Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (142)

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello everyone!  It's been a long time since I visited your porches.  I see everyone is hanging in and getting vaccinated.  

Judith, I had planned to post about you because I had not seen a post from you in a while, then I saw your name.  A belated Happy Birthday to you!  And many more!  

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nice to have you sitting on the porch with us Iris.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning All,

Looks like I am in for a windy day today. Weather man says we could be getting a little snow on the first day of spring. 

Joan,   Thank You I am no pain at all. I took a Tylenol PM last night just in case and I probably did not even need too. I bet you enjoyed watching your GD play. I am glad your starting to feel better with spring just around the corner. 

Betty,    It's nice you found a place to get your vaccines, so many are still trying. I feel lucky to have also been able to get mine. That is a good idea to take a pict of the card. The next time I go to my Dr I will show him the card. He probably already knows because I got my shot in the same clinic he is at. 

Sara,  Thanks for telling me about your Dads uncle. It's good to hear positive things about toothless people. I sure will try to eat everything. I just need to be careful till more come out because chomping down will cause more to break off. I really don't mind being toothless and that is good because my ins. will not cover dentures. My dentist said at my age dealing with new dentures is very changeling. I do not like changeling.  

Lorita,   Where are you this morning? I hope all is well with you and yours.

Hugs Zetta 

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks Iris....I have actually been trying to get more productive around my house. Still have not finished sorting what must have been well over 2K....mostly, almost all, were Dick's. We found a lot of  first editions. Mostly not valuable but I kept them. Many were donated to the library and some just pitched. I know when I die the remainder will likely get pitched. Oh, someone told me that I could take some to the 1/2 price book store.  I do have some that could go there and it would be a great idea since the library is o longer and option due to covid.

Joan....I know what you mean about getting out of bed. Hopefully you will get back to feeling 16.....

Someone....when do I sewn the lettuce seeds I bought a year ago? Are they still good?

I was looking for some interesting large throw pillows the other day and ran into some made of Mud cloth. They are so interesting. Google and let me know what you think.

BTW...someone on the caregivers board asked if there was a spreed sheet for evaluating MC. Interesting idea. 

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning,

Thanks for asking about me, Zetta, I'm all right - just not feeling too awfully well this morning.  Guess I did too much yesterday because my back hurts.  Took a couple of Ibuprofens so it'll be better.  Just kind of sitting around drinking hot tea.  It's cold and very windy here this morning - just in the 40s with WC in the 30s - not pleasant - and also cloudy.  I did go out and feed Tom and Jerry and opened up the lot so Sally and her baby (baby looks good this morning) and Rose Bud could come out if they wanted to.  Several of the other girls were in the other side of the barn.  Filled one water tank - and that's it.  I may not even feed today.   Glad your tooth's feeling no pain today.  I had an uncle when I was a little girl who didn't have teeth.  The tip of his nose would almost touch his chin.  He lost part of one finger somehow and I remember that scared me.  If you decide to have your teeth extracted, go to an oral surgeon.  You'll feel no pain - at least I didn't.  Zetta, that uncle could eat steak - no kiddin'.

Thanks, Judith, for the information.  I hope I don't have to go that route.  I called our health department a few minutes ago to see why I didn't get an appointment time - not just the date.  She said their health department can't make appointments (maybe because they're so small and don't get many doses of the vaccine).  She took my name and phone number and told me if I didn't hear from them by the 29th to call and see which kind of vaccine they got.  This week they have Moderna.  If they don't have the Pfizer on the 30th, then I  may have to go the portal route - or wait until the next week when they might have Pfizer.  She said they never know which they'll get.  She did tell me one thing that isn't what I've read.  She said you have six weeks from the time your second dose is due to get the second one - I've read you have six weeks or 42 days from the time you get your first one to get the second one.  She said two weeks after you get the first dose you're 40% protected.  Two weeks after the second one you're 94% protected - that's the Pfizer vaccine.  I mentioned I could probably go to Eufaula if our health department didn't have Pfizer but she said since it's the same County, they'd have the same kind.   We'll see.

Iris - how nice that you've come to visit with us. Hope you come back more often.  We always enjoy talking with everyone and learning more about them.  I always enjoy reading your posts on other threads - so glad you came to sit with us a while.

Oh, Judith, lettuce is considered a cool weather crop - you can plant your seeds anytime - they're still good.  I've had seeds in the freezer for years that still germinated.  Can also plant radishes and herbs now.

Joan - so glad you're feeling better - the change in dosage will probably help, too.  I always feel like I'm 90 when I get out of bed.  Hard to take that first step.  I think this is because of my Morton's Neuroma - takes a bit to get going.  Also hear lots of snap, crackle and pop from my knees.   How great you were able to see your granddaughter play basketball and get out.  Bet it felt good.  What about the granddaughter who shows steers - is she doing that this year? Hope your weather's getting better.  The Oklahoma and Texas Panhandles have really had it the last few days.

Betty, thanks for that information.  When I saw my doctor the same day I had my first vaccine I told them and they wrote it in my chart.  I think I mentioned my doctor had the virus in November and took his first dose of vaccine a week or so ago.  He said he was so sick and was not looking forward to his second one.

Sara - glad your sister got to visit J.  You know when Patsy was in the NH she lost so much weight.  I didn't see her the last year of her life but she said she was almost skin and bones and, like me, she was hefty before being in the NH. 

How are the seedlings coming along?  Do you also start tomato seeds?  Charles and I did on an east-facing screened-in porch, then transplanted them into the garden.  I remember one year we went on a trip for our anniversary (in April) and already had tomato plants in the garden with little tomatoes.  We had a hail storm while we were gone but it didn't damage the tomatoes.  I remember now - you said you had found some Delicious tomato seeds and were going to try them.  They're so big and so good - you'll love them.

Judith, I've never heard of mud cloth - I'll have to look at that.   Did Winda get her vaccine? 

I'll stop for now before I go on too long.  Still not sure about feeding today - my back's feeling better but lifting won't help it and because it's too muddy to feed out of the PU I'd have to handle those feed sacks twice.  Getting to be "mature" isn't always a lot of fun.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that our health department has Pfizer on the 30th. 

• Mint

Lorita steak was never on the menu when I was around my  dads uncle. He said he could eat anything, that’s all I know.  Never seen him turn anything down at grandmas. Was usually fried chicken or some type of pork at grandmas.   My grandparents were very poor. That great uncle was a character and very entertaining to me as a child.  Always liked when they came to Sunday dinner, which was most of the time.  He always killed the chicken for my grandma and I went with him.  Don’t have any idea how long he had been without teeth.

Looked up the mud pillows.  They are nice.

My seeds all germinated well.  They are all looking pretty good.  Won’t plant tomato seeds til mid April.

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Lorita, hope you’re feeling better this evening.  

Looked at mud cloth pillows.  Very pretty patterns and look sturdy.  I liked them.

Changed bed today and ran errands.  Will tackle bathrooms tomorrow.  By the time I get house cleaned, will be time to start all over again.  Lol. Loved having sliding door and windows open for awhile.  Smells so refreshing.  

Hope you’re all relaxed for the evening.  Home made chicken soup for dinner tonight.  

• Lorita

Hi,

Well, I did fed the girls.  About 2:30 they all came out front and started bawling. So, got out and fed them - it was cold but not too bad. 

Thanks, Joan, I'm feeling all right this afternoon.  Back stopped hurting and feeding didn't hut it so I'm good to go. 

'Must be the week for changing beds.  I don't like making a king-sized bed by myself - too many trips around it.  But, I'm always glad when it's done.  Glad you got some of your housework done.  Always  makes us feel better and having fresh air into the house is good, too.  Haven't gotten that far yet but it's supposed to be warmer so maybe this weekend.   You know I've never made chicken soup - I had cereal for supper - pretty good.

I also looked at the mud fabric and pillows.  Really pretty and intricate patterns on lots of them.  Bet they'd wear well.

Sara - I doubt my folks had much steak either - mostly like yours, pork and chicken.  I used to be with grandma when she'd kill a chicken, too.  She'd wring it neck and then it would flop around on the ground.  Looks like there would have been a better way for the chickens.  She was a little woman but must have been strong.  I felt sorry for the chickens.  We always gave the chicken's feet to the dogs.  Sandy, I know you don't like reading this - sorry.   Don't know that people would do things like that now.  We used to dress chickens for the freezer - don't remember how they lost their lives but do remember sitting in front of a tub of hot water and taking off the feathers and pin feathers. 

Haven't heard anything from Sarah today so don't know if they're back home or not.  I-40 can get pretty hairy when the weather's bad so they  may have stayed another day. 

Jack called - I think he's lonely.  He called to tell me he called the funeral home and they have buried Patsy's ashes.  I told him maybe that would make him feel a little better and he said "not really". 

When I fed the girls I drove out by the creepfeeder and that rod was down again and a bigger calf was inside and couldn't get out - so, had to take down the road for her to get out.  Seems like that's an every day job.   Haven't done anything since then except fill the water tanks.  Tomorrow if the metal one will go dry I'm going to empty it - the water looks rusty.  Guess I should get another rubber one or change places with the metal one and the rubber one in the lot - not sure how I'd move them though.

One more day until spring gets here and it sounds like it's going to be warmer except for a light freeze in the morning.  I did go to the mailbox - took Stormy with me  and noticed some of the Bradford pears are beginning to bloom. 

Have a good evening and night.

• Iris L.

Mud cloth is a textile made by traditional methods in Mali and Senegal in West Africa.  The different patterns have meanings.  Mud cloth is used in clothing and in decorative items.

Iris

• Mint

Good morning,  

Rained all day yesterday but not heavy.  The day before set up two grow bags so they should have got watered down nicely.  Going to try and set up one or two each day the weather is nice, til I get all my containers done.  Hope that will be easier on my muscles.

My friend has chickens.  The other day she asked me if I would like some chicken compost.  She uses straw, so should be nice.  Read up on it and it needs to be composted for a year before you use it so as not to burn your plants.  Gotta figure out how to do that. Going to ask her where she gets her straw too as would like a bale or two.

Well at 8am have my two weeks in and my immunity should be kicking in some now. Going to put on my mask and go have a normal shopping day.  On Wednesday the new case load was eight, the first time in a many a months where we had a single digit in middle of week.  Hospitalizations way down.  Many days there are no hospital admissions.  

The virologists, immunologists I  listen too are saying possibly we are starting to tip the other way.  They are not sure but starting to feel maybe,  as I have too.  There are starting to be some studies that are showing that our estimate of cases is quite a bit lower than reality.  So if that is true between that and vaccination we may be reaching the tipping point.  Time will tell, and I hope so.  No cases among nursing home residents this past week, has been good for about a month now.  Our schools have been open for a little over two months now and there are still some cases there but much less than back in December say.   They think a lot of younger people who were sick did not get tested because of not wanting to miss work etc.  Probably way more children and teens have had it than accounted for too.  Starting to hear Dr Griffin out of NYC talking about they are now seeing children who have long Covid.    Our states new cases this past week lowest since October. Maybe, just maybe we will be somewhat normal by fall, how wonderful that would be.  

Zetta, think today is when your friend gets her results.  Thinking of you guys and hope you get good news.

Anne in Mexico, hope you are ok.  We have not heard from you in awhile.

JoC how has Laurel been doing?

Hope everyone has a peaceful day.

• Lorita

Morning,

Sara - glad you posted early.  I always look for your early-morning posts - enjoy them so much.

Are those numbers for your whole state or your town?  Our news just said our state has had between 400 and 500 new cases. - still have almost 300 people hospitalized.  Has your state opened up bars and restaurants and what about the mask mandate - do you all have one?   Our state is opened up - not sure how much because I haven't been anywhere.  Jack did say about half the people in town were wearing masks when he was there the other day. 

So, you think things are beginning to tip the right way?  Dr. Fauci seems pretty worried about whether we'll have another surge like Europe's having.  He says we're about a month behind them so he's worried about this spring here.  Can not understand why they want to open up everything so soon - if they'd just wait another couple of months, then it would be better.  I guess I do understand - this has been so hard on small businesses but even if some of them open people could still be very careful - if they would be.

Right now how much is your immunity percentage?  It's been ten days since I had my first shot (goodness, time goes fast).  I guess I have some immunity - not sure how much.  I do so hope that our health department will have the Pfizer vaccine when it's time for my second shot.  Last week when I took mine they had Pfizer, this week they have Moderna so don't know if they alternate weeks or not. She told me they never know which kind they'll get.   I'd be willing to wait another week to get the Pfizer at our health department so guess we'll see.

It's a beautiful morning - sunny, fairly warm and not much wind.  Girls are already off grazing, Sheena has come in and Barclee's had his breakfast and medicine.  Stormy's still out patrolling.  I walked out to the water tanks and right now they don't need more water.  Maybe Mr. K will come today and set the braces.  I know it's really muddy over on the west side of the farm because it's a bit lower but he thinks he can make it - hope so.  Hopefully, Bryon will call today to say he's coming tomorrow to trim shrubs and cut sprouts.  Doesn't look like it'll be too long before he will need to mow some.

Glad I fed yesterday so don't have to do that today.  We'll see what the day brings - right now I'm having my CBJ/OJ and watching news and weather and visiting with my friends. 

Sara, do you use grow bags laying on the ground or do you use containers?  Many years ago when we lived in the MH we had chickens for a couple of years.  The chicken yard and house was fenced in west of our yard.  When we sold the chickens (lots of work with them and gathering, washing (if needed) and selling eggs, we used the chicken yard for a garden.  Talk about growing good vegetables.  Later, we enlarged it to be about twice as big - had a gate going into the other part.  We grew luffa on the fence and had some kind of feathery shrub about waist high that turned bright red in the fall.  The luffa blooms and leaves were gorgeous - big, bright yellow blooms and big leaves.  We could eat the luffa before they began to turn into luffa sponges - tasted a little like zucchini.  I remember we also had some kind of vine that had tiny, red flowers on it.  Seems like back then we had a lot of energy to do things and grow nice vegetables and flowers.  Charles loved to garden.  He loved peppers and we had two, long rows of all kinds of peppers.  I think he sold some to the restaurants in town.  I remember we had lots of eggplants and zucchini and I'd take them to work and give them away.

I'll stop for now and let Stormy in - guess everything's safe outside so he feels he can come in and go to sleep.

Enjoy the day.

8:50 - just read that 15 days after your first Pfizer vaccination you're 89-91% immune - but, you still need the second vaccination to bring it up to 95%.  I'm at ten days so probably have around 50+ percent immunity.  Still  not going to town until I need to and will wear my mask for sure.

• jfkoc
    Thanks Iris......I am quite taken with it.
  • Lorita
    It says the fabric is dyed with different colors of mud.  Interesting.
  • Mint

Those statistics are for our county.  Have only watched our county for a long time. The other was too overwhelming for me at a certain point.  Lorita I could be way wrong but that is just sort of a gut feeling I have.  It’s not going to just disappear, will take awhile.  Hopefully though it will stay low enough that they actually may be able to truly do contact tracing which will help.  Dr  Fauci is in a very public position and has to be very cautious about what he says.  Me I’m just talking with you guys and you won’t attack me too bad if my gut feeling is wrong.  My immunity is around 66%after two weeks they say.  Doesn’t change much over next two weeks.  Then it starts going up quite a bit.

Our restaurants and bars have remained open at half capacity since the first lock down was eased up.  The only thing they changed during the last surge was they had to close at 10pm. Think a couple of weeks ago or so they lifted that restriction.

Mask mandate is still in effect.  Governor says it will remain until there’s less than 50 new cases/100,000 people for a two week period.  Our county had 133 new cases per 100,000 people the past two weeks.  We peaked in December at 1375 new cases per 100000 people.  So you can see a huge drop but we have a little bit to go yet.  Not sure what the state is averaging as a whole.

Our restaurants have always seemed to have plenty of cars in their lots.  My nephew works at Olive Garden and he has worked the whole time.  They are very strict.  If someone is sick, even though their PCR test comes back negative they make them take off.  Just happened to my nephew.  

Went to six stores today.  Say there was at least 95% compliance with masks, even children.  If you remember told you we were one of the first counties to surge in Ohio.  Think there was enough death and destruction that the message got through to a lot of people.  Sad it took that and sadder yet some people still saying it isn’t real.  People are much better about distancing in general too.  Went to two thrift stores but didn’t find anything today.

My grow bags are just like a regular container.  This will be the third year for some of them and they still look good.

Very sunny today but a cold wind.

• jfkoc

Always something to learn on the porch. Why grow bags?

• Mint
    Grow bags are a heavy material of some sort.  The material provides for very good drainage so very hard to overwater.  They are made of a breathable fabric so helps regulate temperature when hot.  Get a lot better root system.  In a regular pot at some point the roots just start circling around the pot.  With the bag, someway when the roots reach the bag they sense the dry air and do something they call air pruning.  The circling around the container does not happen instead you get many fine roots which is healthier.
  • Lorita

Hi,

Sara, our County has had 1951 cases and 38 deaths from the virus.  Don't know how many active cases there are.

I've never seen that kind of grow bags.  The ones I've seen on TV are some kind of heavy plastic and are maybe 3 ft. long and filled with potting soil.  You make slits in the top and that's where you transplant.  Sara, the kind of you have sounds like they can be used several years - the ones I'm talking about are for a one-time use unless you'd be very careful.

Just made some mac and cheese from tiny shells and part of a package of cheese from the last time I made it.  Those big bags of cheese sauce make too much for the amount of shells they have so I use half of it when I make the boxed mac and cheese, then use tiny shells and make it again - two cups so that'll last a while.  I just had two small bowls of it while it was warm.

Somewhere, no idea where or when - probably a garage sale or thrift store, we bought a glass saucepan with a metal band around it.  It's been in the cabinet in the pantry and I use it from time to time.  I've always wondered what  kind it is.  I used it to  cook the shells.  Finally got around to looking it up and it's called Pyrex Flameware - ours is a 1 1/2 qt. saucepan - very heavy,  This kind was made in the 1950s - wonder how in the world it made it almost 70  years without being broken.  I wish I had a whole set of it.  The other day I was watching Andy Griffith's show and they had a coffeepot of the same kind. 

Sarah called - they're still in Amarillo but coming back to OKC early, early tomorrow.  His workers finally got to Amarillo.  She said they'd be in OKC for a couple of days, then back to Texas.  She's not sure she's going to go back.  I think she sounds better - probably did her some good to get out of the house and see something new.  She did say she didn't feel well yesterday but is better today.  The motel where they've been the last week is hosting some kind of convention and had a whole block, or all, of rooms reserved so they've having to move for one night. 

My SIL who had the stroke is going back to Dallas with one daughter to another daughter's house where they'll stay a couple of days, then on to Houston.  She had two holes in her heart - one nickel sized and the other dime sized.  They said she was born with them but they  never gave her any problems until the two strokes.  They repaired them and now think she won't stroke again.  She's doing well but still having some problems with her speech.  I've always been pretty close to her - kind of like a sister - she's 84 and has been going strong until the strokes.

I thought Mr. K would be here to set the braces but guess he figured it was too wet so will probably be next week sometime. 

I'm doing another load of laundry - hope that's all for a while. I don't seem to have very much - when I was caregiving I did one or two loads every day.  If Charles could be here I'd gladly do that again. 

Zetta - I'm watching Gunsmoke - again.  I usually watch one or two hours of the Waltons in the afternoon.  The first show yesterday was when the kids were all grown and all the adults were gone.  The next show was when all of the kids were very small.  I like those the best.  Last evening I turned it to some show I watch and Cheyenne was going off - you know Clint Walker.  I'll have to check and see when that's on again.

Hope all of you are enjoying the day.  It's beautiful here - sunny, fairly calm but still in the 50s so kind of cool.  The girls are all the way down in the NE pasture grazing so there's grass.  Amazing how things turned green almost overnight - glad of that.  Tomorrow's the first day of Spring - finally got here.

Poor little Barclee is driving me crazy today.  He hasn't slept any and has walked and walked and walked.  If I put him in the chair to sleep, he barks and barks.  It would probably be better for him but I just can't let him go to sleep.  Maybe his days are numbered like ours are. 

Back later.   Judith, where did you first learn about mud fabric and pillows?

• SQBEAR50
    SQBEAR50 Member Posts: 104
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Happy Friday,

Back from a mini vacation with the hubby. Had a wonderful time! Much needed. 

Of course my uncle didn't like having "babysitters" and he refused to come out of his room for the 1st 24hrs but he got over it. He had no choice.

Back to caregiving.

Nicole

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

Pretty warm at my house today but the wind is blowing pretty hard. First day of Spring tomorrow and we could be getting some snow. But the way the weather is around here we could have snow and warm sun in the same day. 

I have totally recovered from my tooth being pulled no pain at anytime. My Dentist is so sweet she has a cute accent she is from New Zeeland. 

Lorita,   I remember those glass pans with the metal bands around them my Grandmother had those.  Mac & Cheese sounds good I like mac & cheese. I buy the kind in the box with the cheese in a foil pkg I used to make it from scratch but the kind I get in the box I like better. I just had a Sloppy Jo, it was so good and I have some left for dinner.   Sorry that Barclee worries you so much but I totally understand. Does he bark even if your in the chair holding him. I bought Molly a antler yesterday and she is taking it every place she goes and Rascal can't get 2 feet from her with out her growling it is a very low growl but he hears it. The vet said she has good teeth and for a little dog that is good, but its a good idea to make sure she has something to chew on to keep her teeth clean. 

I am also watching Gunsmoke.  I watch Bonanza then Gunsmoke is on from  12-4. I have seen most of them so I really don't pay a lot of attention. The one's I see are all in color so you must be seeing some of the older ones, in Black & white. 

Sara,  Thank You for remembering my friend. She will be seeing her Dr for the results sometime late this afternoon. She said she will call me as soon as she gets done. 

Nicole,   I am glad you enjoyed your time with your hubby. I am sure you needed the rest and some special time. You deserve it. I chuckled when you said your uncle stayed in his room for 24 hrs. They are so much like babies. I am sure he misses you when your not there. 

The wind is blowing so hard all my wind chimes are going crazy and at times I hear the wind blowing. I like that. Hugs Zetta 

• Lorita

Hi,

Zetta, I love wind chimes but they don't last a long time on our porch.  However, that said, I will admit the ones I have now have lasted - I don't hear them often so because they're so close to the holly maybe that knocks the wind off.  I used to have some I found at WM that had the most beautiful sound - wind got them.

I get old Gunsmokes on one station and newer ones on the other, sometimes it switches around. 

Barclee is finally asleep.  I found him once today under the long table by my chair completely wound up in an electric cord.  He had both feet in it and it was twisted and twisted - had a hard time getting him out of it.  I couldn't find him one time today and he was in the bedroom way over by the closet.  I don't usually sit in the same chair as he does because he likes to lay across the back of the seat.  Right now he's on one side but I'm sitting in the recliner.

It's been a beautiful day here - fairly warm and so sunny with not much wind.  Mr. K and his son came about 3 with their big PU and a huge trailer behind with his tractor on it.  They got the braces put in so guess they fence next week.  I didn't talk with him - just waved as he went by.  I did call our neighbor to tell him what was going on - the new fence will be part of his yard fence so wanted him to know.

Stormy and I drove down behind the barn to see the girls - first time we've done that in quite some time.  Some of them are coming up now but are going straight to the south pasture.  I don't think they'll need any more hay after what they have. 

Glad your tooth is okay - I didn't know you had it extracted but glad it went well. 

You know I love macaroni and cheese but I have never made it from scratch.  I like Kraft dinner or the store brand (can't tell the difference) but lately I've ordered the kind with tiny shells and the cheese in the foil packet.  I like that either with green beans or English peas.

Antlers - I've never seen them for sale in our stores.  Does Molly just chew on it?  I give our GPs milk bones and last week I checked their teeth and there wasn't any plaque so they  must be doing the job for them.  I see those big bones - not really bones I don't think - plastic looking but I wouldn't give those to them at all.  I've heard they can choke on them.

Last night I thought about a suit I used to have - ordered it from Blair years ago and was made from LeChute material which I dearly love.  So, this afternoon I looked for it and found it way back in the closet.  It still fits but is a little snugger than I like.  I've been drinking a bottle of Pepsi each day so I'm going to cut that back to half or a third of a bottle and get rid of some of what I don't want.  But, that said, I've also been eating crumb cakes I ordered from Jimmie the Baker at QVC.  They are soooo good.  I just called to see if they were available on auto ship - they weren't.

Last Train From Gun Hill with Kirk Douglas is coming on so I'll stop and see if I've seen it - made in 1959 so probably have.  I think I've seen it from the first two minutes of it so I'll find something else - hopefully.

Nicole - good to see your post and that you had a good vacation with your husband.  Always good to get away for a while and do something different.  I bet your uncle was glad to see you.  Sounds like he was a bit resistant about the babysitters.  Is he still going to a NH fairly soon?

I forgot - today I was going to put a board under my side of the mattress.  Every morning when I get up I have a backache so I think that would help - maybe tomorrow I can remember. 

Sarah - can't believe you went to six different stores - I bet that felt so good to be out and about and not be so worried.  Sounds like things are going well there - we'd never be made or upset with anything you said or thought.  They really do seem worried about the UK variant though - I heard they believe it's 65% more deadly.

Enjoy the evening.

• Iris L.

Thanks for these references, Judith.  It's nice to know more about elegant mud cloth!  

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

I do like macaroni and cheese.  Do not make it very often though.  Usually just melt some velveeta and milk to stir into macaroni.

Went to six stores but only tarried in the two thrift stores.  Had on my mask, none of the stores were crowded.  For the most part was by myself.  If I did have contact very momentary.

Think  I will get a Reuben today.  Have not had one in a long time.

• Lorita

HAPPY SPRING!!!

We made it.  Looks like it's going to be a six star day here - already fairly warm and sunny and no wind.  Can't beat that.  Girls were off grazing when I got up so grass must be growing.

Just finished breakfast - Malt-o-Meal and a piece of toast and hot tea.  Already had my juice so I'm good to go for a while.   Sarah called about an hour and half ago.  They got home about 4 this morning.  Todd's partner's daughter was supposed to come over to the house and take care of the cat and bird two or three times while they were gone but Sarah said the bird was out of water and feed and so was the cat and the litter box was full so sounds like she didn't do a very good job.  She's not a young kid - grown with a baby of her own.  Sarah said she was glad to be home.  She didn't like the drive but seemed to enjoy the trip.  It isn't a very pleasant trip - from here it's a good eight hours so about five from there and it's boring.  We made the trip to someone's wedding once when I wasn't feeling good - not a good drive.

Barclee slept about half the day yesterday so last night he had a hard time going to sleep, then woke up about 2 and after I took him to the bathroom,  he turned around and around in his bed and barked.  Finally put him in the bathroom - it's warm in there and I went back to sleep for an hour or so.  Got him back in bed and he slept a little while.  He's had breakfast and his medicine and is laying in the chair barking every ten seconds.  Maybe he'll go to sleep.  I don't know why he barks - just one bark, a pause and another bark.  I'm sure he has dementia so guess I'm a caregiver again.

Nothing on tap for today except the usual.  I read some about the Instant Pot yesterday and it's now in the kitchen!   Need to read the "Getting Started" book and figure out the buttons. 

Sara - sounds like you enjoyed your day out yesterday.  We don't have any thrift shops in our town and I don't know of any in Muskogee - but there may be.  Tulsa has several good ones but won't be going there.  We used to love to stop by garage sales and found lots of nice things that people were tired of.  Do you like garage sales?

Stormy and Sheena stayed outside last night but are back in the bedroom asleep now - guess they've earned it.  Finally got everything off the front porch except one container of cat litter.  I'm hoping Bryon and Shane will have time before long to paint the porches and steps.  Guess I can do it - have done it before.  The boards on the porch have about a quarter inch space between the boards and dirt has gotten in those spaces over the winter so that will have to be cleared out before painting and the whole porches will have to be washed and dried first.  Don't know how we'll keep the GPs off the back porch - no gate there.  Guess it really doesn't matter much.

Didn't have a very good day yesterday - just too many memories.  Sometimes they just kind of stack up and overflow.  That happens from time to time - today will be better.

Wonder what happened to Liz.

Hope all of you are well this morning and are having good weather.

• Mint

Lorita hope you are feeling mentally better today.  I have one of those days now and then. 

Lorita feel like most garage sales here are junk sales.  Go to one now and then but not often.  Prefer an estate sale.

Went and got my Reuben.  Was able to eat on porch.  The Reuben was good but greasy.  Like my own fries better and they were very greasy.  Hope all that grease doesn’t make my belly hurt.  It does some times.  My first trip there and probably my last trip there.

Has anyone ever had Arby’s Reuben?  

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Sayra— you asked about my Reuben sauce recipe. I am happy to share, but be forewarned I do not measure when I make this. I taste and adjust as I go. And, I like spicy—not hot, but big flavor.  I put some measures here, but more for a sense of “proportion,” if that makes sense. They are just guesstimates.

Start with a cup of Mayo (not a sweet one). 

Add maybe a spoonful of ketchup, making it light pink.

Add 2 tablespoons of red chili-garlic sauce (it’s not really hot, just big flavor. If you don’t have that sauce, I think some chili powder and garlic powder would work, with more acid from vinegar or lemon).

Add some pickle relish (I chop dills very fine) and some of the pickle juice.

Add hot sauce to taste (I use a Korean hot sauce called goocojang, but any hot sauce if I’m out of that)

Squeezes from half a lemon.

A few drops of fish sauce (not a must, you don’t taste it, it just adds some depth IMO).

At this point it should be a dark pink color. And this sauce has a zillion variations, it’s easy to substitute or adjust.

That is more than needed for a sandwich, but it works on beef, too. I usually make a Reuben casserole—same contents, just build it in a casserole dish and no bread needed, maybe some crumbs on the top with cheese.

Now I’m hungry! I know it’s been a while since you asked, sorry for delay, I have not been online much.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    The mud cloth items are stunning! I have some very old quilts made by long-gone family, with cloth they dyed from the red mud around there. But that was just a solid color, of various shades of red-orange. Hard to think they actually used it for dye, OTOH,  I would get in big trouble as a kid if I got any on my clothes, the stain was permanent. The African textiles are way more complex, never would have thought of the relationship.
  • jfkoc

It is just under 4 hours from my house to the east edge of Amarillo. Boring? I would agree but Dick loved it. He also loved West Texas. Well, he loved Texas. He first married the daughter of the construction manager for the King ranch and became the ranch pilot. He had some interesting stories of that period of his life.

I have had the Arby's Rueben....not very good.

Grow bags...do you use them for the same plant all sseason or just for starting plants. I have always used good 'ol terra cotta. I must admit I love the corten steel ones but they sound like the pants would burn up.

My neighbor across the street has a leaf blower which she uses almost every day to blow off invisable stuff on her driveway. After years of chuckling I a thinking of getting one myself but not for my driveway. I would like to take off the loose layers from around my plants. The rest I want to decompose.

I am glad some of you found the mud cloth interesting. I discover Kente cloth when learning about the mud cloth. Here is something on that fabric;

https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/a33670853/what-is-kente-cloth/

• Lorita

Hi,

Judith, I think people who live in the Texas Panhandle or West Texas do love it.  I have relatives out there (Charles' folks) but years ago some of my cousins lived in West Texas and absolutely loved it.  I prefer trees and grass.  Funny story - Charles' brother lives in the Panhandle and several years ago we went out to visit.   He had a small front yard and he had grass in it and he was so proud of it.  You know it's not going to be long before the grass here needs to be mowed - just happened overnight.  I have wild violets blooming - those are in the ground - so far the ones in the big pot haven't started - hope the freeze didn't get them.

We have a new baby!!!  First one of the spring for us. I went to the mailbox and the girls were in the pasture so tried to count them as I came back to the house.  Couldn't see everyone so got Stormy in the Gator and we drove down.  A cow was down with several around her, most of the little calves because they were curious.  Baby's head was out and the sac was still over it so I hurried back to the house, left stormy and got the OB chains.  When I got back there had been progression.  In a minute or so, baby was born so I broke the sac over her head and cleared her mouth and nose.  You known that little girl was trying to get up in five minutes and was up and trying to nurse in 20 minutes.

I know the men think I'm nuts but I like to get the new moms and babies in the lot for a week or so.  It's really muddy down there with lots of water so I knew I couldn't get the calf in the Gator and get through the water and get the mom to follow.  Tried pushing her but that didn't work.  So - called Darwin.  His wife was asleep so he was here in his Mule in ten minutes.  We drove down in the Gator and he picked up the calf and got in the Gator.  We had a hard time getting the mom to follow us but she finally did.  I had opened gates to the lot so I drove in and we got baby and mom in the barn.  I just went out and gave her some feed and hay and baby was nursing.  I always feel better when I see them nurse.  Good thing I decided to go down.  The little calves were all around the cow and new baby - so curious.

Had a nice but short visit with Darwin.  He's still feeding and will for another ten days or so.  He sold all his bigger calves so all he has left are cows and little calves.  He said this winter just took it out of him.  It was so hard for everyone.

I asked him if he had a lawyer draw up papers for the lease and cattle sale.  He didn't but said he thought Mike's wife was going to do it.  They're not going to move so I was happy to hear that.  I again told him that I'd be happy to be with his wife anytime he needed to go anywhere or needed to be with the cattle.  I'm going to make an effort to call her more often.  He said it makes her so happy when I call - no one else does and she won't call anyone - says she doesn't know how.  It's awful what this disease does to the person with it and to the family.  He said he started out trying to correct what she was saying (imagining) but has changed to redirecting or agreeing after he had a talk with Mike who told him what I'd told him about caring for Charles.

Anyway, that was my late afternoon.  Think I'll watch a funny western "Support Your Local Sheriff".  Just saw part of a Gunsmoke, Zetta.

So, I'll need to check the girls morning and night and during the day when I can see them. Always stressful.

Enjoy the evening.

For anyone who hasn't had their vaccination - I just heard on the news that you can ask Sirie where you can get a vaccine and she'll tell you.  I tried it with Alexa and it works with her, too.  Darwin and his wife have had both their Moderna vaccines but I wore a mask because I've only had one.  

• Mint

Good morning,

Thanks for the recipe rescue mom.

Judith start a lot of my seeds in very small grow bags.  You plant bag and all into ground.  Once in ground, roots no longer air prune.  They grow out through the bag.  The grow bags you plant in come in many sizes from  one gallon to many gallons.  Like terra cotta too.  Have one or two of them.  

Lorita hope that new baby is doing good this morning.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more