help her recuperate.

I too love hearing about Lorita's cows and gp's. Learned so much about them just reading your posts, always look forward to more.

Glad you enjoyed your trip JeriLynn and was mostly uneventful with SIL. Ron if you're still travelling, be safe.

Judith, I hadn't heard of baking soda for the weeds in pavers. I usually do the DIY high acid vinegar, water, salt and downy in the sprayer. I splurged and bought a rechargeable battery operated one so I don't have to keep pumping with the manual one. It's been too windy to spray so the weeds are propagating like crazy with all the rain we've had. Thankful for the rain though, it's keeping the grass green.

Mint, when does your sister get back?

Hospice nurse here, back later xo

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Iris, the loss of one of our fur babies is so hard, particularly when decisions have to be made.

My heart goes out to you.

• David1946

I hope everyone in the path of Helene are o.k.

• Caro_Lynne

Iris, so sad about Simon, I'm sorry - you gave him a great life. So painful losing a fur baby.

xo Caro

• Lorita

Hi,

Iris, I am so sorry that Simon had to leave you. I know exactly how you are feeling because we have lost so many. Its like a hole is left in your heart that they had filled. Do you have many at the Rainbow Bridge? I imagine many of ours have crossed over with Charles and others waiting for me. I cry every time I read the poem.

I have to figure out how to get allergy shots for the GPs and antibiotic shot for Stormy. I found another hot spot beginning. I can't get Sheena in the car and don't want to ask Darwin to lift that much —she weighs around 100 lbs. Stormy will get in but he has a seizure when we get there if there are dogs or people around. The clinic is always busy. Problems, problems.

Water is okay but haven't gotten the water bill yet.Th e hurricane sounds bad. JeriLynn, will it affect you? Caro Lynn, hope you all are okay, too. We had hoped we might rain from it but looks like that won't happen.

Glad you all enjoy hearing about the girls. I need to stop and wash out and fill their water tank.

• David1946

Hi everyone spent the day at the Senior Center, had our weekly sing along had American chop suey, then went to my exercise class now I'm exhausted. Also learned there is a bowling league for people with Parkinson's and Dementia. I will look into joining

• jfkoc

everyone is so busy today…

Iris….big hug sent

David…take the Gabapetin in the evening…it will help you sleep…a good thing

Caro…my sister lives in Edgewater

Lorita. ..I have ideopathic (sp) neuropathy…lots of test were done…please chat with your Dr.

Today was an adventure…had to go outside my square mile to get drivers license renewed…lol

• Lorita

Thanks,

Judith. The last time I had my license renewed in 2023, I noticed on my license it doesn't need to be renewed until 2030! Guess that's one advantage of getting old-er

• Caro_Lynne
    edited September 26

Judith your sister is about 200 miles north of me. How has her weather been? Wind picking up here. Hope she stays safe! Do you ever come for a visit? You made me laugh; I seldom leave my zip code LOL

• Mint

HB hope things continue to go well for your son. It is hard watching people we love struggle. I know the struggle with the age thing. With the type of ADHD my nephew has they are 3-5 years behind. I feel he is about 3 years behind. Are you a RRT HB?

Caro_Lynne you were a hospice nurse, thats nice. I just ran into a RN that i worked with in acute care yesterday. She switched over to hospice. She just retired and she is in her early 70s. My sisters are on their way back home. No rain so far they said but looks like right now that in Kentucky and Southern Ohio they will. MyAunt, cousin and DH are headed back to Atlanta. Looks like it will be rain but maybe not real heavy. They live in Tampa so they are going to stay in Atlanta and try to go home Saturday. Take care

• Caro_Lynne

No mint, I'm not a hospice nurse. I literally meant hospice nurse here - as in she's here at my house. Although I do feel like one xo

• Lorita

Just heard we can now order four, free, covid tests to be shipped Sept. 30. Website is Covidtests.gov. Just ordered mine.

Shirley and Sandy, looks like you both may get remnants of the hurricane. Be safe. Looks like it will be, or is, a bad one.

• Mint

😊Caro_lynne, know you do.

Lorita i was wondering about Shirley. Think she is in the Carolinas, but I forget which one. Know SC has been having several tornado warnings not sure about NC, cant remember.

• Lorita

Shirley is in South Carolina and Sandy is in Virginia. Is the rain going to get up to you, Mint?

• Mint
    edited September 27

Good morning

Caro_Lynne, Shirley hope you are ok this morning

we have had no rain so far. They are giving several days of clouds and rain but we must be on upper edge as they are giving very little rain unless we would happen to get a thunderstorm. We got about 2 inches this week already so the small amounts will add up.

my sisters got home around midnight. Aunt and cousin mad it to Atlanta. They will try to go to Tampa saturday.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 794
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Morning

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited September 27

Good morning

Iris, I am sorry for the loss of your beloved Simon. You took great care of him and provided him much love.

Moving Day!

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Good morning! I pray that everyone in the oath of Helene stays safe.

I'm home now, was so anxious to get back, I drove straight through, took ne 8 hours. Sore this morning and a lot to do; start mail back, grocery shopping, wash and dry clothes and catch check book up.

I was so much at piece in Missouri that I didn't cry a single time. I hadn't been back home for a hour and I started crying.

Ron

• Mint
    edited September 27

Ron glad you had a nice time. something to think about. May be time to move closer to family

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more