Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just need to talk to my friends (190)

Lorita
Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Morning,

I thought it might be well to begin #190 to maybe make it easier for all of us to connect with the new platform. I hope it's easy.

It's a beautiful morning - sunny and calm - not too cold. We stayed up until MN watching Barney Miller, then slept well - got up about 7:30. The GPs are outside barking at something. Iris, I started to watch The Ten Commandments but I've seen it so many times decided not to. I'm not even sure what I did watch - boring TV as Judith says.

The Women's NCAA Basketball finals are this afternoon so I will watch that. Watched a few of the games. I can't get used to the way the girls play now - it's five on five - full court. When Carol and I played it was a divided court with three guards and three forwards on each end. Didn't have all that running to do - and, we were much shorter. I think the tallest girl on our team was 5'9".

Trying to watch some of the morning news shows but they're all about one thing so not very interesting. Day, Denim & Co. will be on before long - I do hope Jane Brown is with Gary again today. I didn't see the early morning show.

Tomorrow's trash day - again - and I have to take it down this time because I didn't last week. At least it won't be dark when I do.

Nothing to write about so I'll stop for now. I'll probably be back later.  Sandy, so enjoyed our visit last night. I'm going to pursue the reset thing on the TV. I haven't looked yet for the book that came with the TV but this morning I remembered many years ago we had trouble with our then TV going off and I called a repairman. He told me how to reset it - and it worked. That was before Directv so I know I used the TV control. I tried it last night with the Directv remote and it didn't work so I'll put batteries in the other one and try that. Hope it works. I did call to see if WM has TVs that aren't "smart" TVs. They don't but the girl said she doesn't use that feature - just uses an outside antenna and it works fine. We'll see.

Hoe everyone is well this morning and the storms weren't too bad wherever you are. Beth, glad they weren't close to you - I worried when it said Iowa was having bad weather.

Back later.

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Sun and sky are beautiful. They aren’t giving sunshine again until Friday.  A little cool out, just set my garbage out. 

Quiet day and I’m not complaining.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Gonna miss you all for the next few days as they change this site.

Be good to yourself and may you be blessed with good weather, good times and good health.

See you on the other side...I hope!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Lorita - 190!   Wow!!  We will need a special celebration when we reach 200!

I have been deeply busy with so many significant matters I have not had time to Post, but I am reading and screening the Forums each day and keeping up with everyone here on the Front Porch.  Keep my rocker waiting for me amongst all of yours; I shall see you all as soon as we can gather again.

We shall next meet on the new platform on Wednesday, the 5th. - it will be good to register asap; I expect there will be some differences as there always is with anything new, but the idea was to make this wonderfully supportive site easy to use and improved for the Members.  It will be interesting to see the new platform and what it brings.

Ron; your new avatar photo with your sweet Lou is terrific.   I noticed the two of you were color coordinated for your special anniversary.  What a loving thing to do; you do not miss a beat Ron; if I had a hat, it would be off to you.

Our Australian friend, Sandymac; omigosh; what a dreadfully frightening experience!  I am so glad help got to you as fast as it did considering how far away you were from help. I am delighted to hear that your dear husband is doing well.  The new trips sound awesome.  You two have so much up and at 'em energy, it almost makes me tired to even read all the wonerful travel plans.  Keep in touch, we often think of you over there down under. 

Till Wednesday then, warmest of thoughts and a big hug are being sent to one and all,

J.

• Mint
    Take care all of you.
  • Lorita

Hi,

I've lost my diamond and emerald ring I've worn for at least 40 years.  It has been a little bit loose - should have taken it off but didn't.  I was eating some chips just now and wiped my hand with a kleenex and realized it was gone!  

Tomorrow is trash day but it won't go down until I've gone through all of it - pet food cans and all.  I've also been wearing a big smoky topaz ring on the other hand that is also a bit large - but it's still there.  I haven't been out of the house today but twice to fill the water tank and feed the birds - just went out and checked there.  Did some laundry but just checked it and it wasn't there.  If I could just remember when I last had it on.  Also checked the bed - not there.  Darn, hate to lose that ring - it had become a part of me - guess that's why I didn't realize I didn't have it on.

LSU just beat Iowa in the Women's NCAA basketball finals.

This is sort of a sad day - like we're all being separated - guess we really are.  It'll be a long three days.  I don't remember when this happened last - 2011 I guess.

I'll be back later - going to hunt some more. I lost a heart pendant with a diamond in it somewhere in the barn a few years ago - then lost the heart pendant with Charles' fingerprint on it - somewhere here on the farm.  Someday someone will find those things - wish it could be me but it won't be because I've looked and looked.  

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lorita, I'm so sorry about your ring--I hope you find it soon!

When I watched The Ten Commandments, it was like watching it for the first time.  I watched it while reading along with the story in Exodus.  Cecil B deMille did a great job.  All of the actors were wonderful. 

I just spent three hours reviewing threads in the Archives and copying notes that I think are important.  I don't know if we will have access to the old archives.  There is so much wisdom there.

Well, like everyone else, I'll be going through message board withdrawal for the next two days.  See you all on the other side!                                                                  

Iris

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello Rockers.

Lorita. I am so glad you started 190 that is what I will be looking for. Iam going to miss all of you guys, take care a lot can happen in 3 days. 

I hope you find your ring, having 3 days without posting will give you a lot of time to look for it. With all the things you do your ring can be so many places. Do you wear gloves when you go outside? I hope you do, that might make it a little easier looking for it. Look inside your gloves. 

Beth.  I fixed some stir-fry for dinner tonight it was delicious. I found some teriyaki mixed frozen vegetables and it really added a lot of flavors to the rice and chicken. I will be doing that again.

Sandymac.  Iam so sorry about your DH but it was a blessing you got help as fast as you did. Your trips always sound like so much fun, a rest will be good for both of you. 

Well Friends, I sure hope I don't get lost out here someplace looking for all of you. Take Care, Hugs Zetta 

• Lorita

Hi - guess for the last time tonight (maybe not),

Zetta, I don't wear gloves outside unless I'm going to be dealing with wire of some kind.  I do use kitchen gloves and I checked them - nothing.  Went out to the barn and out to the water tanks (even looked down in the one with a flashlight I put the float valve on).  It has to be here but something so small will be hard to find.  I've looked in the bed thinking it might have slipped off.  It really wasn't that loose - I think I would have been dealing with something that got against it and pulled it off.  Still have all the trash to go through.  I feel lost without it and undressed.  If I could just remember when I last saw it on my finger.  Yesterday I was looking at my hands and thinking how much they look like mother's did so it must have been on my finger then.  I'll keep looking.

It's really dark in the south - down toward Texas.  I think the storms are going to get fairly close to us.  Girls are going back up to the hay.  I saw the newest baby following really close to his mother.  I drove down to the mailbox - forgot until I was almost there that I had gone yesterday.  It was okay though - had my water bill there.  Surprisingly it went from way over $100 to $47.  Since the girls have been farther away from the house eating hay and grazing they aren't drinking from the water tank so much.  Also wanted to make sure no one had been left down in the NE pasture (they hadn't been).

Zetta, I've been watching the eagles some today.  They're really working on that nest.  I hope it doesn't snow any more there so if Jackie does lay eggs they'll be better off.

Sandy, I never found that video but I did look up some pictures of men or kids sitting and standing in eagle's nests.  It said they could be 9 ft. across and several feet deep.  

I'll miss you all - wonder how many times I'll pick up the tablet to check to see who posted.

Jo - amazing that we're up to 190 already - 200 will be here soon.  

All of you take care these next three days - be safe.  See you on the 5th (Charles birthday).

• Lorita
    Ron, be careful.  Weather says heavy storms almost into Shreveport now.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Lorita-

I am so sorry for your missing pieces of jewelry. I do hope you find your ring soon. Make sure you check the chip bag, it may have dropped off in there. My mom has a couple of rings that she wears with a plastic guard as her knuckles sometimes swell. When you find it, you might want to add one to your piece. It's marketed as a "Ring Snuggie".

I have a new handyman coming tomorrow to replace some lighting in my house. My kitchen light died, so I bought a new one just as COVID hit. Then my foyer chandelier (which I've never liked) fell apart and I decided to get a new one and while I was at it, a new one for the dining room and the upstairs hall. And while he's at it, why ask him to replace the broken railing to the basement, hang a curtain rod and a new mirror in the hall bath. I hope he can wrap it up in one day. 

I hope to see you all on the flip-side Wednesday. 

HB

• Lorita

Morning,

It's windy this morning but supposed to be 80 this afternoon. Tomorrow and next day we're under fire warnings again with high winds and low humidity.  Dread that.

Thanks, HB, I did check the chip bag.  When I was eating them is the first time I noticed the ring was gone.  But, I have no idea really when I lost it.  It's just been on my finger so long I forget about it.  I dread going through all that trash and because of the wind may have to wait a couple of days.  I'll do it outside.  Worst thing is I have two weeks worth - if I can remember which was from last week that will help.

I will check into the ring snuggie.  Funny, like I mentioned I'm wearing a smoky topaz on the other hand and it's a little big.  I had thought I should take it off and better do that or I'll be looking for two.  I have a lot of rings but not one fits my ring finger - either too small or too big.  My ring finger is the one that I can't bend.  When it was getting arthritis in it I couldn't wear a ring at all but it has gotten smaller with time.

Don't you hate to have to wait for a repairman?  I know I do and that's what I'll be doing today - Jimmy and someone from the electric coop if he can find one to come.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised that they don't make it today.  The cats are running amuck - I hear things falling in other parts of the house.  GPs are outside - they wanted out about 2:30 this morning.

I'll miss posting for the next three days.  Bet we'll all have a lot to talk about when we get back on.  Zetta, by the time we get back on the thread there may be eagle eggs.  Haven't checked this morning.

Take care - will see you all in three days.  Watch out for storms.

• loveskitties

Well I made it in and found the front porch, but it sure wasn't as easy as it should have been!

Hope the rest of you rockers are able to make it back. 😊

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I’m back on too. I didn’t have any trouble. Just changed password and I found our thread. I hope everyone else gets back soon. I missed reading. See you all soon.

• Mint

Found the front porch. Hi Marie, telinde what did I use to know you by. Hope the rocking chairs fill up soon. Definitely different, going to have to nose around and figure out how all this works.

• Mint

Ok it’s pretty simple. Seems like some things are going to be easier. Just looks different, we’ll adapt and get use to it. Looking forward to hearing from each of you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 2023

I'm here.

It looks like all the message board titles are jumbled together.

It took me two tries to reset my password.

It will take me a lot of effort to get used to this new platform.

What do the stars mean?

So long.

Iris

• Mint
    edited April 2023

Tried to change my avatar back to what I had been using. Under old system it immediately changed all of them. See it didn’t change previous two posts. Will see what happens when I post this. If it doesn’t change will let it go til maybe someone else figures it out for us and can tell us how.

edit: we’ll didn’t happen

• loveskitties

Didn't realize the member names were changed...lol.

My aka was loveskitties.

I did make sure to "bookmark" this thread so it comes up at top of page.

To do this just find the thread. In the upper right corner of the words there is a blank ribbon type thing. Click on this and it will turn filled in. The go to right side of page and click on My Bookmarks.

Hope you find this helpful.

• Mint

I don’t know what the stars mean Iris. Tried tapping on them and nothing happened.

• loveskitties

I think stars are to indicate your "level". I gather that has to do with how much you post...lol

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

If you are wanting to add your own personal avatar you can. In the wide purple on the top of the page, go to the avatar on the furthers right. Click on it. The first line that comes up is account and privacy settings. Click on that. That will let you choose one the ALZ Association has or allow you to download your personal picture.

Hopefully that will help. This is a learning curve for all of us.

eagle

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

it may take me awhile to get this all figured out. 😕

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Good Morning, how is everyone doing . . . . glad to be able to "see" everyone again and hope all is well.

J.

• lettermullen1
    lettermullen1 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Once you click on Account Privacy Settings click on “Change my picture”. You can upload your own photo from your device by clicking “choose a file”. Don’t forget to hit “Save Avatar”

Good luck!!

• Mint

Thanks for info on avatar. Thought I followed all those steps but nothing happened. Will try again later, maybe there’s a glitch there.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hello, I'm here too. One of the Decorah eagles' eggs hatched.

• Seaside
    Seaside Member Posts: 38
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments
    edited April 2023

Glad to have found Lorita's porch! This new site seems so bright and easy to read. Have to fiddle with my avatar. I guess pic was too big even though I used my old one.

• Sasue
    Sasue Member Posts: 69
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments

Glad to be back. Just talked to Lorita, she’s charging her laptop. She’ll be back soon. Very warm in Virginia today, 80 degrees. Spring has definitely arrived. I read daily but nothing much to post about. Oh, we have rescued 3 horses! 2 are draft horses, very very large horses. One was a dressage show horse and the other was was an Amish farm work horse. The third is an Appaloosa. He was a buddy of the dressage horse. They all have an beautifull place to spend the rest of their days. We lost one chicken to a hawk but still have 5. Unfortunately, 2 are roosters and as expected they don’t get along. There was a fight and one was kicked out of the coop. He’s only allowed in at night to sleep.

Hope everyone has a happy Easter or Passover.

Sasue (Sandy)

• littleme
    littleme Member Posts: 70
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi, I'm back as well.

New avatar is a painting of my mother -- can't find the old one.

Barbara in Aus

• telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    edited April 2023

Sayra, you know me as Joan.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset