Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New Gal Caring for DH

Hello all,

Recently my DH was diagnosed with MCI along with hydrocephelus. He will have to have an operation for the hydro. It seems to me that he is progressing rather rapidly on the MCI. We see the neurologist on May 11th for the first time after all the testing.

Last evening was the first time I think DH was aware he is "losing my marbles" as he put it. He had to stop driving which was a tough nut for him to swallow.

I guess I just wanted to introduce myself and my DH (only 74 yrs old but a VIetnam Vet exposed to Agent Orange).

Hello to all and Im looking forward to the support from this group.

Annie

Comments

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Annie…

Welcome. I am sorry you have need of us, but am glad you found us.

The folks here are all helpful and resourceful. They have loved ones at various stages and varied types of dementia.

Even so my Handyman (my nickname for him) remains between moderate and mild, it has been very helpful to get ideas for what to do and how to handle things as this progresses.

I hope you find this true for yourself as well.

Josie

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello Annie, and welcome. You'll be glad you joined because you will get a lot of support and understanding here. I'm just wondering if they told you that the surgery might help with the symptoms? I really don't know much about it, but it seems like I've read that surgery for hydro might help with symptoms. I could be wrong.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi annie. Hope he gets his surgery promptly as normal pressure hydrocephalus is one of the few reversible causes of dementia. Good luck, welcome, and keep us posted-

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Annie,

The surgery might resolve the problem. It would be good to speed up the surgery option and you may find that things are better. I hope it changes for you. Please let us know.

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Just a little encouragement . . . My brother experienced NPH at around age 70. He was deteriorating in many ways, and was quite worried about his condition. He somewhat reluctantly had the surgery and happily he was much much better. The difference really was extraordinary.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more