Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Obtaining POA in NYS

rosecoloredglasses
rosecoloredglasses Member Posts: 27
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
edited January 9 in Caring for a Parent

Hello everybody! I am stuck on how to obtain POA over my mother in NYS. There is so much info on all the different types of POA's my head is spinning. I know the easiest way would be to hire a lawyer, but I don't think I have the money for that. There are tons of "free" templates online, but they're never actually free. Being 24 and not in law school I have no knowledge of legal terms to write it up myself, so I really have no idea what to do. It's quite frustrating, so if anyone has any advice or tips I would really appreciate it. Hope all of you and your loved ones are well!

Comments

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 471
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I came across this site. What legal planning documents do I need? | LawHelpNY I do urge you to find a lawyer, this site says they can help with that. Banks sometimes will not accept even a lawyer drawn up POA, and the advice you get from a lawyer on what not to do with a POA is very valuable. You do not want to do something which will make your mom ineligible for medicaid or that will make you responsible for your moms bills.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. At your young age, all the more reason you need to consult a qualified individual. A certified elder law attorney (CELA) can not only make sure you have the correct documents but can also help you understand how to handle your mother's finances should you need to apply for Medicaid in the future to pay for memory care or nursing home care. Look at nelf.org for lists by location. Many will offer a free consultation first and the cost can be covered by your mother's estate, not by your own pocket.

This is very complicated stuff, getting the correct legal help is just as important as getting the correct medical help. Towhee is right by the way, many banks or investment companies will want you to fill out their own POA forms in addition to having a general POA. Ask at any institution that handles your moms accounts including any retirement accounts or IRA's.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more