Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (171)

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good evening

Nicole so sorry you are dealing with this.  I hope one day when you think of him you smile instead of crying.  

Marie so very nice that your family works around things to get it done.  

Lorita remember JoC talking about how much her house insurance went up this year?  Mine went up $150.  They raise the replacement value  $120,000 due to today’s prices.

Beth your garden  must be gorgeous.  No way could I do all that.  I’m so glad I cut back this year.  Got parsley, celery and chamomile put out today.  Dread having to mulch.  Dislike all the pain it brings on.  

Found another place to get local free range eggs. Hers are just brown. She had lots of them and she had asparagus.  Bought some and air fried it for supper, was tasty.  

Lorita I work tomorrow so might not see you in morning.  

Take care everyone

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

91 right now and suppose to be in the 90s all week. Still have problems making Lou understand how central air works, always complaining about it being cold when the air is on.

Congratulations Marie, want it be nice to hear the pitter patter of little feet and know that you can love and spoil them but dont have to care for them 100% of the time.

Jimlarue, I know that 100% can help a lot and I need to just shut up and leave it alone. It was a shock to see the "active cancer" statement plus 100% permanent is rare for prostate cancer, so it had me wondering what else they found. Urologist and oncologist both have led me to believe I'm ok. Of course, taking more medication than I was and still getting that harmone shot in the belly, alone with other lower track problems I didnt have before radiation. 

Love this time of year! I use to get outside all the time, but now even when I go to the bathroom Lou is yelling out is anybody here. Hard to believe our dementia journey started 10 years ago this month. Lou's birthday is the 28th and she broke her hip 1 week before here Birthday. 

Ron

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

HI

IthinktheantshaegottenintouyoputerDon'tknowwhattodoaboutitSorryforthewaythislooks-itwon'tspaeGuessi'llhaetobreakoutthenewonei'lltrytopostonytabletbutithasproblesitoo

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, sorry about your computer issues. Hope you can get it fixed.

We do mulch every year. It is a dirty job, and a heavy job. I am glad my hubby helps me. I used to rake up pine needles and use that for mulch. However, it's quite a process to find and gather the number of needles I need. Now, I just buy hardwood or cedar mulch. I love the gardening but it is a lot for me in my 60's. Someday, and I dread the day, I won't be able to handle it all and will need to downsize. 

Marie, congratulations on your new grandbaby! 

Nicole, so sorry for your sadness. Glad you have a supportive husband and that beautiful little grandson to spend time with.

• Lorita

I can read so keep posting. Plumber coming in am.  Found a computer repair place in town so will take it in Wed.  Want to save pictures.

Sorry -Nicole  it has to  get better

• Lorita
    Mmissing Sara's early post.  Already warm here. My posts will be short-term - tablet is not doing well either. Plumber comes tomorrow. May have found someone to install ac.  Do not deal with Seats big runaround for almost a year.
  • Lorita
    Sears maintenance contracts.  Used to be good- no more.  I'm not used to doing short posts.    You all keep posting so I can read..  I had to reschedule booster to Friday so plumber can come tomorrow.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    IT GOES ON AND ON.....AND ON.......AND ON.....I AM SCREAMING WITH YOU!!!!
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All,

Lorita.   Sorry your having computer problems and I hope you can get it fixed. I also hope you can get the ins company to fix their mistake, an amount like that would scare me. If the chirping bothers, you just pick the detector up and throw it hard on the cement it will probably crack it open. 

I found a way to keep Molly in bed in the morning so I can get up and enjoy my first cup of coffee. I turn the TV on in the bedroom get my coffee and watch my morning shows in the bedroom as long as I am there she stays in bed. I can usually have two cups before she's ready to get up. 

Helen.   Your so right about May weather. In the past few days, I have had rain, snow and few days ago it was in the 70s last few days it's been lower. I woke up this morning to snow, it's all gone now and its 47 outside. 

Marie.   I envy you having family so close. I grew up in Sacramento, all my family did. We always got together for holidays. We all grew up and scattered. I am one of the oldest left its sad no one really keeps in tough, other than me with my children. I have one son who lives with me, I am so thankful for that, and my oldest son lives in Washington and my daughter lives in Arizona. I live in Oregon.

Beth.    How do you put grape jelly out for the birds? I had to stop putting hummingbird feeders on my porch, the drippings drew a lot of bees and ants. 

jmlarue.   Thanks for letting me know about taking Mollys shot records with me I never would have known that. At what point will I have to use them? 

Nicole.   I am sorry your still having problems. You loved your uncle so much please remember he is in a better place. If you're still living in W. Sacto. remember I am in Oregon. I grew up in W Sacto and I still have a niece and brother there. The drive is a nice drive, and it only takes about 7 hours. If you ever feel like getting away your totally welcome at my house. 

Hugs to all, Zetta 

• BethL

Zetta, Here is my oriole feeder. Not any problem with ants and bees there now, but as summer advances they come. When that happens, the feeder comes down. This spring I had a lot of trouble with squirrels getting into the jelly but I put on a device (on the pole) that prevents the squirrels from climbing it.

Hope you like the pic. I think orioles are gorgeous!

• ladyzetta
    Thank Youn Beth.    Those birds are beautiful. I think that feeder is also nice I might see if I can find me one. Have a good day. Zetta
  • Lorita

Beth, I've never seen an oriole. They're beautiful with those pretty flowers.

Bad news the last big limb on my 100+ year old tree has broken. Still attached though.

• Mint

Good morning 

59F, 15C. Sunny

Hope you get your computer woes straightened out soon Lorita.  Miss your posts.  

Orioles are beautiful.  Have seen them a few times.  

Had a much better day at work.  It was a very different day.  The guy training me said this has been an unusual day.  Got a little yard work done after I got home.

Take care everyone

• Lorita

Hi,

Already hot and humid hope the AC guy comes today.

Sara, glad your day was better.

Tom is back!! He came to meet me when I went out.  He was so hungry.  This makes my day.

Back later.  Hope all is well.

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Happy Hump Day!

I'm pretty sure Mother Nature has manic depression with a side order of schizophrenia. Maybe we need to hold an intervention to force her into therapy? These weather patterns are nuts. I've been itching to get out in the garden, but have put that on indefinite hold. Have turned, instead, to indoor work remodeling my kitchen. New Samsung appliances; Pergo plank flooring; new under-cabinet lighting; fresh paint; and, baseboards. I'll be glad to see it finished. My DH with dementia has had a little struggle coping with the chaos and confusion of things being moved around and all the strangers coming and going. On the plus side, it's going to be beautiful when done and never have to go through it again. I'm calling it our "Terminal Remodel."

Zetta - If you have a chance to cross the border into Mexico, while in Arizona, you'll need Molly's vaccine records and fill out a short form for the border authorities. You will also need an Enhanced Oregon driver's license or a passport - not to get into Mexico, but to get back out through U.S. Customs. Interestingly, nobody gives a fig about whether humans are vaccinated for Covid. Besides heading for the beach, plan to stock up on any prescription medicines you take regularly. While snowbirding in AZ, I'd cross the border for all my meds since there's no prescriptions required and the cost is about 20% of the US cost. Insulin was a biggie for me. It's very expensive here. I paid less in Mexico than my U.S. insurance co-pay. Pharmacies take dollars and U.S, checks, so no need to exchange dollars for Pesos or carry a lot of cash;

Every time I go to the grocery store or gas station, I have flashbacks to the inflation and recession of the Jimmy Carter years. There's an awful lot of bare shelves and the price at the pump just keeps climbing. How are you all doing in your neck of the woods? I've had to follow Lorita's lead and order all the cat food online. I think those are the barest shelves of all at my supermarket and I keep reading about mom's struggling to find infant formula. Crazy times.

Lorita - I thought you had said that you had a new laptop still in the box - or am I mistaking you for someone else? I know it's a hassle setting up a new computer, but I'd be as desperate as a toddler with my blankie in the wash until I could get back online. Hope your computer shop can do a quick and easy fix for you.

The arthritis in my hips is killing me today so I think I'm going to take a rest day. Hope everyone else is doing fine and enjoying the day.

• Lorita

Hi,

Plumber came and replaced some fittings and that took care if the leak.  AC guy came and installed AC other one not worth fixing so will bring new one in am.  Insurance raise in premium due to increase in their premiums and my loss of discount because I filed a claim.  Couple of more things to deal with.

• Lorita
    Oh, and Anthony came and put in new control panel in the generator.    Busy place here  today.
    Toad also came to get some cattle panels.  Driveway alarm got a workout.
  • SQBEAR50
    SQBEAR50 Member Posts: 104
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Congratulations on your new great granddaughter jmlarue......I'm excited for you.

BethL, thank you so much for the beautiful picture of the birds. 

Ladyzetta, your post had me in tears (good tears) thank you so much for the offer of coming to your home. I can not explain how much I need that kindness right now. 

I really feel like laying in bed and having a good cry today but hubby has given me a "honey please do list" isn't that what I'm supposed to give him? Ha.....anyway I know he's trying his best to help me keep my mind occupied. Love this man.

Nicole

• Mint

Good evening

81F, sunny, birds singing beautifully.  Heard my barred owl a day or two ago.

SQBEAR50 welcome to the front porch.  Understand the honey do list, get them from my mom.

Lorita sounds like a lot got accomplished today.  Glad you’re getting your AC.  Turned mine on today.  It is so much quieter than my old one.

Got kale, Swiss chard and lettuce planted today.  Cleaned a bed also.  Not too many weeds but lots of volunteer trees.  I would soon live in a forest if I didn’t deal with them lol.

Take care everyone, hope we all get a good night’s rest

• Lorita

Hi,

Sara's working today so missing her post.

Stormy was outside the yard this morning gate wasn't closed good.  Tom is here this morning.

Not feeling too good so will postpone my booster. T

• Lorita
    Two new ACs installed, plumbing done, generator fixed and insurance explained.  Laptop and booster may wait til next week.  Stormy was very protective - kept Brett out until I told him it was oKay.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, glad that you were able to get so many projects done.  I know you are glad to have some off your list.

Glad to hear that Tom is back...he might have gotten trapped in high water area which delayed him coming home.

So sorry about your beloved tree.  There are many things, people and animals which are important in our lives, and to lose them for whatever reason is always hard.  Hopefully you have some pictures of when it was whole.

A/C man here to do check-up.  Should be no problems...fingers crossed.

Weather here has been a up and down as for many on the front porch.  Some days more rain than we need, some days cloudy, and a few sunny.  Temps are also up and down...have to stick my nose out the door to know if I need a jacket or not when running errands.

Hope everyone on the front porch is well and having a good day.

Marie

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Front porch friends, I need some feedback! How do/did you deal with LO when your sick? I haven't felt well for several days, but finally getting back to normal. I've had low grade fever, pain to to the side of right should blade and coughing up just a small amount of blood. One night my left hip was hurting so bad I couldn't sleep. Jimlarue, guess you can relate to the hip pain! Now during all this I was still 7/24 caregiver to Lou and she was a handful for this sick guy. I know some of the things she said would never have been said at times, but me not feeling well made it hard for me to deal with. Just wondering how some of you handle your caregiver duties when you were sick.

I need to catch up on front porch gossip, but I do remember jimlarue talking about her overweight pug and it reminded me of a story from one of my coworkers before retirement. She told me her pug wasnt feeling well and took him to the vet and he had gotten so big she had to carry him in a clothes basket. The vet asked her what she had been feeding him and she said that a boiled hen she deboned. He asked the whole him and she replied yes. Needless to say the vet was able to figure out what was wrong.

Ron 

• Mint

Good morning

66F, 19C.  May be another sunny day.

Hope to be able to get some more yard work done.  Got a little done yesterday.  My yard got mowed.  May go get some mulch this morning.  I just get small amounts at a time.  Less overwhelming that way.

Glad you got a lot accomplished this week Lorita.

Ron wish you had someone you could get to babysit Lou when you are not feeling well.

Take care everyone

• Lorita

Hi, hope all of you are well.

Ron, I never had to deal with being sick when I was a caregiver. I was lucky. 

Hope you're feeling better.

Sara, don't work too hard you have time.

• Lorita
    AC guy brought instruction book and set it for me.  Toad is bulldozing some old trees up by M H they can get in with sprayer. Rain west of here.
  • Lorita
    Beth, did you get the big dust storm or habu?
  • BethL

We did not get the big dust storm. Nor did we get rain last night. The haboo was around Sioux City, on the western border of the state. They are in quite a drought there. I live in central Iowa and we are no longer in drought. We've had a fair amount of rain this spring (for which I am thankful). 

We had a 94 degree high yesterday. It's much cooler today and we opened the windows. Refreshing! 

• Lorita

Glad you didn't get the haboo,Beth.  Looked scary and reminded me of the dust bowl days in Okla.

We had some rain and marble sized hail for 5-10 min.  Cooked macaroni and cheese and made a peach cobbler for the front .porch

• ladyzetta

Lorita.   The mac and cheese and peach cobbler sounds yummy. Iam on my way to the porch. You have had a lot of projects completed at your house. I bet that makes you happy. It's good that Stormy did not go far after getting out of the gate. He probably would not go far anyway.  I hope you're feeling better, I do miss your post. 

Sara, I am glad you're starting to feel comfortable at your job. I have thought about finding a part time job just to give me something to do. There is a lot of fast-food drive throughs in my little town, but I think I would have problems with being told what to do by teenagers unless they have been taught to respect their elders.  ( ;   My summer pet sitting job has started again. I miss my little buddy (dog) so I will be kept busy during the summer. They will be going back to their home in Texas the end of September. 

We have had a few warm days but now we will be getting rain for about a week. I like rain. I hope all's well with all my front porch friends. Good Nite, Hugs Zetta 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more