Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to communicate with a parent in denial

stvogelsang
stvogelsang Member Posts: 1
Fifth Anniversary

Hello! Rather abruptly it has become clear my mom will need to be in MC for at least the immediate short term, or even longer. She had an episode of delirium after attempting to travel solo to a family member, and while she has largely recovered, her baseline is way worse than before this episode. She was released from the hospital onto a skilled nursing floor for oversight for a few days until she was cleared to go back to her apartment. Unfortunately the caregivers are not comfortable releasing her back to her independant living apartment, even with nurse check-ins throughout the day and a companion every afternoon.

The problem is that my mom is "with it" enough to argue that she is fine, and is agitated and very confused and upset at being prohibited from going back to her unit. She is desperate to get back to her own space (and I can't blame her!).

How do I tactfully communicate that she is worse than she realizes? Is that possible? How do I express empathy, but hold the line that she is not safe on her own and needs to be cared for?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

I’d try telling her that the doctor won’t release her YET. And that her insurance will only be valid if she follows the doctors’s orders. Also that delirium can be recovered from quicker if she follows orders. truthfully it can take several weeks to recover as much of the baseline as possible.

Don’t even imply that her stay will be permanent or that her condition won’t improve. Just say that she hasn’t met the doctors goals Yet but that reaching them is still possible.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Your mom is not "with it". Please read about anosognosia, the PWD truly believes she is fine, and will become upset if you confront her with reality. So do not try to convince her, but learn the work-arounds that the members use. There are links for anosognosia but I do not have them.

Iris

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more