Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (174)

1235»

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Had a call from Sarah. First time we've talked in a long time. We've texted. I can see why now. Her voice is so gravelly it's hard to understand. She had just come from the doctior. She has cat scratch fever. She was napping a day or so ago with the fan blowing on her. They have a young cat and guess they had been playing with it with a feather toy. The cat evidently thought her hair blowing was a feather and attacked. It caught it's claws in her  face around her eyes and in her trying to get loose scratched Sarah's face and chest. She cleansed the facial and chest wounds and put on Neosporin but the next morning? There were pustules all over her body.  Doctor put her on antibiotics to cure it. She has an appt. With a cardiologist tomorrow but dr. Said he might not examine her with all the infection.

She has decided to have the major surgery if the cardiologist gives his ok. Says she can't go on like she is and even if it's a 50-50 chance she'll come through the surgery she has to do it.

Really sorry to hear that. She has way more than her share of health issues.

Won't go into details now but Jack is in ICU with renal failure. He's improved the nurse said after dialysis yesterday. 

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lorita, when our son was 8, he had cat scratch fever! He was playing soccer and had a bruise on his arm that he said hurt. I thought he had just got hit with ball, but I watched it for a couple of days and realized it was getting bigger and hard. Took him to the doctor, he did some X-rays and told us we needed to go see this surgeon! Scared me, but we went. He took more X-rays and scheduled our son for surgery. His little are had a large tumor that was growing fast. While in surgery the doctor felt under my sons arm, opened it up and there was a a cluster of tumor’s under his arm. Surgeon said cat scratch fever causes tumors. I had never even heard of such a thing! I told my son later we will never have a cat again! I know it’s not the cat’s fault, but at the time all I could think about was I could have lost my son. We learn something new all the time! 

I hope Sarah gets okay!  

• Lorita

Thanks,Joydean, I'll tell her.  So glad your son is oksay.  I had no idea either.  Always heard of it but didn't know much about it.  A few years ago I was scratched on the hand-  it hurt like the dickens after it swelled. Had to take antibiotics.

I have four house cats- two very rambunctious so guess I better watch it.  You're right-we learn something new all the time.

Thanks for telling me about it.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Lorita, I am so very sorry to hear about Jack being in renal failure in ICU.   No one to visit him and look out for him; it must feel so lonely.  Hope his daughter is in communication.   I wonder if he will be able to return to his AL apartment.  He may need some rehab.  A very sad state of events; may he do well.

I am also sorry to hear about Sarah.  She has had such a long and troubled road.  I hope for a good outcome for her and I can imagine how concerned you must be.

Beth; the book, "Where The Crawdad Sings," was SUCH a wonderful book; it was one of the best I have read in awhile.  I know the film is coming out soon, but after having seen the trailer for the movie, I strongly recommend getting the book and reading it first.  The film will not be the same as the book in various ways.  In fact, it has been long enough that I think I will read that book again.  Thanks for the input regarding books; I love to read and am always interested in hearing about books others have enjoyed that I have not yet read.

My Kindle won't let me go to the "store" to make purchases, I shall have to call tech support.   I am horrible with technical things.

Sandy - you cradle robber you - your "younger" husband, sounds like a winner!  My neighbor down the block is turning 93.  Her husband died several years ago after a long Alzheimer's journey.  Well; about a year or so ago, she was introduced to an elderly gentleman; they are now an item. He lives in Texas, she lives in California and they travel between states and talk on the phone every day.  She will not relent and remarry even though the fellow is nicely financially "fixed" in life and would like to wed.  She keeps saying, "I never thought anything like this would ever happen to me again and at this age!"  She is a prim and proper lady, so that dynamic was nothing she looked for or expected.  It is a joy to see her happy.

I am sorry to hear of the rain you are having Sandy - 17 to 24 inches!  It boggles the mind.  We are desparate for rain and our drought is awfully bad with lakes and rivers drying out and all that means.  Also, am sorry that back pain is still a tribulation.  I hope it improves very soon with the injections in time for your vacation ease.  It sounds like a good trip is in store, we will wait to hear how it all goes.

Ron; on the Caregiver's Forum, there is a long Thread from "George" that is all humor.  In it, there is a reprint of a column from the Pulitzer Prize winner columnist, Dave Barry, regarding his prep for his colonscopy. It is hilarious.  He has such a way with words.   What a night you had; sure hope that today gave a little nap or two to make up for it.   We do thank you for not sittin' on the porch for awhile after taking the nuclear prep - you surely are a gentleman - and a good southern gentleman at that!

Have been wondering about my white pandemic hair.  It used to be tinted a soft brown with subtle highlights; but with the pandemic, I stopped going to the salon and thought to let it go gray, but got white instead.  What is surprising me is how curly it has become.  Not frizzy; really curly.   No matter how I blow it dry, within a short time - blink, blip, sproinnngg!!!!   No control, just curls.  Honestly; getting more "mature" does bring some interesting changes.   Well; at least I don't have to shave my legs any longer.  So there!   Do not like looking like I had a perm and am envious of those with straight hair, then I remember to be thankful for a full head of hair.  Such an inane concern; so small in comparison to so much else all around us and in our lives.

Oh geeze.  My DH just ordered and got four different kinds of sweet muffins and two kinds of cookies and some other goodies - I do not need them; so shall have to gear up my "won't power."  As mentioned before, he is a diabetic and I am deeply concerned; he is heading toward insulin if he continues on such a bent.  Love him dearly, met him when 14 in Junior High and we became friends in a group of friends.  Later, in high school, we became an item and eloped at age 18 much to the shock of our parents.  It is a wonder we made it the way we did, but have worked hard to achieve.  College for me came much later and onward to a Master's and he too climbed in his profession.   We do think about how we managed with such odds against us and I am so grateful and remember to say, "thank you," each and every day. 

Just saw that it is for sure that the series, "Frasier," is coming back.  They will soon begin filming and some of the original characters will return.  Wonder if they can make this one as good as the original series was.  My favorite character was always, Niles, played by David Hyde Pierce.  His acting; timing, body and facial involvement was spot on and never flagged.   What an actor he is; would have loved to have seen him on Broadway.  There was one episode, all him, where he had no dialogue but Niles was trying to iron a shirt on a non-cooperative ironing board; he was hilarious.

Sometimes trying to "improve" a show is its downfall.   We have enjoyed the PBS series, "Endeavor," in the past years; however this season eight is really way off.  They are now "improving" and "advancing" the characters.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  The scripts have been really awful and cheapening and all the reasons for watching the show are now mostly gone.  However; they are filming the final season nine and it will end next year.  Wish they had stayed faithful to the characters.   Sometimes artsy folks forget to stay real, especially when new writers and new producers are brought into play. 

We are being careful with the use of water and sticking to the drought rules.  So far, so good with the plants and shrubs.   Hope it stays that way; we shall see when the big heat hits.  Will hope for a wetter winter, but it is projected not to be a very rainy one again.  Really glad we have automatic sprinkling systems in both back and front yards and in all planters, it really helps to have them timed and to time them late at night as recommended; it also ensures there is no run-off waste of water that way.

Don't know what is with me today; I am SO sleepy.  Slept well last night, but I have fallen asleep twice while sitting and reading and doing some written work.  Got to get me some energy here soon.  Strange.

Glad you got the water put out for the herd, Lorita, that must be a long job getting it all done. Is there any way to have that fixed so you can have it be an automatic fill if you turn a switch or something?    That little group of calves sound really cute.   Children of most species are cute and adorable to watch.

Time to get me going and keep my eyes open.  Once again, thanks for the book information Beth; I am going to check them out.

J.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I sure do hope that Sarah can get some relief from her health issues.  She surely has suffered with one thing and another.

Sorry to hear about Jack being in ICU.  I hope they can give him some anti-depressant so that he will have the will to continue on.  

Sending prayers for them both, and all here on the front porch who are feeling less than chipper.

Ron, you have my sympathies regarding having to do that prep med.  In years gone by I had to do it twice, and didn't think I could get past the drinking much less its effects.  Hope all the tests have good report.

Hugs to all,

Marie

• Lorita

HI,

It was 96 at 8 p.m. and no wind.  I went out to top off water tank and saw a cow across the pond in the use to be hog pasture.  So, had to go check.  Not sure when he was born but colostrum has passed through.  when I got there I told her to let's go to the house.  She took off with baby in tow.  When we got to the gate to the other pasture by the house baby ended up on the wrong side  of the gate.  Happens often with new babies. Got out and guided baby to the other side.  Mom was right there and they took off again.  I hope he wasn't out in the sun all day. I saw a cow by herself in that pasture this morning but not on that side of the pond and she came up, I think.  So glad I went out. Not safe for a cow with a new baby to be alone at night.

Called the hospital and Jack is still in ICU. I may call the nurse after while.

Thank you all for the good wishes for recovery for Sarah and Jack.

My toe is still pink and I have six more capsules to last until Sat. Morning.  I don't think a second round is recommended.

What is the name of the thread by George?  I need some lsughs.

Ron, do hope you got some sleep today and get a good nights sleep.

See you all tomorrow.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, George's humor thread is called TODAY'S SMILES on the Caregiver Board.  I brought it to the top for you.  There is a doozy on the last page, Friday 10/5/18, about a small town in Southern Illinois and its birth rate.  Just imagine that it's your little town.  You'll get a kick out of it!

I'm sorry to learn about Jack and Sarah.

Iris

• Jo C.

Good morning, Lorita; here is the link to George's humor thread:

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t =2147540652 

Marie; you are so right about that scoping prep.  They used to and sometimes still give the patient's a product called "Go-Lytely."  Talk about lack of truth in advertising!   The worst part of this prep is that one has to drink  up to FOUR Liters of it!   In the hospital, sometimes the poor elderly patients who were unable to cooperate had NG tubes inserted to get the prep in.   Now; many GI MDs use different products.

I remember the instructions with the Go-Lytely product - - if you had to take the prep while at work, "just be sure there is a readily accessible bathroom" . . . . . oh yeah; as though this bombastic nuclear evil is going to be used at work .  . ain't no way that could be done and heaven help the person if there is not an empty stall.  Strictly an at-home product wth an available bathroom. 

Thinking of Jack and so hoping that he will be able to be helped.  What a sad turn of events, but kidney failure would also affect his thinking and processing which may hae been part of the recent problems.  Sure wish he had a volunteer companion or even a paid for companion who would visit and be his support at the ALF.  

Ron; hope you found your good western; you needed a relaxation day for sure.

Okay; it is 9:30 pm, time for me to begin to fold up my tent and steal away into the night.  Wynken, Blynken and Nod time . . . . gosh, I love that poem. 

J.

• Lorita

Morning,

Thank you, Iris and Jo.  I'll read some of it today.

It's uber warm here this morning- near 90 or above.  I've been out this morning about 45 minutes &  was really glad to get back in.I went to the mailbox.  Good thing because it was full of mail and two pkgs.

I'm going to tell you all something that most people would not believe but you all know me and the relationship I have with the girls so you probably will know it's true.

I went out to check the water tank and heard this really loud bawl. There was a big cow in the lot and I could tell she had calved.  She kept bawling and looking at me so since I didn't see the baby I asked her where was her baby.  She went toward the back of the barn and I followed - no baby to be seen.I knew something was wrong because a new mother will not leave her baby.   So, put gas in the Gator and drove around to her. Had to go through a different gate because she was at the back gate waiting for me.  Got to her and again asked where her baby was.  She looked north and started that way.  You can ask a cow where her baby is and they'll look toward it.

Sorry, needed to break that long paragraph. I followed behind her until we were way down in the pasture.  She stopped and I saw something on the ground.  I was afraid she had calved and a wolf had gotten the baby.  On the ground was a very premature baby.  Very small with no hair. About the size of a very small dog -not a puppy.  It looked like a perfect littke calf, even had little hooves. We stayed there a while and I talked to her about her baby and how sorry I was..She understood and just wanted someone to know what had happened and to grieve with her.  We stayed for a few minutes and I came back to the house and went to the mailbox.  She drifted away and began to graze.

When they lose a baby, stillborn or not, they grieve.  If one of the herd passes away, the herd grieves.  They're a family and they feel loss just like we do.

When I got back I drove down to the pond to see the girls. Most were in the water. I saw the seven little, bitty ones but not the newest.  A couple of girls were on the other side of the pond grazing so I imagine one was the new mom from yesterday and baby was laying down. I left the door open to watch as they went into the barn but only saw a few go in.  Went out and didn't see cow one.  The wind is blowing some so I think they went to the shade at the MH.

That has been my morning. I never know what to expect when I go out.  GPs just came inside for the day. Supposed to be about 104 with heat index near 112.  Hope the wind continues.

Back later.

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Wow been using for hours…maybe late now, but maybe some help for Jo and others (like me) if you have an older Kindle. The 3G service that Kindles used to use to connect with Amazon, no longer works. There is no more 3G service—and while some that had wi-fi, in addition to 3G, are supposed to still work with wi-fi, news says most are not working well, if at all. PLUS any recent power/internet/wi-fi outages can also wreak more havoc with your Kindle and wi-fi.

(Kind of same thing with old cell phones that used 3G, they’re no good now either)

We can still read what we already have; it’s the connection to Amazon to buy anything new, that’s the problem. Amazon said they would still work with wi-fi regardless, but many other experts are saying that’s not as “reliable” as we may think.

My kindle lost its 3G (as warned) around Christmas, now the wi-fi is never right, with all our power outages. All that said, it’s 6-7 years old—I’m told that’s ancient for Kindle, and indeed it is for most devices these days—so I’m probably getting a new one very soon. They are on big sale now, and Prime days coming soon…and if you have a 3G Kindle you can get even more extra discount.

Lorita, I am so sorry for you and mama cow…that must have been so sad..

DH  got a really bad dog bite—out of the blue, a dog we know and friendly with for years—n July 4. Deep, and tore off much of the skin on top of his hand. Stay3d attached  y a flap at the base of his fingers. Lots of blood. Lots and,lots. At least we got fast help at ER. DH still all bandaged, and very needy (no surprise). They don’t stitch animal bites for fear of trapped bacteria infecti9n, but a lot of new-to-me very sturdy “bandages” ….points,to need for more help at home.

Gotta go. Stay well.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,679
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Quick note, was a very busy day.  Tomorrow have to pick J up at 6:15am to take her for an ultrasound.

Yes Lorita animals grieve.  My sisters dog grieved for quite awhile when the other dog died.

Beth I looked up Rhofade.  Don’t think it will work for me.  Don’t get the red cheeks.  Get hard red lumps on face and also have ocular rosacea.  Have had for quite a while.  Had not had a flare like this in awhile.

Rescue mom sorry you have another challenge to deal with.

Hope to see you tomorrow

Good night

• Jo C.

Having big trouble getting on to this Thread last two days - either will not let me on or takes a very long time waiting to get on - sometimes while waiting, I get a message that I am timed out.

Also losing some Posts on this Thread.  Will sign off due to problem issues.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney