Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (185)

1235»

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Iris, I take glucosamine, calcium Vit. B-12 and D-3 plus another vitamin - if I remember.  I hate to swallow all those pills but I try.  They're advertising that ROAR again for people who don't get enough water.  I like to drink water so guess I don't need to buy that.  I did get some of those sports drinks  a couple of years ago when the virus began thinking I might need them - but never drank them.

My cousin, Patsy, moved to California when she was about seven so grew up around Modesto.  She said at that time there were all kinds of orchards and acres and acres of vegetables but gradually they disappeared as the population grew and houses had to be built to accommodate them.  Her daughter lives in or very near an almond orchard.  She takes walks in the orchard so at least there are some things left.

We have another new baby!  Early this morning I saw a cow standing by the fence, north of the pond.  Didn't think much about it - just thought she was waiting for them to come and feed..  Looked out a while ago and a cow was standing in the same place looking north.  I was going to go down and check and Sarah called so waited about ten minutes.  When I went out, she was gone so drove over and looked around.  I thought maybe the baby was on the other side of the fence and I've had to try to get it through to mom.  Drove up around the girls and the first one I saw was Gray Lady and a baby!   Gray Lady is a big Brangus cow with gray around her eyes and mouth so she's probably pretty old.  The baby is a tiny, black boy - so cute.  I drove around and saw Eve and Susie and the others.  So Gray Lady had put her baby down by the fence to be safe while she ate her feed, then went back and got her.  There's quite a few little ones.  They have three fresh bales of hay and there's quite a lot on the ground for the babies to lay on.  There's some sage grass  in that hay so they're not eating that.  Mike told me a couple of days ago that big bales are selling for around $100 with some as high as $170.  Also said someone had stolen at least two bales of his hay that's still on the meadow.  He's put locks on gates but if someone wants the hay, or anything, they can cut the fence and steal what they want.   I've wondered about hay left on the meadows being safe and with hay in such short supply now, it's not surprising that people steal it to be able to feed their cattle.  He said some of the younger ranchers, without hay or able to get any, are selling their cattle.  Feed is more than double what it has been, fertilizer is out of sight - not good for ranchers or farmers.  I'm glad I don't have to worry about having enough hay or finding someone to custom bale - or buy feed.  Maybe I have the best of both worlds.

Sarah said they're still trying to get her medicine right - she's not sleeping much. Still thinking about sending her home with a nurse coming in once a week to check on her and maybe a doctor once a month.  Still think it wouldn't be too good but not my call.  I know she wants to be home and I don't blame her for that.

Zetta, I ordered Bear Creek Potato Soup from Amazon over a month ago and now it says it will be delivered around Jan. 25.  Can't imagine why it has taken so long.  Have you found any in the stores?

I want to drive around the section east of us and see what Toad and Mike's nephew have done taking down trees and bulldozing fences.  Not sure if they've fenced yet.  I do know the view out my front door is difference with the trees gone.  

Hope everyone's enjoying this Saturday.  So sorry for all the problems the rains are causing in California.  We may get a little rain in a day or two.  Wish we would so we could get out of this drought and have grass this spring and summer.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning,

Windy and warm today.   

It's been eight years today since I lost my Charles.  Probably shouldn't have but last night I read what I had written in my journal about the days leading up to losing him and what happened that day.  Relived all of it so not doing too well today.  Hope all of you are well.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lorita sorry today is a little extra hard day.

Use to live next door to a lady whose son lived in Modesto.  They would bring her raisins, she shared them with me.  You could not buy raisins like those.  We really enjoyed them.

Sun shining beautiful today.  

Made a big pot of chicken veggie soup.  

• ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,215
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Lorita, my heart and prayers go out to you today! I know today must be a exceptional hard day for you.

Ron

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Lorita, hugs across the miles as you deal with this sad anniversary.

You might want to go back a ways thru your journal to read some of the lighter, better moments you recorded before this sad time.  While it won't deminish your feelings of loss, it may help to put some happy moments on the other side of the scale.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Lorita wrote:

Hi again,

Day, have you ever tried ROAR, that drink they sell on QVC?  They have it again today and I'm thinking about ordering it but wondered if you'd tried it.  Sounds good and provides lots of vitamins.

Hooked up the water in the garden.  When I got out there one of the little heifers was almost to the tank.  Told her I was hooking it up and she began to drink as soon as the water started running.  Then, four others started toward the tank.  They'll drink the water as fast as it goes into the tank.

It is cold out there - but sunny!

The reviews are awful on it - many saying the aftertaste is terrible and really, the cost is just way too much for the very few vitamins it's supposed to have in it.  I'd save my money.  

I'm so sorry today wasn't so good.  Hoping there's good weather tomorrow so you can spend some time outside with the girls and the babies.

About the soup - there are still things that are scarce or just completely out in the stores.  I've given up on ordering Glucerna (which I like) because it's either out of stock or when I order from Amazon it's almost double what I paid a year ago.  I now drink Ensure since it's easier to get in store and online.  There's a dirty rice mix (Tony Chachere's) I've been looking for for 6 months now.  Out of stock, ordering from the company will cost me $25 to ship, I finally found some on Amazon.  
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, I'm sorry you're feeling sad today.  But I'm glad you have many good memories!

Modesto is in central CA, they call it the breadbasket for there are a lot of farms and orchards.

Iris

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Pretty sunrise this morning, sun shining again. Lorita hope the sun is shining for you and everyone today. Think rain and clouds may be coming back tonight.

Cleaning and mopping done for week, always feels good to get that done.  No cooking, plenty of fast food in freezer.  That feels good too.

Ran the snow blower for a bit.  Do that all year long trying to keep it ready if I need it.

JoC thinking of you

Take care

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living