Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (163)

1235»

Comments

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments

Hi all,  it’s been a windy cold day here and we still have a wind advisory until 1 am.  Yesterday we got a little over 8 inches of snow with a topping of freezing rain.  It’s very crusty.  Our home is in the middle of 17 acres with a very steep driveway that’s 1/4 mile long.  My son brought his very big snowblower with from Illinois so he started clearing the paved par area near the house.  Our neighbor uses our driveway to access one of the gates to his pasture so he came with a large tractor with a blade and we now have access to the road.  Fortunately we didn’t loose power but we do have a generator.  Hope it works but also hope we don’t need to use it.

Nothing else happening here, went for my blood test Friday.  Wanted to beat the storm.  Unfortunately so did everyone else, waited 45 minutes for my turn.  I haven’t driven since I got here, not use to a large suv or these winding steep mountain roads.  My leg is still sore but improving, just limping a little.

Ok, that’s it for now.  Everyone have a good night and stay safe.

Sandy

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Beth, Ollie is a sweet boy!  I never saw a mimimicro cow before.

I love people who love animals!

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

24F, -4C.  

Lorita I don’t use oleo so not sure you could substitute it for the butter, but guessing you can.

Sandy dislike ice, but don’t mind driving on snow here.  Those steep winding roads would be a way different story though.  

Not sure how much snow we got.  Very windy so hard to tell.  Snow blowed my driveway.  The lady who was suppose to do mom’s, her truck wasn’t running.  So I had to shovel.  Took me two hours.  Every little bit she would come out and holler at me that’s enough, don’t know who she thought would finish it.  Precedes  to tell me she is going to help the lady get her truck fixed.  I said no mom, as if that would deter her.  She said I’m not going to buy one just help her get it fixed.  Guess I will find out what type of lady she is.  She may become the snow truck lady (STL).  Think I can get her phone number and last name from a neighbor if this happens.  Then she will have to have her name added at the bank.Hope she does the right thing and I don’t have to do this.  Hate playing detective, so not me.  

Take care everyone

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,314
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning,

Cool here this morning with some wind and clouds.  Tomorrow the bottom drops out again.

Watching Denim & Co. - so far haven't ordered anything and it's about over. Really enjoy wearing their clothing.  Did you all know today is National Squirrel Day?  Just said  a squirrel can live for 24 years.  Haven't seen ours in a day or so - and Tom and Jerry still aren't here. I mentioned this because the host and designer each have a stuffed squirrel and have so much fun with them.

Today was feed day - so girls got to eat some feed and now they're grazing - I saw Evan.  He still hasn't made friends with Tina or Sweet Pea yet - but he will.  Did I miss something - did that call that calf a minimicro cow in that video?

Daniel called earlier - said they were getting supplies.  Asked if they were going to be able to get the rock back on today - he said they'd get the siding replaced.  It's going to be super cold tomorrow so they may be able to finish the bedroom.  Seems like everything takes so long.  I waited so long to get this done and now it's still taking a long time.  Guess I need to be more patient. I know it's said that remodeling or repairing always takes one and a half times longer than they predict.

Sandy, glad the man got your drive way fixed so you can get out if you need to.  Better to have some ice on the snow than under it.  Maybe you won't get more but spring is still a couple of months away. I'm glad your leg is better - just be very careful when you get up and walk - no running and playing in the snow and making snowmen.

Sara - in that tea cake recipe I'm sure grandma used lard when she made them because that's what we used so the flavor might be a bit different. 

Sara, your mother sounds like a very generous person - to a fault.  Guess the dementia has made her decision-making not so good.  She's lucky to have you as a daughter to try to curtail things that aren't appropriate. 

Zetta - are you rested up from your visit and trip  yet?  I hope you've been able to sleep well and even take a nap or two during the day.  Gunsmoke just came on - it's the one where Doc Adams decided to stay back east to polish up on his doctoring.

Glad I got the soup and macaroni and cheese made yesterday - not in the mood to cook today - just don't feel up to par.  I took a Loratadine - seems like it might be my sinuses because my checks hurt a little underneath my eyes - forgot which sinuses they are.  I used to have sinusitis pretty often - I'd wake up with them hurting and if I wet a washcloth with really hot water and held it to my face until it cooled, they felt better.  Guess I should do that now. 

Stormy and Sheena went outside about MN - back in now, asleep.  It was so funny late yesterday - he wanted to be sleeping on the divan so much that he shared it with two cats - never happened before.   Did I tell you all that Daniel said someone in Morris, Okla. has some black Pyrenees?  Had no idea there was such a thing - but I like the big, white ones.  I need to trim Sheena's toenails but would have to get down on the floor and don't want to do that today.  If I can find a warmer day with no people around maybe I can get her to lay down on the porch and I can sit on the steps and get it done. 

Hope everyone is well this morning.  Enjoy the day.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ollie the calf is a micro mini highland cross calf. He's now 8 months old, born in May. That's all I know about him. Just thought the video was adorable! I love how he snuggles up to his "dad." I don't know how big he is going to get, and if he still gets to run inside the house. I know he has a Tik Tok page and Facebook page.

41 degrees today, really nice, for January in Iowa. The snow is slushy but we got 7.5" so it won't be gone anytime soon - it's going to get very cold overnight.

I made my gluten free cinnamon rolls. They are wonderful! It made 10 and I froze half of them. One would make a nice breakfast with a cup of coffee. If interested in the recipe, google "gluten free cinnamon rolls like cinnabon." Mmmmm, delightful!

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

Lorita, Has Sally been out lately, or did Mike get the fence fixed?  I think she was coming to you for some extra feed and some TLC.  It does sound like they are starting to get used to things. Too bad they don't understand why.  Please continue to share your memories we are here for you and for each other. I hope your throat is feeling better just wrap yourself up and stay warm. It is good you called about the V8 and tomato's and was told not to use them. I never realized things in cans could spoil. Dan loved soup so I had many cans of Campbell's soups and one day I saw the dates on them, and I threw a lot of them away. 

I am also watching Gunsmoke and the same one you watched today I was watching, looks like we are both seeing the same ones. Just think in a few weeks you will have everything done then you can just sit back and rest. 

Katie.  I hope your daughter is feeling better now. How did your big storm turn out? You really need to get your fireplace fixed just in case your electricity goes out. The only heat back up I would have is the wood stove my son has out back in his cabin. Hopefully he would be home I do not know how to do a wood stove. 

Marie.  I know what you mean if it's not one thing it's another. I hope you got you garbage disposal fixed. My son is pretty handy when things stop working, I am so thankful for that. 

Sara.  You be careful shoveling snow, bundle up really good so you don't get frostbitten. I saw something on TV and it said it don't take long to get frostbitten. You are so good for your mom she is very lucky to have you so close. Thanks for the Tea Cake recipe I really want to try it. Pease let us know when they will be on the front porch, I am looking forward to trying one. 

Joan.   Molly and Sammy acted like they had not been gone for 2 months they went right back to their favorite places to sleep and their toys. Sammy did miss the other cats he spent a few days walking around meowing just like he was looking for them. He spent the first 2 months of his life with them I think they remembered each other. 

Beth.  I am glad there are mini cows I was starting to worry about what was going to happen when he got too big for all the fun. I had a baby lamb one time it grew up with my dogs and came in the house he knew how to follow the dogs and they knew how to open the door. I had to find another home for Rambo I could not keep he out of the house. 

My daughter and SIL are getting settled in their new home in Maricopa, Arz. They are doing their best without furniture the moving truck is a week out. I miss her a lot, but I will be going there for a week in March, and she is only a phone call away. 

Take care all, Hugs Zetta 

• Lorita

Hi,

Zetta, Sally has been out twice since Mike fixed the place he thought she was getting out.  I can't figure out where it might be but so far she comes up to the house and waits for me to let her back in the pasture - her baby's always ready for breakfast.

I'm using Edge right now and it's underlining some words - and close to the top of the page it says "enter your search here". I need to answer the phone when tech club calls so they can figure it out and do something for my tablet.  I start to read and it goes back to the sign in part.  Alway something.

I've never made cinnamon rolls - wondering if you use the same dough as you use for bread - Sara, you'll know that for sure.

Daniel didn't make it back today.  He called a while ago and said he had a family emergency and the boys' truck had a flat.  Said he'd be here bright and early in the morning to work on the rock and inside, too.  Jo - I don't think he's working on another project but who knows.  I may ask him.

Had a call from the wife of one of my cousins.  I have two in one family and a couple more.  The sister of my closest cousin, is 90, same age as my sister - guess she'll be 91 next month.  She's been in a nursing home for a while and this morning she aspirated and they think they're about to lose her.  Another cousin is 92 and has alz - his wife is 90 and she's been caring for him but had to put him on hospice.  J.W. is four months younger than I and not in good health at all.  So, even that side of my family is getting smaller or will soon.  I guess that does happen as we all get older.

It's been a pretty day - did you all see the full moon last night - Wolf Moon?  It was beautiful.  Hard to believe, isn't it, that someone has actually been on the moon.

Zetta, do you get Rawhide?  It's on two hours each day - some I've seen and some not.  Looks like we watched a lot of westerns in the past.

I wasn't feeling too well today so went out on the porch and saw what I thought was a cow laying down flat in the pasture.  Always scares the heck out of me.  So, got in the Gator and drove over - it was a heifer just laying down to sleep a bit.  So, I stayed out with all of them quite a while until I got a good number.  I think they thought I was going to feed them again so they all gathered around - even Mickey.  Felt so much better when I came back in so I'm going to do that every day.  I've filled water tanks today and may have to cut the ice on them Thursday morning - WC is supposed to be about 5.

Sara - please be careful shoveling that snow.  They say lots of people die from doing that.  It's usually light weight and seems easy but guess it isn't.  

Didn't hear from Carol today so didn't bother her.  She needs rest and less company.  One daughter went home yesterday but another was coming to stay.  I know she appreciates them being there and just doesn't have the heart to tell them to go home. The hospital personnel may appreciate them being there to do little things for Carol that they'd need to do.  

I haven't watched any of the news about the virus today but from what I heard yesterday it seems to be getting more widespread and still people are talking about traveling and being out among people.  If everyone that could, would stay home for a couple of weeks, this would get better.

I'd like to watch a good movie but hardly ever see one worth watching. Same with the new shows that will be coming on soon - most of them seem to be silly sitcoms.  I like sitcoms but these seem awfully silly.

Called my CPA today to ask him to send some 1099s - I completely forgot about doing them last year - think I'll only have a couple to do this year.  I want to try to get my taxes in earlier this year.  I say that every year but fail to get it done

Forgot to mention Geri (cousin's wife) told me either their daughter or her husband has covid and she was making some soup to take to them.

Zetta - if the best by date on anything that ha tomatoes or peppers in it is past that date I'm afraid to eat it.  I know they say canned goods last way beyond that date but if I made something with it and I didn't feel good afterwards I'd blame it on the food.

Hope you all enjoy the evening and are well.  Sandy - any wild turkeys or deer yet?

• Lorita

Hi again  - just a note to tell you all that Carol called a while ago.  Said she called early this morning but somehow I missed the call.   She says the hospital is overly full and staff is scarce - people are having to cover for others in different departments or services to take care of patients.

She was sitting on the side of her bed - had just finished supper but was having to wait for someone to come and help her lay down.  She's still tired but sounds better.  She wanted me to be sure to thank you all again for your continued concern for her and the prayers you're sending.

She drinks purple Gatorade or G-2 - had a good supply at home but it's almost gone and her husband  has been trying to find some.  Said he went to six different stores and couldn't find any.  Amazon has it but it won't be delivered until the 25th - the day she goes home.  Her daughters have told her the store shelves are as empty now as they were during the first surge two or more years ago.  Are people hoarding or wonder what's going on - just the supply chain.  I told her our grocery store was fully stocked last week but it may not be now.  I did hear smaller stores are better stocked than the bigger ones.

The daughter who has been staying with her is concerned because her grandkids have been around her with what might be colds.  She said everyone is having to wear a mask who is in the hospital - even in her room when her husband and daughter were there.

She was concerned about me and wanted to know if I was okay.  That's Carol - always thinking about someone else. I'm 11 days out from being around Daniel's sons and six days out from the girl at the store. 

Okay - a while ago I heard a cow bawl - guess who!  Looked out with my flashlight and saw two bright eyes.  It was Sally calling me to let her through the gate.  I opened it, she looked at me and went through - then, I heard her baby calling her from up where the hay is.   If I call Mike and tell him she's still getting out, he'll think I'm that crazy, old woman with nothing more to do than this.  Tomorrow, if it's not too cold, I'll check the fence again.  I've considered she might be getting out of the south pasture but if so she'd have to go to the west end of it and go through an open gate between the meadows and then come all the way back.  I'm sure it's somewhere between the barn and the county line.

I'm using Edge again and I'm making more mistakes - I know I have trouble with adding letters because of my finger that won't bend and hits keys when it's not supposed to - or maybe it's something else. I do not like change!! but WM or Chewy do not support Internet Explorer so use my tablet to order from them.  

Having a cup of mocha cappaccino with oreo cookies -not good for me, but good.

Sleep tight and don't let the BBB.  See you tomorrow.

• Mint

Good morning

34F, 1C.  Very windy.

Thinking maybe the snow plow lady is not going to take mom’s money.  Of course she is trying to think of other ways to spend it.  

Lorita I have never made cinnamon rolls.  Guess I’ve always thought it was too complicated.

BIL was much better yesterday my sister said.  Believe he was sick about seven days.  Sinus congestion and stomach pain.  Fever first day.  Anyway it was a fairly mild illness.  Guess his J&J got a boost.

Feel no effects so far from shoveling other than my muscles.  No chest pain of any sort and no shortness of breath at all.  I try to be very aware what is going on with my body when shoveling.    Made me hungry, ordered pick up from Olive Garden.  

Well it’s grocery shopping day.  Take care everyone

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Cant sleep this morning! I've been having some bad days and just haven't felt like visiting the front porch lately. Got Lou in bed at 8:30, myself at 9. I was up at 10:30 for bathroom trip, tossed and turned with in and out sleep and finally 2 couldn't go back to sleep at all.

Sister has been here a couple of days, going home today and coming back Sunday since she has some appointments in town next week. It's nice to have her here to talk to!

Went to the VA yesterday morning for holter monitor; it's a my zio and I wear it for 14 days. I remember 40 years ago I had a 24 hour monitor with a lot of wires and a box I pressed a button when I had a event. This one is a small patch taped to the chest with two probes, you press a button in the middle of it when you have a event and record it in a book. They do have a app that you can download and record on, which I did, and it is so much easier than the book. Hopefully they will find out what's going on with me and I'll start feeling like my old self.

I do keep up with my front porch friends and hopefully will be back in my designated rocking chair before long to share daily events and cooking hints. Every one of you are always in my prayers!

Ron

• Iris L.

Hello everyone!  I spent yesterday on a day trip with my travel club to three areas in LA, Chinatown, Little Tokyo and Koreatown.  We learned a lot about the histories of the Chinese, the Japanese and the Koreans in America--very interesting!  We ate a shabu-shabu lunch, something that was new for me.  We cook our own food on a hot plate set into the table in front of each diner.  A bowl of miso soup broth is heated to boiling.  Then, very thinly sliced wagyu beef and chicken is cooked quickly in the hot broth, along with whatever vegetables you have selected.  It's an interesting way to eat and I can recommend it at least once for an evening out at an Asian restaurant. 

I found my vaccination card.  It was still with the papers from my Death Valley trip in the small suitcase.  I was tired when I returned and never fully emptied my suitcase.  I love traveling but it can be disorienting to me.

Iris 

• Lorita

Morning,

Had to wait quite a while to even get to this point - maybe I'm just in a hurry.

Sara - glad your BIL is doing better and hope his recovery continues.  It's good that you think the SPL isn't going to take your mother's money.  Be very careful when shoveling if you have to do more today. 

Let us know what you see in your grocery store as far as being stocked.  I meant to call Jack late yesterday to see what he found when he went to town but figured it was too late.  May get it done today.

Ron, nice that your sister has been with you all for a while and that you've enjoyed her visit.  I occasionally have a night when I have trouble sleeping - not often - and I hate it when it does happen.  I have found that the show "Frasier" is on in the middle of the night so if I'm awake I watch that.

Have you had any more episodes like you had before?  If you have, hopefully the monitor picked it up and they'll decide what's going on with you. 

It's fairly warm this morning - mid to upper 30s and 40s, even 50s farther south but the front is just now coming into northern Oklahoma.  Right now I feel like I have on too many clothes but probably will feel okay later.  I'll go out and check to see if Tom and Jerry are there.  I'm leaving some dry food in case they come back during the day - probably feeding that opossum.  But,he's used to feed being there so that's okay.  He has to eat, too.  Wonder what they do eat?  Never thought about that.   I want to get out and see the girls this morning - this isn't feed day so I imagine they're up by the hay - not too far away.

I hope Daniel and his crew do get here early enough to get a lot of the rock work done before it gets too cold.  We may have a little bit of drizzle and freezing rain for a couple of hours this afternoon.  I'm ready to get back into the bedroom to sleep.  I think they need to replace some sheetrock and fix an outlet, lay the flooring and do a little bit of painting.

Iris, sounds like you had a good trip to the different oriental parts of your town.  I love Chinese food but haven't had any in quite a long time.  When Charles and I would go to Tulsa we always ate at a really nice Chinese Restaurant - they're always decorated so pretty.  I had never eaten that kind of food until we got married.  He was in Korea and Japan all during the Korean War so he was used to it and loved it.  Didn't take but a couple of towns for me to like it, too.  We used to cook it a lot at home - still have that wok somewhere. 

Sara - I've never made cinnamon rolls either.  I don't think it would be too hard - guess I could make the dough in the bread maker.  I do love homemade cinnamon roils though.  The wife of one of our social workers would make them occasionally and he'd bring them to work for us.  They were so good.  But, as long as I get into town occasionally and they have the Lone Star ones I probably won't make them.

It's almost light enough outside to check on the boys and may drive up to see the girls.  Hope everyone's okay this morning and that you can enjoy the day.  I'll be back later today.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    39 degrees F = should I put my shorts on?

Lorita, I missed Denim & Co but I have QVC on now and it's a gold and silver show.  I am going to date myself but I had a BUNCH of QVC jewelry from late 80s and early 90s and I am about to faint at the gold pricing.  Most well over $1000.  Like most everything else, that jewelry went out of fashion and I actually sold it years ago when gold pricing really went up.  I still have a jewelry box full of silver that I still wear but I don't wear half the jewelry I used to.  I actually stopped buying a lot of "real" jewelry after I worked at Charming Charlie part time for a couple of years and saw how well they did costume jewelry.  I am not buying a 14K gold paper clip necklace!  I need to go through my jewelry box and see what I still have one day.

Right now I'm working an afternoon shift, 1 pm - 9:30 pm and yesterday they asked if I would be interested in going back on days.  YES.  So my hours and days are going to change and probably going to be pretty early hours, which I don't mind at all.  I will miss my nighttime calls because those are kind of crazy and interesting, people getting kicked out of the hotel for various reasons and just plain odd people, and people calling early morning and during the day tend to be elite members or business people so the tone of the calls changes.

I'm glad to hear Carol is feeling less tired.  I'll keep her in my prayers for a quick recovery more back to normal!
  • Lorita

Hi Day,

If you get QVC2, the repeat of the two hour Denim & Co. show is on.  Seems like they repeat the shows so much but guess it gives us a second chance on ordering if we didn't get the item number the first time around.

Remind me of the kind of work you do - I think I'd like daytime hours better, too.  I've never worked anything but days so guess I don't know.

I don't wear nearly as much jewelry as I used to either - just a tiny, silver, puffed heart necklace, diamonique earrings and my emerald and diamond ring - sometimes another on the other hand.  I have arthritis in my hands and only two of my rings fit anymore.  First had it in my ring finger on my left hand - couldn't wear any rings but as the arthritis got in it enough the size went down so I can wear one - now it's getting into my ring finger on my right hand - same thing.  I only have one or two rings that fit that finger now..

It is turning cold here and the north wind is very strong.  I did go down to the mailbox to get Saturday's and Tuesday's mail.  Topped off one water tank and filled the other one.  The girls are on the south side of the house where the liquid feed, hay and water is so they're pretty much out of the wind.  I doubt that Daniel comes today - missed two good working days and now it's very windy and cold.  They could finish the bedroom so we'll see.

I'm having my hot tea now and finished my pumpkin-spice muffins. Ii feel like I would really like to have another peach cobbler but need to finish that wacky cake first.  Glad I have soup made.  I happened to think this morning that I could add a can of tomato soup to it - that might make it a bit sweeter but that would be okay.  It's okay like it is - just kind of pale looking.

Slept good last night - went to sleep watching TV, then at MN woke up and the GPs wanted out.  Woke up before daylight but didn't get up until about 7.  The GPs are having a lot of fun playing  this morning.  Neither Tom nor Jerry were at the carport this morning.  I really hate that they're gone - can't imagine what happened.  I did see two coyotes going back to their den this morning - going right through the cattle - they just watched them as they went by.

Back later.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Dear Lorita,

I know you miss and worry about Tom and Jerry.

Since there is no evidence to the contrary, I will imagine they met up with two nice female kitties and the four of them hitched a ride south to warmer weather.

• Lorita

Thanks, Marie, that's what I'll think has happened to the boys. Seems lonesome out where they stayed.

Daniel and his workers got the old, rotted wood off, new wood ono and covered with tar paper. They were about frozen when they finished.  He said they'd be back tomorrow to finish the bedroom so I can get back in there.  Supposed to be about 1 degree WC in the morning. It's as cold as can be now - temp isn't so bad, it's just the cold, strong, north wind.

I made sure both water tanks were full and brought in the hoses - they're metal so not too heavy, however, for some reason my costo is hurting like the dickens - front and back - must be the way I'm sleeping on my side.  Girls have been going in and out of the barn today - hope everyone goes in tonight.

Had a call about 5 that my cousin passed about 3 p.m. today, peacefully, in her sleep.  Her sister was with her and she didn't realize she had until the nurses came in to check on her.  Geri said she was in terrible pain with her knee - bone on bone.  She had been getting cortisone shots but the NH won't give them and they couldn't get her to the doctor or hospital.  She's out of pain now and well again.  That leaves her brother and sister.  Her brother has Parkinson's and isn't in good health - has to use a walker and his wife, Geri, is not much better, if any.  She uses a walker and scooter type thing.

Sarah called this afternoon.  She has an appointment with a new PCP tomorrow and in the afternoon they're going to do an epidural or shots in her spine.  She sounds good but is really dreading having it done but maybe it'll help the pain she has in her back.

Have any of you heard about a new shot and booster for the omicron variant?  I didn't hear the world news tonight but Sarah mentioned she had heard something about it.

We had a little drizzle mid afternoon but nothing right now and hope it stays that way. 

Did I mention I talked with Jack for a couple of minutes today.  He had been to town a day or two ago and he said he didn't notice any empty shelves or shortages of things in the store.  I did hear on TV that chicken is in short supply - that was from around Philadelphia.

Had some soup and cottage cheese for supper - pretty good - really glad I had it made and didn't have to worry with cooking tonight.

Seems like it's been a quiet day on the thread today.  Hope all of you are well and just resting.

• Iris L.

Lorita, I was sorry to learn about your cousin.  Please accept my condolences in your loss.

There used to be two Chinese buffets that I loved to visit, one here and one in Greensboro NC.  But buffets have gone by the wayside.  

I played bunco again tonight.  This group of ladies has been going for at least twenty-five years!

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

20F, -7C.  Sunny they say, yes.  We are headed into the freezer though, sounds like a few nights in single digits.

Lorita so sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin.

Lorita did not have any trouble yesterday getting items I needed at grocery store.  Very thankful for that.

Forgot to mention Lorita, fixed your brown beans with potato and carrot.  Turned out good, a keeper.  Made it last year but was not so good.  Glad I tried again.  Cooked beans with a little bacon, garlic and onion.  Added veggies last 30 minutes.

Iris you are a busy lady my friend.

Day hope new shift works out well.  I worked a variety of shifts but never worked 12mn to 6am.  I don’t do well in those hours.  Some people worked that shift for years  voluntarily though.

Ron hope you got a good night’s sleep.  

To get free rapid tests if you want them go to covidtests.gov.  You get four of them.  I just ordered mine because pretty impossible to find if you need them.  The free N85 to be handed out at pharmacies I guess.  Think I read you get 3.  Will pick them up if line not too long.  Don’t think they are available yet though.

Understand that Aaron Collins was on podcast In The Bubble, the guy who turned me into a mask nerd.  Going to try and listen when I have time.  Today is going to be a busy day for me.

Take care everyone, stay warm if you are going into the freezer with me

• dayn2nite2
    Lorita wrote:

Hi Day,

If you get QVC2, the repeat of the two hour Denim & Co. show is on.  Seems like they repeat the shows so much but guess it gives us a second chance on ordering if we didn't get the item number the first time around.

Remind me of the kind of work you do - I think I'd like daytime hours better, too.  I've never worked anything but days so guess I don't know.

I don't wear nearly as much jewelry as I used to either - just a tiny, silver, puffed heart necklace, diamonique earrings and my emerald and diamond ring - sometimes another on the other hand.  I have arthritis in my hands and only two of my rings fit anymore.  First had it in my ring finger on my left hand - couldn't wear any rings but as the arthritis got in it enough the size went down so I can wear one - now it's getting into my ring finger on my right hand - same thing.  I only have one or two rings that fit that finger now..

I work in the hotel industry, mostly complaints and then when reservations is too busy I'll take their overflow.  

I forgot that I do get QVC2!  Thank you for reminding me, when I'm seeing things I'm not interested on I'll switch over to that and see what they have on.  Like right now when they're showing mops and fire extinguishers!

I guess I'll add to the medical maladies going on - 2 months ago I almost dropped a plate and when I caught it, it hit my index finger really hard.  I had a little bruise but about a week later I noticed what almost feels like a ganglion growing there, but it actually feels like a lipoma at the base of the finger.  I waited to see if it would go away and instead it's grown and sticks out from the index finger.  I haven't really wanted to go see about it mostly because I'm minimizing being in small enclosed spaces with others, but I think I have no choice now because whatever this is is actually irritating the nerve now and I keep hitting it on things which makes it hurt more.  It's just the most bizarre thing.  I'm going to call and make an appointment today, I hope it can be taken out in the office but I'm afraid it's gotten too big for that now.

I got groceries yesterday and the only thing I noticed was some canned goods like soup were in short supply and they still have a limit of 2 packages of beef, pork or chicken in play, signs everywhere saying LIMIT 2.  Paper products seem fine and I must still be suffering toilet paper trauma from 2 years ago because I have 3 large packs of toilet paper in my storage closet "just in case."

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin.  

• Lorita

Morning,

Sara, we're in the deep freeze with you this morning and it's supposed to be colder in the morning.  There's a stout north wind and the temp is 17 but WC is 1 - but on the bright side, it's sunny - mostly.

Thank you all for the condolences.  I know it'll be heard for JW and Joanne - they were so close to her and took care of her for years.

Thank you, Sara, for reminding me about the home tests.  I started to order them yesterday and something happened so did it a while ago.  I didn't know about the masks so when I go into town again I'll check.

Glad you liked the beans, potatoes and carrots.  Makes it easy to have a full vegetable meal.  Of course if you added some kind of meat - there would be the full meal for you = with a little bit of cornbread.

When I got up this morning I got bundled up and went out and cut ice on the water tanks for the girls - some of them were still in the barn. Not long after Toad came to feed and gave them two more bales of hay - glad he did that. 

Not long after that Daniel and his workers came.  They're in the bedroom now and Stormy is on alert again.  The temperature is supposed to be in the single digits tomorrow morning, then warm up again, then another cold front and so it goes.

Day and Sara- glad you all found most of what you needed at the store.  I'm still remembering the TP shortage, too  - probably need to order some more TP and paper towels.

I order quite often from WM.com and they seem to be out of a lot of things off and on.  Sometimes I'll get the order together a day or so before I place it and by that time, something I've ordered is out of stock. 

Hope all of you are staying warm this morning.  I'll have to run water for the girls again about noon - don't want them going to the pond although they could break the ice all right - one tank had a very thin layer of ice (it was out of the wind) and the other one (not protected) was thicker but the ax broke it all right.  Haven't seen the three little babies yet this morning - probably either in the barn or laying in the loose hay out of the wind and out of the sun.  I may drive up and check on them later today.

Day - sound like you have an interesting job - I imagine there quite a few complaints.  Have you worked there a long time?   Sorry about your finger.  I know how you feel about being in waiting room and then a small exam room but if it's getting bigger maybe you should - just be sure to wear double masks.  I had a ganglion years ago and a doctor I worked for at the hospital used the old method of taking care of them - hitting it with a big book.  Didn't work so finally went to a doctor in Tulsa we knew from the hospital and he aspirated it.  Never gave me any more trouble after that - mine was on the wrist.

Need to warm up my tea so I'll be back later.

• loveskitties

Life here has been busy...and I haven't even left the house...lol.

Have been working on a paid afghan which is bigger than I normally do...it is 165 stitches across and 220 rows!  I would not normally do one this big, but it is of a soldier silhouette against a tall cross which has parts red-white stipes and parts blue with white stars.  

I have about 60 rows left on the current project and daughter just called with an order for one I have done in the past.  Fortunately, I save all my written instructions so it will take less time than a totally new one.  I still have one which I have to do by April and one by end of May which are for family!  

Have also spent a lot of time on internet and phone as it appears my mother has finally decided she and dad will move to a care facility.  The will start in an independent living apartment, with the option of moving to AL or MC units when needed.  This has been about an 18 month project just getting her to agree to the move.

Not looking forward to their move as there is a lot of stuff which will be left in their current home which will have to be decided on...gifts to family, donations, junk.  I figure it will take about 2 or 3 months to get that done.  So looks like my time is pretty much booked thru June at least.

Oh well, just glad that I am able to help out as I can...both with the afghans and with the folks.

Never fear, I will always find time to visit the front porch, rock a bit and share news with you friends.

Hugs to all,

Marie

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Marie, I'd love to see a photo of your afghan with the soldier. Sounds amazing!

Best wishes with your parents. I know how that is...cleaning out decades of items, making any needed repairs, selling the house...not to mention getting your parents situated. You can do this. Just cut yourself slack and don't stress, if that is even possible. 

Quiet week here. Cold, it was below zero this morning. 

Have you all discovered Wordle?  It's fun! Google it. Here is how you play: The point is to find the correct 5- letter word in 6 or less tries. Start with any 5 letter word. Hit enter. Letters that you have correct become green; letters that are in the word but not in the right place become yellow; and letters you entered that are not in the word turn gray. I know I haven't explained it the best so if you are interested google it, and google tips on how to play/strategy. 

Stay warm, stay safe!  Beth

• loveskitties

Beth, 

Attached is a picture...it is not the afghan itself but a picture which the afghan graph was done from.

Marie

• Iris L.

Marie, you have skills!

Iris

• Mint

Good morning

16F, -9C.  Not near as cold as they gave.  

Day isn’t it crazy how we can hurt ourselves?

Lorita don’t think masks are available yet.  Think they said sometime first of February.

You are a busy lady Marie,

Played Wordle Beth.  That was fun. 

Take care everyone

• dayn2nite2
    Lorita wrote:

Day - sound like you have an interesting job - I imagine there quite a few complaints.  Have you worked there a long time?   Sorry about your finger.  I know how you feel about being in waiting room and then a small exam room but if it's getting bigger maybe you should - just be sure to wear double masks.  I had a ganglion years ago and a doctor I worked for at the hospital used the old method of taking care of them - hitting it with a big book.  Didn't work so finally went to a doctor in Tulsa we knew from the hospital and he aspirated it.  Never gave me any more trouble after that - mine was on the wrist.

Need to warm up my tea so I'll be back later.

I like my job a lot.  I work from home so that's perfect for my needs right now.  Job is interesting and yes there are lots of complaints.  I don't get it - we have been in a pandemic for almost 2 full years and people still don't seem to understand that breakfast buffets really no longer exist (when I think of all the buffets I ate from in Las Vegas over the years and all of us using the utensils at the buffet I cringe now, washed hands or not!), housekeeping is no longer daily not only because we need to keep our employees safe but because many, many people just left the work force (and I can't blame them) or they left hospitality completely.  They expect their hotel stay to be exactly the same as before and they object to any changes.

Some complaints are real too, and I get a lot of satisfaction from helping with those.  

Lorita, I tried hitting the bump with a Bible like the wives' tale.  Didn't work!  And I thought I was going to pass out it hurt so much.  Won't try that again, so doctor it is.  I am not going to call the general surgeon who took a lipoma off my shoulder a few years ago.  The scar from that looks like a Frankenstein scar and it looks terrible.  I won't even wear a sleeveless shirt anymore it looks so bad.  So not him for sure.

It's 9 degrees.  I managed to get most of my shift off today so I'm only working 1 hour.  Yay.
  • Lorita

Morning,

It's COLD here this morning, more so than yesterday but it doesn't seem as bad because the sun is shining and there's not much wind  - WC is 4.  I went out to cut the ice on one of the water tanks and it was already broken - about 1" thick - a calf was drinking.  I'll have to fill it before long.

The men just got here to work and Stormy's back to his barking.

Day - when that doctor hit my wrist it hurt like heck, too. Can't remember what he used - but it was bigger than a PDR.  When I went to the other doctor and he aspirated it, it didn't hurt much at all so that's the way to go.

Life has changed and I doubt will ever be the same again.  People are just having trouble adjusting - we all want it the way it used to be.

Our new case count for Oklahoma was way down a couple of days ago but yesterday  it was back up where it was previously.  Haven't heard too much about the flu the last day or so but there were quite a few cases then.  Last year we didn't hear much about it - because more people were wearing masks.

When they came up in the PU, the girls came around bawling - ready to eat. I think they'd eat 24 hr. a day.  Guess the little ones are bedded down in the hay because I didn't see them when I was out. 

I'll look into wordie - sounds kind of difficult to me but we'll see.  I'm not much for playing games but I did get into working puzzles on the laptop a few years ago - might try that again, if the patience is there.

Hope all of you are well this morning.

• Iris L.

Dangerous winds are in Northern LA county, but not where I am.  I was familiar with rain storms and snow storms, but never knew about wind storms, which are prevalent here.  Many trucks overturn. 

I spent a few days at Hampton Inn in September.  They still had a delicious breakfast buffet but provided plastic gloves along with requiring masks.  Twenty-four hours notice was required for housekeeping, which we declined.  I wrote a comment at the front desk at checkout that the bathtub did not have grab bars or a non-slip surface.  In a few hours I received an email back from the general manager acknowledging my comment and promising to look into providing these safety features.  I was impressed!

Iris 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney