Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Late stage/seventh stage care

I'm fairly sure mom's completely in the last stage now, no longer straddling six and seven. I'm trying to find resources on what exactly her care needs are for this stage in life because it's vastly different than anything I've been through before. I have tried some web searches but they all seem rather vague and general which doesn't help me know what to do next.

Like, the websites I've found say they need 24 hour care. What is that care? What does that entail? Hospice said that she doesn't need that yet. So who's right? How would I know?

Does anyone have resources that are more indepth that they can point me to? I'm so stressed out thinking that I'm not doing it right and feel like I'm neglecting something important.

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 787
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited January 1

If your Mom is active still at night, if she is agitated, restless, not sleeping, attempting to get out of bed, etc are indicators of a need for a nighttime caregiver; if only for your peace of mind and/or your ability to get rest.

I’m sorry for this situation. And, everything you are trying to do is right .

• DCCEPEK
    DCCEPEK Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Carimg for MIL same scenario. I do keep her arms and legs and privates clean.

Using lotions opposed to soap help with molting. Keep em dry and if you can change position. to me most important is clean and dry diaper. My heart goes out to ya. It's hard. Keep posting and reading. This is a very informative forum

• CatsWithHandsAreTrouble
    CatsWithHandsAreTrouble Member Posts: 370
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

@JeriLynn66 not mom, no. She's completely bed bound now and can only wiggle her feet. Doesn't react to much but occasionally tracks movement. She used to roll around and slide out the bottom of the bed or stick her feet in the railing just a few weeks ago.

Thanks @DCCEPEK . I seem to be the only one who applies lotion to her; at least my younger sister does chapstick for her. We just switched to incontinence underwear that has tabs on the side so we can change her in bed. I can't change mom's position often because of my wrists being poor but we have an inflatable mattress that should help deter pressure sores.

I kinda wish the site change last year didn't get rid of the years of posts because I cannot find any remotely helpful these days. Maybe I'm picky.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Be sure to check the inflatable mattress daily. If it's a waffle type, with large dimples, that lays on top of the bed, slide your hand under the mattress near her bottom. You should be able to feel her through approximately 1-2 inches of air. It's tempting to over inflate waffle mattress overlays.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hey @CatsWithHandsAreTrouble have you had your mom evaluated for hospice care? I couldn't tell from your post if you had done that.

If you haven't done so, think about having your mom evaluated. If they accept her, it'll make a world of difference for you - and her.

I've had Peggy on hospice for a month. It's been so great for both of us.

@GothicGremlin yep, we've had hospice for about as long as you and Peggy. They have given us a lot of equipment that makes it easier to care for mom.

@JDancer thanks for the info about over inflation. I let the delivery guy set it up and assumed it was fine. I'll pass the message along to my older sister who's watching mom today while I work.

Well I guess my concern is practically a moot point now. Hospice said she's probably in her last week of life. Just making sure she's comfortable, clean, and such

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I was referring to an inflatable waffle overlay. If you have a large inflatable mattress, my information will not apply.

edited January 3

My apologies for the confusion in terms; yes, we have a large waffle overlay. Hospice checked it today and they said it was just the right amount

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more