Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Pull-up with more coverage in back?

tlh8553
tlh8553 Member Posts: 4
First Comment

My husband does not have dementia but I have not been able to find help on this issues anywhere else. I’m hoping someone can help me. He has started having occasional bowel leakage and

“accidents”. I purchased him some Real Fit Depends for the flair ups and he loves how they look (refuses to wear regular depends because of look) and feel. However I have noticed that when (sorry for the description) the “incidents” are of a more liquid consistency and he is sitting, they still leak through because the pad does not go up further in the back and slides even further down if he’s sitting. I have looked at Tena brand but I can not tell how much coverage they have without purchasing and I’d rather not waste the money if they’re not different then depends. Does anyone know of a pull up

that has more coverage in the back,

same as the front, that doesn’t have a “diaper” look. Or even if it does, we just need more coverage and I can sweet talk him into them. 😊 Thank you for any help that can be offered.

Comments

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 343
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Was trying to find thread where someone just posted about this. Here's the link to the site they referred to.

Hope this helps. Thank you to OP poster of this site.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

I think your best bet is to try samples to see what works best for you. What works best for one person may not work well for another. The link in the post above offers samples free of charge. Another very good site is https://www.parentgiving.com/. They have a lot of different products that are high quality, and you can order samples in a pack of two for $2.99. They also have a phone number on the site where you can call to talk to a representative about what might be best for you. They are very helpful.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Is he on Miralax or something similar? They can cause fecal leakage. Is he being evaluated for a gastrointestinal disorder?

Iris

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@tlh8553

A doubler added with the Depends could be what you need. Most adult incontinence underwear is primarily designed to absorb urine and contain feces. It's also designed for an ambulatory person who is standing rather than mostly in bed or using a wheelchair. To that end, padding in the rear is minimal to keep the look "discrete". Adult diapers would probably be better, but then there's the issue with acceptance.

You could slip a doubler into his Depends-- more towards the back-- to absorb his stools when runny. Doublers are not the same as guards; there is no waterproof backing.

Diaper Doublers | Adult Booster Pads | Vitality Medical

HB

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I think if you are going to use some type of extra padding, not to use the type with a waterproof side, made to stop leakage onto clothes or whatever. The reason for this is because the waterproof barrier will work against what you are trying to accomplish because it won't let the moisture go through to the product used for this. Something like HB mentioned is much better.

• tlh8553
    First Comment

Yes he is under a gastroenterologist’s care. We just completed a colonoscopy and several polyps were removed and being tested.

• tlh8553
    First Comment

Thank you everyone for your help. I am checking out several of your suggestions.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

DH is a back sleeper so overnight urine output runs downwards towards the bed, and his Depends needed some extra absorbency in the back to handle the volume. What’s working for us is the addition of a woman’s extra long, max absorbency overnight pad placed in the back of his Depends. The pads have a sticky back so can easily be attached inside the center back of his underwear. I position the pad inside so it reaches from the back waistband of the Depends down towards the crotch. (Turning the Depends inside out while placing the pad makes it easier to get it in the right position.) It’s working well to contain the urine volume, and he hasn’t complained of any discomfort. Plus the pads are readily available at any big box store.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Tlh, I'm glad to know your DH is under a G-I's care. Recently, a friend of mine and her family became infected with a parasite from tainted lettuce. I called my friend to get the name of the parasite and will post back when I hear from her.

Iris

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited August 2023

My husband has urinary incontinence and is a back sleeper too and sleeps all night, about 8 hours. We use high absorbency pull-ups and then add a woman’s type long high absorbency pad like Kibbee mentioned, but I poke about 5 tiny holes in the bottom layer only, the sticky part, so that when the pad fills it doesn’t overflow to the sides of the pull-up underwear right away, but with the tiny holes goes more into the middle section of the pull-ups. This helps protect the inside of his upper thighs when leakage occurs. Like Kibbee also mentioned, these heavy duty pads are available at most of the big box stores. Poking the tiny holes on the sticky backing can be a little challenging but we’ve had good results so far. I also ordered some booster pads but haven’t tried them yet. The high absorbency pads look thicker.

• tlh8553
    First Comment

I really like this idea, thank you! Going to try it next time it’s needed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more