Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When is it time for assisted living ?

I a new here-My mom over the past few years has had short term memory issues (ie. forgetting keys, etc..) but more recently has declined and has trouble keeping track of what day it is, keeping up with current events and her calendar, forgot how to start her car (so we took away the keys). She currently lives independently, though she lives in a retirement community. Her neighbors are all very nice but they have reached out to me and let me now that they have noticed a number of cognitive changes as well. And I am wondering if others have read about when is the best time for people with dimentia to move into assisted living vs. staying at home with more familiar surroundings. My mom is 71 years old and other wise very healthy so in assisted living she might not need that much assistance other than reminders to eat. She likes to walk so I am also concerned that I we move her to A/L she might go for a walk and get lost in unfamiliar surroundings

Comments

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum yet sorry for this reality for you and yours. Do you have all legal work done for DPOAs etc?

First let me say that my mom aged at home so I’m not familiar with the logistics of moving into new/different facilities. I can only mention what I’ve learned from this marvelous support group. If you see/hear there’s a need then I’d say now is the time to make the change. Also, plan on moving her to the new facility based on her worst day, not her best. Might MC be necessary, especially if she could leave and get lost. Others with more knowledge and experience will likely chime in.

This is all very hard, I’m sorry.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

PWDs can get lost in familiar surroundings. This is because they lose their ability to recognize known places. If they are prone to getting lost, they need more supervision and protection. In other words, they should not be alone.

Iris

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree with Iris. And my thought was, if neighbors are calling you, it is past time. Because if friends are noticing, predators will also notice if they have not already, and they can do a ton of damage taking advantage in all kinds of tragic sometimes irreversible ways while you try not to limit your mom's freedom.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more