Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sobering development

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,719
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Well its my turn to deal with serious and unexpected illness, and to have to figure out all the implications. I got abruptly short of breath today and long story short,I'm the ER waiting for a stepdown bed with a big pulmonary embolus. I fell a few weeks back and tore my hamstring, so they think the leg injury is the source. At the best, its going to mean lifelong bloodthinners. At worst, they may have to go in tomorrow and remove the clot. Scary and humbling. There's also a lesion on my liver that is going to have to be further investigated. Cant even really contemplate that one yet. And who will explain any of this to my dear partner? she will be looking for me and not understand my absence. she won't easily let others help her shower and change.We're all so vulnerable in our isolation.

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry for this development and will certainly be praying for you and sending all the best to you ❤️‍🩹

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1, So sorry you are experiencing your own health challenges. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What a difficult and regrettable turn of events, M1. Your partner finally settling in some, and now this. I am hoping for the best for you.

An important reminder to all of s to take care of our own health as best we can, and even with that how vulnerable and dependent our LOs are.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Praying for a complete recovery and healing for you and peace for your DW.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@M1

I am so sorry for this turn of events.

I suspect your dear partner is less oriented to time that you suppose and may not fully appreciate how long the lapse between visits is. Can your friends check in on her?

She may even allow more involvement with her caregivers if you aren't an option.

HB

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

M1, This is not the post I was expecting to read from you. I am so sorry to hear your news. I hope the doctors are able to resolve these issues for you quickly. And hope someone is coming to take care of you. Please update us when you can.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m sorry that you have these health challenges. I hope you get good news soon.

Thankfully you had moved your wife to the facility you wanted her at before all this happened. She won’t know -your visits have decreased because the passage of time is meaningless to her. Hopefully the friends who visited for you last year can visit her in your absence.,

Follow doctor’s orders so that you will be down the least amount of time- and don’t feel guilty about focusing on you. That is the best thing you can do for her right now

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

M1,

Sorry to hear of your health situation, I can easily identify with your situation. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

M1 so sorry to hear this news. Wishing a quick resolution and return to good health for you.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

M1 sorry to hear you are facing a personal health challenge. I hope you get the best of care and make a good recovery.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

I am so sorry to hear about this. You have had so much to deal with. Put yourself first this time; at least your partner is being cared for so you can take care of yourself.

• RoseGwen
    RoseGwen Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

Focus on yourself and get better soon. You have to make sure you're healthy so that you can take care of her.

Yes, she might be a bit stressed or confused but she'll be okay. She can do it (meaning handle your short absence, I know she'll have help). And you'll be back to her soon. This is an opportunity for her to increase her trust in her caregivers and for you to get some rest.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited August 2023

Dearest M; this is truly a stunning development; I am very sorry you are having to experience this. Certainly a strange turn of events. You will certainly be in my prayers and held in all of our hearts and thoughts; you are an important friend to all of us.

As scary as it feels, thankfully, today's capability with the ease of mechanical thrombectomy is used with excellent results. i know you know this, but when it happens to us personally, STILL threatening and nerve wracking as can be and of course being in the medical field, when it is personal, we tend to think of negatives rather than the myriad of wonderful successes.

As for the liver lesion; all bets are for it to be a benign condition. A hemangioma of blood vessels which is fairly common; or an adenoma, or perhaps a fluid filled cyst and other benign presentations are common causes of benign lesions that are most often asymptomatic and do not require treatment, so that will be most likely and we will hold that in our thoughts. Still intimidating and scary as hell; that is understandable.

As for your beloved Partner; I understand your worry. However, as others have mentioned, she has no ability for time frames. Until you get back to seeing her not too long from now, I can bet that your dear friends will not only continue to visit her as they have been, but will in all probability step it up and visit a bit more often and report back to you. The one thing you know for certain, your Partner is safe, secure and well cared for in an excellent environment. That is golden. The rest will pick up a bit later and will seem as though not a beat has been missed.

Know that we are thinking of you and will be looking for your messages to let us know how you are doing; and know dear M, that we are with you, by your side, in spirit.

J.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

M1, I am so so sorry and saddened by this turn of events for you. I know you’re worried about your partner, but she will be taken care of. You’re the one who needs care now. My prayers are with you. Sending hugs.

Brenda

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

M1, what an unexpected change! I'm sorry you're having your own medical problems now. You don't have to worry about your partner. You have to take care of yourself now. As quilting mentioned, that's the best thing you can do for her. She'll be fine in your absence. Prayers heading your way. When you feel like it, please keep us updated.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

M1, praying for the best outcome. You'll be in our thoughts xo

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

M1 so very sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation with your health.

You dear partner is in a safe place and from what you have said, she is receiving good care. Hopefully your friends will be able to increase their visits to her to ease your mind that all is well on that front.

Now is the time you have to concentrate on yourself and recovering.

Prayers and hugs for you both.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1 I am sorry to hear about your changing health. It is a reminder that everything can change so quickly. Others have said it and I agree your dw really won't comprehend the time gone by. It is you who remembers so listen to the doctors and take whatever time you need to get well. You have definitely set your wife in a great place with great caregivers. I continue my prayers for you and dw.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Horrible......

I wish we were there to help you and to paint with your partner.

Please keep us in the loop!!!!!

-Judith

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I have just experienced the same medical emergency (July 20). My DH is still home but fortunately, our children were able to care for him while I was hospitalized.

Your DW may not realize the severity of your emergency - mine still doesn't. I guess that's a blessing in a way, but for you it doesn't help matters. I would love to have the compassion and understanding from my DH, but it's not his fault he can't give it.

It sounds like your DW will be taken care of where she is, please take care of yourself. Prayers for all.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

🙏

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

So sorry to read this, but glad that you went to the ED quickly. Sending prayers for you and your DW.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

M1

So sorry that you are experiencing this. You are in good hands so allow yourself to be helped through this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am truly sorry you are experiencing this trouble. As you know I've had my own unexpected medical issues to deal with at the same time as caring for a LO. As such I don't mean to be insensitive but I think this is a reminder to many here to have a "Plan B" for caring for your LO should something unexpected interfere with your ability to care for them directly yourself. Sorry for the PSA.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sheez, M1. Are you in the ICU? Is your breathing eased a bit? My vote is for incidental liver lesion, too, as Jo mentioned.

It is especially difficult when the tables turn and you are the patient.

Rooting for you! Allow yourself to be the patient- pretend you know nothing about PE or liver lesions. Sometimes health care professionals don’t receive the same care as non-professionals, as assumptions are made.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

M1, I'm sorry to learn of your two serious conditions. Best wishes on your testing and treatments! Get well soon!

Who is caring for your animals?

Iris

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh, no! Just thinking of you and hoping for a good outcome. I can feel all the concerns weighing on you through your post. Remember that your DW is in a good place because you made sure to help her get there, and that if she could, she would tell you to rest and heal.

Do keep us informed as it is possible to do so. Take Care.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Very sorry to hear you are struggling with health issues. Will be praying for a complete recovery.

I’m very glad your wife is in a facility she likes and is getting good care. You can take the time you need to focus on you , knowing she is in a safe place. That at least is one thing you don’t have to worry about

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I’m so sorry to hear about these health challenges. Praying for the best possible outcome.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

M1,

I am sorry to hear about your new health issues. This in addition to your recent back problems and caring for your partner, it must be a lot to deal with. We humans are wonderfully complex, and yet quite fragile and vulnerable. I'm glad that you are being well cared for, and that your partner is in a great place with caring and attentive caregivers. I join the others in hoping that your partner won't be greatly impacted by your absence as you tend to your own health needs. I continue in prayer for both of you.

Tom

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney