Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

It Begins

MemoryGuardian
MemoryGuardian Member Posts: 2
First Comment
After my fathers inital diagnosis little while ago without a tear; today it hit me hard.

A distant friend that my parents visited (with prior warning of the situation), spoke of how different my dad was generally and how in ~5yrs since last seeing both my parents the changes in my dad.

Denial - for the longest time we've seen him bumble about, and this is kind of what he's like anyway. A man, now in mid 70s, whos always kind, happy, whistling, singing and always reminds of Baloo the bear from the Jungle Book. At least those are my memories.

Today, he's still mostly that person, but the degeneration is showing. I'm constantly asking myself how much time to we have before he doesn't know who I am.
The situation is Compounded by the fact i'm 200 miles away.
My Mum is providing the support with my brother and his family also nearby.

I know there is no cure.
So without waffling on more with my story, I'm after one thing:

How can I make best use of what I have left - however long that is.
I ask for ideas and even things to talk about.
Nothing is off limits.

Paul
"look for the bare necessities, forget about your worries and your strife"

p.s. To this disgusting disease : * * !

Comments

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My heart goes out to you. Sometimes it's the perspective of someone who hasn't seen our LO for a while that jolts us into realizing how much they have changed.

Things to talk about ... whatever interests him. If he doesn't initiate conversation, start with what's in front of you: today's weather, a meal you are sharing, a picture on the wall, a puzzle or game you are doing together. It's really hard, but try not to start sentences with "remember when we ..." (took that vacation, adopted the puppy, visited uncle somebody, etc). It's amazing to me how our minds want to stretch back to the past or ahead to the future. PWD cannot do that effectively.

I've had to learn with my mom to focus on the present moment and enjoy the time together right now, even though she won't remember it an hour after I've left. She can't identify me as her daughter, but she smiles when she sees me and says "aww" when I have to leave. There is still a connection, at least for now. Savor the present.

• MemoryGuardian
    MemoryGuardian Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thanks - thats eyeopening.

I think it will be hard to "not remember when". As a son there are so many happy memories I want to reshare. I think thats whats going to be so hard.

I'm fortunate that my dad bothered to lug around a massive video camera (back then its a VCR on a trolly and. camera the size the bbc would use) round the world in the 80s an while living in the middle east. So, oddly we have a ton of video though 80s and early 90s with all of us as family in various locations, in addition to literally thousands of photos of places that probably dont exist anymore. Its with sadness that he will struggle to tell me the amazing story behind them. I support its ok to ask about these memories, until its no longer comfortable.

Right now things are ok, mostly. Its early so i think were in ES. But its complacency worries me: Saying we'll do something in a year or whatever. Living away you'd think id notice it more however despite being away I make regular trips with my family and have done for years. However, now more than ever thats getting financially harder.

With a full time, challenging job i enjoy and family of my own, its frighening, how fast that time sails by and that in itself is a worry: try and keep focus on quality time i have.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum Paul. The other thing you can do is make sure your mom has adequate support. Being the primary caregiver for a spouse with dementia is very difficult, and since you live distantly she may not tell you frankly how difficult it is.

These early days are the time to make sure legal and financial matters are squared away- she needs to hold his powers of attorney for healthcare and finances, and there needs to be a backup plan in case she can no longer function as the primary caregiver. Hopefully you and your brother can be on the same page about these things, but that’s not always the case.

Glad you have good memories to sustain you. It’s a tough time with a lot of ambiguous loss.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes of course if he is still able and interested to talk about the memories, by all means enjoy them together. Knowing that his ability to do this is temporary makes it that much more a treasure. Of course that is true for all of us, in every relationship, but dementia makes it so much more apparent. Love to you and your dad. It's obvious how much he means to you.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

it is great you have those videos - what a gift. Your parents may really enjoy seeing your these one day, even if they don’t quite remember. Also one thing is showing your love. I have found that walking into MC with a positive feeling can lighten everyone. It is not easy. You can be a huge lift to your family as they live through the day to day, especially when you show your love and support. I have a sibling who visits twice a year or so and it makes a huge difference. It lifts my mood and my mom’s.

• mabelgirl
    mabelgirl Member Posts: 200
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Can your brother set up a video chat for you and your dad and mom? This I believe is more important to us to see our LO by any means. Phone calls can hide stuff. My mom loves to video chat her friend. She used to be able to do it herself but now the iPad just frustrates her.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more