Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (179)

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy happy birthday Mr Ron! Hope you have a very blessed day.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY....I GUESS I MISSED THE PARTY WITH THE CHAMPAGNE...NUTS
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello All, You Front Porch Rockers.

Happy Birthday Ron, and many more. Iam glad you saw all of us singing to you. It sure took me a long time to get into that dress. I bet you and Lou enjoyed your Mexican dinner, I love Mexican food. 

Iris.  That tradition of singing Happy Birthday over the phone to your brother is sweet and I hope you have many more years of doing that. I used to sing to my sister when she was alive. I sure miss her. 

Jo.   That was a nice cake you sent to Ron. Sweet thing to do. I am glad you like your haircut. I took my nephew to the beauty collage for a haircut and a beard trim, so he would be ready for his first day at work. I also got me a haircut. We have a real nice beauty collage in Bend I go there often for my haircut. Phagans School of hair design.  

Sara.  I really don't miss the internet sometimes I think I spend too much time on it. I will be pet sitting at that same house for 11 days the first of October, hopefully I will be home every few days to keep caught up with things. It will be nice if you can get someone dependable to help you with the snow. 

My son was schedule to go to a conference in Florida he was to fly out this morning. Due to the storms in Florida, everything was cancelled. He was so looking forward to the trip, I pray Florida survives the worst of it. 

The weather here has been really nice. The fires are all gone, and we are seeing blue skies. I love the fresh air. 

Take care all, and again Happy Birthday to Ron. Hugs Zetta 

• SQBEAR50
    SQBEAR50 Member Posts: 104
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Happy Birthday Ron.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Happy Birthday, Ron!   

Iris

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Once again, I learned something new and how in the world I did not know this, I cannot fathom; I wanted to share it with you in case you had not seen or heard of this either.

We were at CVS Pharmacy after getting our COVID Bivalent Booster.  We passed by aisles of Halloween masks, costumes and decorations.  As we moved down the aisle, I saw quite a stack of blue Jack O' Lanterns for Trick or Treat candy collection.  Blue??   Why blue??  I had no idea and was puzzled.  Later, my DIL who has a nephew with autism, enlightened me. 

Blue Jack O' Lanterns are carried by children with autism.  It is a quiet way to let people know if the little trick or treater at their door seems to hang back or possibly have different behaviors, that this is the reason why.    I have never seen this announced on the news programs, so was clueless.  Really a creative, kindly and caring idea.  So now I know.

Had our Bivalent Boosters.  DH did not have a single reaction, not even a sore arm.  I experienced a day of being tired, feeling pretty weak, some sore muscles, had a few spells of feeling cold, but no actual chills; ran a very low grade temp a couple of times, and mostly felt just an overall, "ick." It lasted only a day and I tended to take unplanned naps.  As for sore arm; only slight soreness the first day post Booster and then it was gone.  Overall, no big deal.  Will get our Fluzone vaccine in two weeks.  Glad we got the Booster done.  

Our DIL made a Halloween Wreath for her front door.  She had taken it to work and someone asked to buy it, so she went ahead and sold it.  Several others who saw the wreath asked for some to be made for them and she is doing so.  She sells them for double what the cost was to make them and is pretty much happily surprised that her crafting became unexpectedly lucrative.  Had to smile; she was delighted.

Here we are, the day after Ron's birthday party; I am SO sorry Judith missed the champagne; but we can always find a reason to break out another bottle of bubbly on the Front Porch.  Geeze, the cleanup took awhile; all that confetti and crepe paper streamers!  And you shameless ones; dancing on the table top, it is going to take quite a bit of polish to buff that out.  It was fun though . . .

Going to be high 90's and probably low 100's here today.  Tomorrow supposed to be hotter and that is the day for that planned Edison outage for a few hours; supposed to be back again by noon; sure do hope so.  Will chill the house with all windows covered and hope for the best.  

Gosh, there were bright red and white petunias planted in two small brick planters on either side of the garage in front of the house - they have EXPLODED into bloom like big bright puffy, colored clouds - they are lovely, amazing in how they suddenly just seemed to go off.  Most all other flowers now out of bloom, but lots of green.

Sayra and Beth; they can grow anything and put many of us to shame on that front. The grow bags sound fascinating, such a good idea.  Won't be long before Sayra has reason to use that fellow to clear the snow from the driveways.  Good idea, best to not have to exert to that degree or to fall and sustain an injury.   My brother has a monster of a snow blower and he is getting it tuned up and ready.  Seems to me that someone I knew in the UP of Michigan had some sort of electric wiring under the driveway to melt snow or was it ice; do not recall, but I would not imagine that worked well in huge snow storms.  Wonder what the winter will be like since the weather has been warmer across the country.

So, off I go to get some breakfast, I am a bit hungry this morning.   May you all have a good day today,

J.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Jo C. wrote:

We were at CVS Pharmacy after getting our COVID Bivalent Booster.  We passed by aisles of Halloween masks, costumes and decorations.  As we moved down the aisle, I saw quite a stack of blue Jack O' Lanterns for Trick or Treat candy collection.  Blue??   Why blue??  I had no idea and was puzzled.  Later, my DIL who has a nephew with autism, enlightened me. 

Blue Jack O' Lanterns are carried by children with autism.  It is a quiet way to let people know if the little trick or treater at their door seems to hang back or possibly have different behaviors, that this is the reason why.    I have never seen this announced on the news programs, so was clueless.  Really a creative, kindly and caring idea.  So now I know.

Where I live, the blue/teal pumpkins began as a way to bring awareness to food allergies/sensitivities. Homes with one on the porch are those which can offer a non-food treat for children who can't have candy. In many places, you can register your home as a participating non-food treat stop. Carrying a blue/teal pumpkin is a discrete was of asking for an alternate treat.

Teal Pumpkin Project - FoodAllergy.org

Around 10-15 years ago, autism families represented a significant portion of those doing teal pumpkins because of the popularity of Gluten-free/Casein-free diets as a treatment. Over time the use broadened as people started using them more generally for kids on spectrum who weren't on any special diet.

I'd ask if you are presented with such a bucket. You don't want to give the kid with severe peanut allergies a Snickers bar thinking they're on spectrum and not every kid with ASD is going to want a glow-in-the-dark pencil instead of candy. My kid with ASD might TP you house for such an offense. 

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Windy, sunny and warm here.  Woke up with a sore right hand, probably from spraying GPs.

Baking bread and watching football, typical Sunday.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Good morning

55F, got about an inch of rain yesterday.

Beth do you think those brownies would be ok with avocado oil?  I don’t have coconut oil.

Suppose to be very windy today so not sure if I’ll get to work outside or not.  Maybe a little this afternoon.  We will see what works out.

Take care

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 840
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Sara, I think avocado oil would work fine. I myself substituted for honey; recipe called for maple syrup. I have since made them a second time with maple syrup. Taste seems about the same. I am cutting them into individual bars and freezing them so that when I feel like eating chocolate, I have some readily available.
  • jfkoc

I leave out the chips and substitute strong coffee for the liquid

• Mint

Thanks Beth.  Freeze all my baked goods in individuals servings.

Judith your brownies sound good.

• Lorita
    All the brownies sound good.  Very nice morning, nice and cool.  May get booster tomorrow.   Wanted to do that and PU repair on same day but can't.
  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 840
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Judith, your brownies sound good! What I like about the recipe I shared is that it is high fiber and gluten free. You can add chocolate chips to the recipe I shared too. We like chocolate and bought a Hershey's Halloween assortment bag. It has Milk chocolate Hershey bars, kit kats, reese's p.b. cups and almond joy. It won't last long around here!  lol
  • Lorita

I'm hungry so everything sounds good.

Going to get PU fixed Friday and booster Monday or Tuesday.

• jfkoc
    There is absolutely nothing healthy about my brownies but then are we eating them for our health...lol
  • Joydean

Judith I totally agree about the brownies! I don’t add the chips, love adding the coffee, sometimes I do add walnuts chopped up. So good with a good cut of coffee. I drink coffee off and on all day and have most of my adult life. When I was having to go to neurologist weekly for severe migraines, he suggested I cut back on coffee, I did, the migraines increased and after several more mri’s he concluded some people actually need the caffeine. So I have never tried to cut back or use the caffeine free coffee. Thank goodness he was finally able to get migraines under control. 

Hope everyone is having a blessed day!  We are blessed to have a day under a 100 degrees and a nice little breeze. 

• Lorita
    Ffinally had a call from Steve about fixing barn lights..  Talked to my eye doctor about allergy meds.  Safer for me to do without because of narrow angles.
  • Lorita
    Joydean, how bad is the drought down there?  Are people hauling water to their cattle and what about hay for the winter?
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
  • Joydean
    Lorita, yes mam many are hauling water in for the cattle. So many of the ponds are just mud holes. We did get a little rain around the first of September which helped. Many ranchers are just now getting to mow to get some hay in. I hope they can get enough to last through the winter. I think even the deer are having a hard time finding water.   Hope your allergies are getting better. How is the last little calf doing?  We all miss your post. I believe just getting to hear the people on the front porch is helping me personally to keep my sanity.   So I thank all of you for letting me come visit.
  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,215
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Had a late Birthday present yesterday! Lou was good all day and I slept 7 hours last night. Feel so good this morning that if I had the ingredients, I would make some brownies. 

High today is suppose to be low 80s, which is a big difference from the high 90s we've been having. Still no rain and we need it!

Ron

• Lorita
    Glad you got some good sleep Ron.  Hope your day goes well, too.
  • Iris L.

Ron, good sleep is a great gift!

Brownies--yum!

Iris

• Jo C.

Maybe it did not come tied up with a ribbon, but that was a wonderful gift from your Lou, Mr. Ron.   Delighted that you got peace and full rest; that does indeed work wonders.

Zetta, you are a loving and kind person.  So you and your "roomie" both got haircuts and he even had a beard trim; how nice of you.   Is he going to stay at your home while you are in Arizona?  So hope all works out well.  He is one very blessed person to have Zetta in his life.

Judith, thank you for the referral to the Dummies book for Kindles.  However; my original Kindle, no problem working with it; my larger Kindle Fire, no problem working with it. The issue I have is with a much later version of the Kindle Paperwhites of which there are different ones. The last one though I did my research online, seems to be missing some information on using some of the functions and it is as annoying as the dickens, but it is what it is.  I shall have to find someone who has one and have them show me the items I have been missing. Right now, I can do enough to be able to read, but boy; the full content of my library is in there and I cannot easily access it if I do not know the specific names of the books.  You are so kind to send that referral and I really appreciate your help.   I need you nearby to coordinate colors and makeup and do all your wizardry with problem solving; Judith is our expert on such things and her art background has given her the "gift."

The power outage wasn't so bad.   I had made sure all devices were prepared and we super cooled the house with all window coverings and shutters closed tight.  Weird feeling though.  The outage did not last as long as they said, so all went well.   Good thing as we were three digits yesterday and will be so again today and possibly tomorrow, then we are supposed to "cool down" to the 80's and next week - the blessed 70's!   At least so they say.

And brownies; oh boy, there is nothing like a rich, moist chocolate brownie.  I can almost smell them baking. Another dessert item I used to make long ago from a recipe my MIL gave me was a dish that had the taste of a brownie, but also had pudding . . . it was a chocolate mixture put into a baking dish or pan; water was poured on top of it and then baked.  When it was done, the brownie type cake was on top and the water had gone though and made a rich pudding on the bottom.  Sure was good.  Cannot find that recipe; it somehow disappeared.  (Best served with a small bit of vanilla ice cream on top or a bit of whipped cream, talk about unhealthy, but sure was tasty.)

I used to make cream puffs and fill them, but have not done that in years. They so remind me of my grandmother.  She used to also make an Italian cookie, the ingredients were honey and flour and that was it.  They were hard as rocks and one had to heat them a few seconds or put a small piece of bread or apple in the jar with them to have them be able to be bitten into, gosh they were good.  Had to heat the honey to almost tiny bubbles at edge and then add the flour stirring until the consistency of play dough.   She made her cookies in about 4 inches long, 2 1/2 inches wide and about a half inch or little more high and then baked them in an oven until set and just a tiny bit colored on top; must be careful not to burn bottoms.  Sometimes she would put slivered almonds in them, but not many.  One cookie lasted forever as they were not soft.  In Italy, there are many different honey cookies; these were from the small village of the family origin.

With my Norwegian grandmother and Swedish aunts, it was all about various sugar cookies and rich breads and rolls.  It made up for the gosh awful lutefisk at Christmas.

Interesting in that my DH needed prescription eye drops to be filled; he will need to use them daily for some months.  The co-pay at the pharmacy was $125!   What?  So we called Caremark, the contracted mail order prescription company our insurance uses . . . co-pay was $30 for a three month supply.   Talk about a huge difference.  Pharmacist at CVS pharmacy told us that the price would be the same at both places, but she obviously was not accurately informed.  Same drug, name brand as that is the only way it comes.  Sure does make a difference to do a little confirming of information.

Time to get some lunch and then go through some paperwork and discard stuff not needed, take good care and don't forget flu shots and Bivalent boosters . . .

J.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Afternoon, Rockers.

The brownies sound so good I just added the stuff I need to my grocery list. I took a fall a few days ago, my own stupid self. I reached behind my chair to plug in my charger and lost my balance and fell behind my chair. I had no problem getting up, but it makes a person wonder about the what ifs. It bruised my side a little and hurt a few days. 

I am enjoying the weather not getting so hot the only thing is my front porch plants are all starting to die. I will be going intop town in a few days and get my flu shot. 

Joydean.   I also think the deer that live around my house are having a hard time finding water, they have been drinking out of my bird fountain. I also am a coffee drinker, that's the reason I get up in the morning my coffee pot is scheduled to make a pot a 6am my kitties know what that means so I wake up to the smell of coffee and 2 cats wanting to be fed. 

Loveskittles.   The is a cute picture and yes, it is surprising how time flies. 

Jo.  My grandmother used to make cream puffs also and I sure do remember how we all loved them. I am sure enjoying my nephew being here he is a real big help. He has been a week at his new job at Taco Bell. He has a full-time position, that's nice it gives me my alone time I feel blessed to have him and my son living with me. 

It's been two weeks since my dear friend passed away. So many times, during the day I want to text her and tell her something. I sure do miss her as you all know it takes time when love one's pass. 

I have changed my Arizona plans. I was looking forward to the trip, but I also was concerned about traveling with my 2 kitties and my little Molly. My daughters house has a doggie door, and my 2 kitties would be long gone. I don't like change and 3 months would be a long time to be gone. I will be flying there for 2 weeks in November over Thanksgiving. My nephew also rides his bike to work and that is a 5-mile trip. During the winter I want to make sure he gets to work even if I have to take him. He loves riding his bike and he thinks he will have no problem. He will see when we get 4 feet of snow. He is from Sacramento where they have no idea how hard it is to deal with that much snow, especially on a bike. 

Hugs to all, Zetta 

• Mint

Good morning 

Fall like weather, little less than 2 inches of rain since Sunday.  

JoC glad the power down went smoothly.

Zetta it is so easy to fall. I try to be careful and aware but all it takes is one little lapse.

Take care everyone

• Jo C.
    Zetta, I am so glad you were not injured in your fall and that you were able to get back up without difficulty; those things can happen so fast.  I had to smile at your nephew feeling he could ride his bike five miles to work in the winter snow. Living in Sacramento without snow, it seems to him it is doable; it will be a learning experience for him.   Does he have an Oregon driver's license yet?  If he can, would be a good idea to have one not only for being able to drive in a pinch if he is able, but also for ID. If he has no health insurance through Taco Bell, he can apply for Oregon's OHP; it is pretty good coverage and will be a big plus to have if ever needed.  If he has not been vaccinated or fully boosted, now would be the time since he is working with the public and also to protect you.   It sounds as though he is good company and also helpful around the house, that is very nice.  Glad it is working out; you are a kind and loving person.  I understand your re-thinking your Arizona trip, it is completely logical and you know yourself and all the needs and comfort zone best.  Will be nice to have a good Thanksgiving trip for a couple of weeks, and I bet I know who will be doing most of the cooking!   It will be the best cook around and I can guess who that is.  (Smile.) My dear friend had sustained a fall in Target.  She fainted, and when she went down, the full cart went on top of her; it badly damaged her knee.  She has a genetic condition that makes her prone to DVTs as well as Pulmonary Emboli, so she must be careful and is on anticoagulants.  Her knee was so badly damaged, she needed a replacement several months later.   She just recently had that done and it went well . . . however; second day, she fell and fell hard.  First reports are that the knee is okay, but she has fractured ribs and fractured sternum with a hematoma behind it per CT Scan.  Dreadfully, horribly painful.  I feel so bad for her.   Too painful to talk on the phone or to use the computer, so we have only sketchiest of contact at intervals.  Thankfully she has a husband and a granddaughter who can help.  She is an RN and would ordinarily be managing everything, but this is one of those times one is at the mercy of others.  We just never know what the next minutes will bring to us.  Am very concerned on her behalf. My aunt who lives in Hawaii in Assisted Living, fell in her apartment this last week; fortunately she was found quickly by staff.   When in the hospital, it was found she had pneumonia, so she has been admitted.  Her daughter is flying in from California to see her. There are no other relatives in Hawaii, Aunt is there alone.  I am silently hoping her daughter will fly her to California where she lives when her mother is able to make such a move.  Lots of nice ALFs in the area. That really is far too far distance caregiving; but cousin has no direct experience in geriatric caregiving and aunt has early Alz's.  Not my business about arrangements, but so hope all goes well and aunt improves and recovers soon.  Also wonder just a little bit if she may have had COVID, but slight enough it was not detected. Last day of three digit temps today; tomorrow into the 80's and by next week, heavenly in the 70's.   Not long before we begin to see winter.  Our AC bill was astronomical in the sustained three digit temps despite not having it cranked up to freezing; we were careful.  Two story house can do that.  Nothing like an Edison bill over $600.  Yikes!    Talking about our grands and cream puffs makes me want to make them; they are so simple.  I started making them when in Junior High; so easy and SO good.  I will have to try and find that recipe for Chocolate Pudding Cake that MIL had given me, just wonder what in the world happened to it as I keep all recipes in one place.  May have gone the same place that socks go to from the laundry . . . little pixies may be hiding around corners with a trove of all the little lost things, gleeful at our pondering what happened and planning their next mischief. Sure am missing Lorita; will be glad when you are fully back.  Good to hear that the lighting will soon be fixed, that will be even more helpful as winter arrives and the days get shorter and darker. May today be a good day and may unexpected blessings find their way to us all, J.
  • Iris L.

Wow, Zetta, I'm glad you are okay after your fall!  I never took falls seriously but in my older years, falls have become a big threat to my independence.  Actually the first day of autumn begins fall prevention time.  It can be a good idea to check out fall prevention strategies.  

I understand your not wanting to travel long distance, especially with the cats.  Are they chipped?  I'll be staying home, too, except for a three day glamping trip in November with my travel club.  I always wanted to go glamping.  It's camping, but everything is taken care of for you, and you have all the amenities.  And we will be having s'mores!  Yay!

Bicycling in snow?  Ugh!  One reason I am still in Southern California is that there is no snow!  I live close to the coast, the mountains do get frost and some snow.  I don't even want to think about snow 

Last night I slept all night, seven hours, straight through.  I'm making progress!

Iris

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,215
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Zetta,  please be careful! As us youngsters start maturing a fall can end up serious. Lou's first fall ended with a broken hip and her second was a fractured leg. That is why I watch over her so closely now! JoC speaking of her aunt reminded me of my mother. She was living in a assisted care apartment and fell, my sister found her on the floor not able to get up and evidently had been there for hours. That was when the decision was made to have her in a nursing home. 

Tommorow is my appointment with pulmonary Dr. I had questioned my primary care as to why ground glass and nodules keep reappearing in the right upper lobe after clearing up. That is when she made the consultation with care in the community. Of course coughing up a little blood at the time was also a reason. No coughing blood now but I do still cough a little color in the sputum. The ground glass and nodules started showing when they were doing cat scans with contrast and pet/cat scans. It started with nodules, they would scan again and it looked ok  then another scan would show ground glass and so on and so on. This went on since November 2020 and the last one last month.

Ron

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney