Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm new here and I want out...: (

miaR
miaR Member Posts: 3
5 Care Reactions First Comment

DH diagnosed one month ago and our lives are out of control. I am the caregiver, now only driver, home caretaker, as well as the target of his anger, rage, distrust, you name it. Not sure what to do, where to start. I dont even know this person really...and I now realize thats been going on for years. Here I thought we were just having adjustment to retirement issues, I filled my time with travel books and thoughts. Little did I know the bear in the room was Alzheimers stage 4. What does that even mean? He accuses me of tricking him to see the neurologist and getting the diagnosis. Quote, "I didn't tell him before we went to see the doctor". We had to wait 6 months to get in to see the doctor, then tests done, MRI and blood work. One more month to hear the news...In all of this I am the bad guy. In reality I'm trying to save his life! Even tho I am giving as best care that I can there are days that I just want to quit...thanks for listening, I'm sure someone out there can relate. 💔

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

You've gotten some excellent advice here, and I have used many of these suggestions myself, particularly tending to legal and financial matters first and educating myself about dementia. I would add to feel free to seek counseling/therapy for yourself. It has helped me greatly. Look at it this way: This is you getting help for yourself so you can continue to care for your loved one. Your LO cannot help you understand what's happening to him, but a qualified counselor might be able to.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Mia,

Please read "the 36 hour day" and the attached Tam Cummings handout. Check Her out of YouTube. Also, Tepa Snow on Youtube.

• boogerbear
    boogerbear Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment First Anniversary

I hear you for sure. Anger and distrust has been our issue for so long. Did not know what was going on until I noticed memory problems. My kids want me to leave but there is no way out now for he has no family to help. It is me! I do burn out and go to exercise and work at a club that I belong to. He does not want people around at all. Hates my family and tolerates my children. He stays home all the time with no interest now. I do go during the day for he can take care of his needs but I take care of everything else. I think I am going to hire someone to come in for two hours a day so when I want to leave town, I will know he is okay and will eat.

I pray each day. I am unhappy with him and just want out and I know that he could not take care of himself. We have been married going on 40 years and this is my second marriage so my children are not his even though he helped me raise them which I will never forget.

I need suggestions or just know I am in the same boat as other people are.

Carol

• mkwilkinson
    mkwilkinson Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Good evening everyone. I am a very new addition to this discussion. My DH has been formally diagnosed for several months. I don't recall when I first noticed symptoms. He suffered more than 6 TIAs in 2020 which officially began our journey. It was after these that it became obvious. He is no longer driving and he seems to be resigned to it. He was previously married for 53 years when his wife died of ALS in 2019. We met at church and married in 2021. We sold our respective homes and bought a new house after marrying. This has been an obvious difficulty with his memory. He frequently believes we don't live alone, that someone else lives with us. And also thinks that we need permission from someone to be able to live here, as if a nursing facility or something g like that. Usually all it takes for me to explain is that we live in a single family dwelling and don't need permission to live here. I expected that he would be confused about who he's married to. But for now he seems to remember that his wife has passed away and I am his wife now. There are so many things that I'm not sure of and will need help with as I move forward in this journey. It's so reassuring to know that I can find friends among you and a place where I can get some of my emerging questions answered. I don't even know the questions that will come. They are currently swirling around my head and regularly pouring out at different times of the day. I do feel very lost and worry that I will smother with this disease that's now taken over our lives. Thank you for giving me this space to vent and ask my questions. I'm a very faithful believer that we are going to get through this but not without a lot of bumps in the road. I appreciate any thoughts and advice.
  • boogerbear

I sure can relate. My DH of 40 years would not go to the doctor accusing me of tricking him. He had anger issues which scared me but I knew he had dementia but not sure which state. Each night he had a time he would wake up and check the windows and doors holding his gun. I would talk him down to get back in bed that all was okay. I was planning on getting him help after Christmas when my grandkids left. He had issues with my oldest son who was walking down the hallway at 2:30 am and the dog barked and woke him up. He got his guns out to shoot him and I tried to talk him down but he was a threat to me. I called 911 to get help. They put him in the hospital and medicated him. My guilt is that I would not go see him until the last day before he was taken to a psychiatric hospital to get him medication that would level him out. By the time we picked him up, he was in pull ups. Of course his speech was hard to understand which he already had. His dementia got worse and he did not know me. I was so saddened by this and eventually he could not walk without a wheelchair. My regret is I should have brought him home but was scared for the police took his guns out of the house and he would be so angry. After being home, he passed away. This has been so hard but again, I should have gotten him in to a neurologist and psychiatrist but I knew he would have fought it. He is now at peace and I miss that person I married.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@boogerbear please, no guilt. This is what one of our longtime members always used to say. No guilt. It sounds like there very likely would have been a much more devastating ending if you had not gotten him to the medical professionals for help.

It may sound unfeeling and I do not mean to, but our LOs are dying of dementia and the brain devastation can take others with them as well, unnecessarily. You and the rest of your family did not have a terminal disease as far as I know, but his aggression with access to weapons, and attempting to shoot someone would not have ended well. Obviously, guns are very final. Please, please do not feel you should have done something different as if you caused his decline and passing. We did not cause their disease and can't cure it.

I am so sorry for what you went through. None of this is your fault and it sounds like you saved your son's and your own life as well as possibly others. That was the right thing to do. The people we married are long gone by the time this disease takes over to the extent your DH had reached. We truly understand how horrifying and impossibly hard all this is. I wish you peace.

• forthelove
    forthelove Member Posts: 6

still working on getting a diagnosis. I can relate to everything you are saying. Having no one to vent my frustrations to makes it even harder. I’m going to find an Alzheimer’s support group to help me cope. Hang in there.

• forthelove
    forthelove Member Posts: 6
  • boogerbear

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am learning to forgive myself by using this website to talk to. I do miss that other person. It was tough to decide to call the police and they put him in the hospital to calm him.

• Dogsaremylife
    Dogsaremylife Member Posts: 46
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh boy, can I relate!! This change of character is apparently very common and it makes the misery ten times worse for YOU. My husband was diagnosed 6 years ago and has descended into Stage 6.5 within the last 6 months. He needs full time care so I find that I am frequently so overwhelmed I want out, too. Try to remember, that all things change. It will not be like this forever, and you will come out stronger. Blessings!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more